The famous unknown

edited May 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 14,799
This thread is about all the actors and actresses whose face many people have seen, or voices they heard but cannot remember their name. Tell us about your favourite non-star and why he/she should be better known.

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Michael Parks. Brilliant actor. Among other roles, he plays sheriff McGraw in several Tarantino films.
    The first that comes to my mind is David Prowse. Not my favourite, but someone who literally lived in the shadow of the character he played in one franchise, and who never made him famous.
    Sterling Hayden is another one. Two Kubrick movies, McKlusky in The Godfather... And who knows him?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm not sure how popular he is in other parts of the world, but I think Alan Cumming is one brilliant actor who can dive into any kind of role, any type of accent, and absolutely nail it.

Another great actor (who is usually typecast as the bad guy, but I doubt many people know him) is Michael Wincott.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 479
    Harry Dean Stanton is definitely someone worth mentioning. A brilliant actor who has played supporting and small parts in many great films.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm not sure how popular he is in other parts of the world, but I think Alan Cumming is one brilliant actor who can dive into any kind of role, any type of accent, and absolutely nail it.

Another great actor (who is usually typecast as the bad guy, but I doubt many people know him) is Michael Wincott.

Alan Cumming literally blends in his characters. People remember them, but never him.
    @Ludovico, agreed. He's stunned me in all of the films I've seen him in. Like I said, any character, any accent, he can nail it down to perfection. Surprised he's never won an Oscar.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Ludovico, agreed. He's stunned me in all of the films I've seen him in. Like I said, any character, any accent, he can nail it down to perfection. Surprised he's never won an Oscar.

I think it is mainly because most of his roles, although memorable, were minor and often not in movies that are deemed Oscar material.
    Well I figured 'Any Day Now' was more than Oscar worthy. Fantastic performances all around.
    I haven't seen it, but I meant in general.