What? Predator is being rebooted. Crazy crazy crazy.

edited June 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,782
http://www.superherohype.com/news/306131-shane-black-to-write-and-direct-predator-reboot?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=shane-black-to-write-and-direct-predator-reboot

Jeez for all things holier than holy. You do not remake Predator....ever. Why do we need this to happen?

Cinema history was made with that film...'Run...Get to da Choppa' will be blown away for future generations. No, no hollywood.

Create new stories please new ones.

Comments

shrugs at least jaws Is not being touched
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I posted this in the 'Coming Soon To Cinemas' thread. If we made a thread for every reboot, this whole forum would be flooded with them. Hollywood opts to reboot a film almost every single day, it seems.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Risico007 wrote:
    shrugs at least jaws Is not being touched

Give them time. And the shark'll still look fake.
    Pure laziness from the studios but you can bet people will go see it! I for one won't bother.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I will bother, keep those remakes coming. Well ,maybe not Naked Gun.

DEFINITELY not 'The Naked Gun.' At least Shane Black can be a great writer and director, and he did star in the original 'Predator.' 'The Naked Gun' remake will be a trainwreck from the get-go.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote:

DEFINITELY not 'The Naked Gun.' At least Shane Black can be a great writer and director, and he did star in the original 'Predator.' 'The Naked Gun' remake will be a trainwreck from the get-go.

That is my fear ,but will check out a trailer at least before vomiting all over the prospect. Still very skeptic.
    I'm actually excited for the trailer for 'The Naked Gun,' just so I can scoff at how awful and temple-rubbingly terrible it looks.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited June 2014 Posts: 17,687
    Creasy47 wrote:
    At least Shane Black can be a great writer and director, and he did star in the original 'Predator.'
    His friend Fred Dekker is also writing. This may be one of the few good reboots; we'll see.
    So far, every Predator & Predator-related film after Predator 2 has been pretty worthless.
    This is more crazy out of hollywood. Why remake "Predator"? That original is Arnold's best movie. It is timeless. We have always had creative and talented writers all over the country, not just Hollywood. Hollywood has a fair share of these people. Why do they not utilize what is at their fingertips?

I will tell you why: because the studios are owned by global corporations who only care about the profits to their share holders. Execs are cowards who fear loosing their jobs (too many ex wives to pay alimony to, and kids in private colleges) if they greenlight something that fails. They want to play it safe with something proven. Why do this when some reboots, remakes suck annally? They feel this is safer than hoping for a suprise hit like "Crash" or "BrokeBack Mountain".

They have proven directors and writers, why not let them try something new and fresh? I tell you , I am tired of the remakes, CGI extravaganzas.
    @chrisisall, Shane Black is writing the first draft and I think Dekker will put the finishing touches on it. Either way, Black has a hand in the script and I'm happy for that.

@OHMSS69, I disagree, I think Schwarzenegger has so many other better films (the first two 'Terminator' films, 'Commando,' etc.) but I agree in that they should've just done a proper sequel instead of a reboot. Still, I'll admit that I'm interested if they manage to do it right. Like I said, I didn't care for 'Predators,' but I really liked Adrien Brody in it (totally underrated, not sure why he does so much crap these days after winning an Oscar for 'The Pianist') and would've enjoyed seeing him return for another movie, given the ending to 'Predators.'
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Pass.
    Black & Dekker might tool together something special.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Black & Dekker might tool together something special.

Oh I like your style. You're good.
    Shane Black brought us great buddy films in the late eighties, early nineties. His characters and good dialogue has given us some memerable scenes in some movies. He has dropped out of sight since Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, a film he wrote and directed. Now he goes back to writing. Maybe he still has the touch, but I would prefer not to see "Predator" rebooted.

I simply love that film and never tire of watching it.
    "I don't have time to bleed"
    "I was going down on my girlfriend..."
    "Thats a real nasty habit you got there."
    "Not a scratch, not a fucking scratch..."
    I would prefer it doesn't get rebooted, either, but alas, that's what we have to work with. I'll catch it on Redbox.
    It depends on whether they just recycle it or not. Given the creative writing talent involved, they may come up with a new & refreshing take on the concept that doesn't negate the original in any way.
    *fingers crossed*
    chrisisall wrote:
    It depends on whether they just recycle it or not. Given the creative writing talent involved, they may come up with a new & refreshing take on the concept that doesn't negate the original in any way.
    *fingers crossed*

That would most certainly be a nice change of pace. They can keep it simplistic and entertaining (with a feel of the original) while making it their own.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 5,767
    What´s the big fuss about? We had Predators not too long ago, so there´s no need to be melodramatic now.
    As long as they don´t put Black on a leash, I´m absolutely fine with this. I like Iron Man 3, but compared to Kiss Kiss Bang Bang it feels as if Black was in shackles. This should be different with Predator, as long as they don´t decide to go PG13.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 13,879
    Just like the Terminator franchise, I had hoped they would continue the story from the most recent film. However, after learning what we know of T5, my disappointment has mostly been extinguished. Regarding the Predator franchise- I was hoping we'd get a film that would (at least partially) focus on Adrien Brody's character struggling to keep his sanity on the alien planet, but ultimately following in the footsteps of Lawrence Fishburne's character. I seem to remember reading that the producers scaled back Predators, as they had a lot of ideas for a sequel or prequel to it.
    There is barely any continuity between any of the predator movies, every subsequent Predator movie is a reboot bar Predator 2.
    The character Isabelle from Predators makes a direct reference to the team from the original Predator, so we do know that film is in the same, original timeline.
    QBranch wrote:
    The character Isabelle from Predators makes a direct reference to the team from the original Predator, so we do know that film is in the same, original timeline.

Did not spot that, though only watched it a couple of times a few years ago.
    Did not spot that, though only watched it a couple of times a few years ago.
    Yeah, it's only a few lines, but it's a nice surprise.
    QBranch wrote:

I said the same thing to someone else who said that 'Predators' was a reboot, which it wasn't. She brings up the 1987 mission, the CIA, and Arnold Schwarzenegger's character. Nice little nod to show how she knows what's going on.
    I too would rather have a sequel. I heard once that Lawrence Fishburne's character in Predators was originally supposed to be Arnold, which really would have made that movie awesome.

The biggest mistake to avoid with a reboot is to leave the Predator design as is!!!
    I too would rather have a sequel. I heard once that Lawrence Fishburne's character in Predators was originally supposed to be Arnold, which really would have made that movie awesome.

The biggest mistake to avoid with a reboot is to leave the Predator design as is!!!

That's the problem with the sketchy territory of reboots and sequels: most of the former don't seem to get a latter. Look at the F13 reboot: it's left on a cliffhanger (of sorts) and I doubt it'll get a proper sequel to that. Same with 'Predators': how it ends, they could've done a sequel with the characters that were still alive, but they aren't.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 13,879
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I said the same thing to someone else who said that 'Predators' was a reboot, which it wasn't. She brings up the 1987 mission, the CIA, and Arnold Schwarzenegger's character. Nice little nod to show how she knows what's going on.
    And it didn't feel shoe-horned in either. It was just right.
    I heard once that Lawrence Fishburne's character in Predators was originally supposed to be Arnold, which really would have made that movie awesome.
    Wow, that is a neat idea, and it would mean that shortly after the credits of the original Predator, the helicopter crashed and exploded, inviting Arnie to yell, "RUN FROM THE CHOPPA!"
    Exactly. Very under the radar, and if you didn't pay attention for a few moments, you'd miss it. That's what I enjoyed about it.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Must admit i am a bit of a Arnie Snob, any film related to a great film he has starred in i don't give it a great deal of attention.

The original Predator film would have been a good film without Arnie, very well made film for the time. Arnie makes Predator great, any subsequent film will never hit that level.