Not so famous movie lines quiz.

edited May 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,782
For the indie, subversive, cult, obscure, international movie fans out there.

We would like Not so famous movie lines that a few of you might just know. the person who guesses correctly sets the next question.

only rule is that the lines have to be quoted, if poss, with as much before and after lines please.

And of course, if no one gets it and the longer the quote is unanswered the better it is - we should aim for up to 4 weeks minimum.

A small overview of the film and any scenes would be good after we've guessed it. I'd love to be introduced to new films and genres.

here's the first one:

'You come to us with no evidence, no record, no artifacts. Only a story that, to put it mildly, strains credibility... Are you really going to sit there and tell us that we should just take this all on faith?'

Comments

• ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    At last, one that I know... but I´ve forgotten!! :-L
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I recognise Carl Sagan any time. ;-)

CONTACT!

This is the scene in which Jodie Foster is interrogated about her alleged hallucination. I quite like this moment. James Woods is great in it and of course there's an exciting twist at the end, one which I shall not spoil.

Jodie.jpg

I'm a fan of Contact. I know many people dislike the film because when they think aliens they think massive explosions, battles, spaceships, ... but Sagan was part of a group of wonderful scientists, including Isaac Asimov and Arthur Clarke, who didn't necessarily think death and destruction when they thought aliens. Also, Contact is a very intelligent film which tackles the issue of religion and superstition clouding our rational thinking. This matters a lot to me. However, if I must recommend anything by Sagan, I must recommend his non-fiction, his books on the beauty of science and the dangers of having unscientific minds - I should say anti-scientific minds - in control of politics, economics, military affairs, ...

Contact frankly surprised me because Sagan himself admitted more than once his personal disbelief that our Earth is old enough to have been visited or even contacted by technologically advanced civilisations from elsewhere. But he does open up a few interesting debates in his book which the film has used faithfully I might add. Also, the acting in Contact, Silvestri's score, the script, ... I love everything about this film. It ranks very high in my list of clever science fiction films, though not quite as high as 2001, Blade Runner, Alien or Sunshine.
    Top man Darth, that didn't last too long. Contact is underrated, great bit of Sci-Fi.

I do thing humanity has been on the earth longer than we think. the cover up in Mexico, has hidden such vital and important information that it is a scandal. people in north america as far as back as 200,000 to 400,000 years would certainly upset the accepted wisdom.

Anyway Darth, your turn.

Thank you, sir. Here we go:

"Do you know what the most frightening thing in the world is? It's fear."
    Ummm sounds like a Hitchcock movie....i will refrain from ol google...M for Murder or M?

edited May 2014 Posts: 23,447
    No sir. :-) Though we are in more or less the same era.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Dr. Strangelove?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Blade Runner?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2014 Posts: 40,368
    'Seven'?

Also, could you please fix the spelling error in the title? It's bothering me. :-)
    got to be a thriller noirish film from the 50s or 60s. The 3rd Voice?
    None of the above, gents. Let me point you in a certain direction:

Sissi – The Young Empress
    DarthDimi wrote:
    None of the above, gents. Let me point you in a certain direction:

Sissi – The Young Empress

Is that a clue or the answer? If it is a clue I would say Priest (I think it was how it was called), in which she plays a role.
    It's a clue and you need to think male actors. ;-)
    Peeping Tom?
    edited May 2014 Posts: 23,447
    That's the one, @forgotmyusername! A very underrated horror film which came out in the shadow of Psycho and effectively terminated Michael Powell's career. Why? Because the moral orthodoxy at the time thought it too objectionable. Through metaphors and symbols, audience members were more or less accused of being perverse voyeurs, seeking out horror films in order to satisfy secret desires to see other people suffer. Twenty years after Peeping Tom, the sudden success of slasher films proved Peeping Tom right and gave the film something of a prophetic quality. It's regained much of its deserved status since, but unfortunately it wasn't properly heralded at the time of its release. I recommend this little study in voyeurism to everyone. This film may make you question your own moral stance on film violence. :-)
  • 'When I'm running for my life I generally don't look back at the plumbing'.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Is it the film about Joe the Plumber?
    No. I think it's "Reign of Fire". And frankly, I can understand that.
  • Gerard wrote:
    No. I think it's "Reign of Fire". And frankly, I can understand that.

Spot on---great little film. you're up next mate.
    One from France, famous here, but probably unknown everywhere else :

"Jerks dare everything. Indeed, that's how you recognize them."
    Change of direction.

"What is this -- a joke or something?"

"Yes. A joke. We will laugh in the car."