Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I still have not seen the second series of The Following. The first dragged on a bit, it felt as though some of the episodes were padding. Purefoy was excellent, exuding a potent mix of charm and menace.

The last tv show I watched, was the 2 part climax of Archer: Series 3, Space Race part 1 & 2. I have a confession to make, I love Pam. There, I said it, she's my favourite character on the show.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited June 2014 Posts: 40,368
    Pam is rich on that show, I love her. I'd say my favorite character on the show has to be Archer.

Just watched tonight's episode of 'Game of Thrones.' Wow. I haven't had my jaw drop like that since episode two of this season. Now on to episode four of 'True Detective.'
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 2,081
    ^^ Aah, True Detective... I saw it back in... hmm... must have been March. Fabulous. Fascinating character study (which is what it is more than a murder mystery, to me anyway). I must admit I had sort of ignored Matthew McConaughey until I went to see Dallas Buyers Club... what, so he can really, really act??? What else has he done I should watch, I wondered, and started watching the movies... and then I saw True Detective. He was incredible in it. At times the delivery of the lines was so fantastic I would have wanted to hear them again right away. Exceptional tv. Great writing, great dialogue, great acting.

While getting only 8 episodes seems sorta cruel - I'd like to see more (I mean more with these characters) - it might be for the better. It never gets stale, repetitive, predictable and boring. The intensity and mystique stays with it all the way through, and you feel like there's more there that might be told about the story and the people, but we won't get that, and are left a bit hungry (at least I was), and I kinda liked that.

Loved the last words in it (too), btw... :D
    The show is incredibly thought-provoking (usually by McConaughey's speeches), and it really is a dark little character study, I love it. It's more about the relationship between these two men than it is a whodunnit. I'm loving it.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    That's exactly how to see True Detective, anyone going looking for a whodunnit is likely to be disappointed but if you like watching 2 actors at the top of their game giving their best then you are in for a treat.

There was an episode that totally changes the pace of the program but although it was thrilling I was relieved when it returned to it's leisurely pace, I enjoy it most when those 2 are on screen just talking, you can leave the fast paced action to other shows on TV.

I actually feel like I've enjoyed the personal side stories much more than the actual case. I know what episode you're talking about. It's nice that they throw in a little action to kick it up every now and then, but when it gets heated between the two of them is when it's at its best.

It's nearly 4:00 A.M. here, just finished the penultimate episode, so I'll watch the finale tomorrow. I can't wait to see how it ends.
    ^^ Any thoughts?
    Tuulia wrote:
    ^^ Any thoughts?

I'll keep it all in spoilers just in case.
    While the show is a character study and almost every scene was gripping, mesmerizing, and interesting in the dialogue and thought-provoking conversations, I always was curious in the back of my mind who the killer was and would either detective die. I didn't expect some huge twist where one of them would be the killer (or someone they know), but I also hoped it was someone that we had seen or been hinted at once throughout the series, and sure enough, I was happy to find out that it was the guy Rust was talking to at the school. The killer was right there and he had no idea. My jaw dropped when I found that out. The finale was so intense because I really expected both of them to finally share one good moment with one another before they died, but I'll admit, I'm a sucker for happy endings and I'm happy they both made it out alive.

And that speech at the end that Rust gives when he starts crying? So emotional, and it's nice to see them both care for and respect one another as they walk off into the night. I love it, it was one fantastic show.

What were your thoughts?
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 2,081
    ^^ I very much agree with you, Creasy. :)
  • Intelligence (Episode - Athens) - I know it's not great and been cancelled but something keeps drawing me to it....
    Graham Norton show starring TomCruise, Emily Blunt, Charlize Theron, Seth McFarlane and Coldplay great line up and entertaining as always! :-bd
    Well, S4E9 of 'Game of Thrones' last night was so intense and well done. It was like a mini move. The season finale will be bitter sweet, as there is a lot that's going to happen, but at the same time, there won't be any new GoT for 8 or 9 months, unfortunately. But, I look forward to S4 hitting blu-ray so I can do yet another marathon.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 1,817
    Now watching Hannibal Season 1. It's very good.
    From the first episode I really like that
    they introduced Dr. Lecter with the Goldbach variations, the same music from the escape sequence in Silence of the Lambs.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Well, S4E9 of 'Game of Thrones' last night was so intense and well done. It was like a mini move. The season finale will be bitter sweet, as there is a lot that's going to happen, but at the same time, there won't be any new GoT for 8 or 9 months, unfortunately. But, I look forward to S4 hitting blu-ray so I can do yet another marathon.
    Great episode there, as are all of them. It wasn't the ending I was hoping for though, in regards to
    Ygritte. I liked her character, and her relationship with Jon Snow.

No, I'm really not looking forward to the long wait, but I have a few series lined up to keep me going for a while, such as Sarah Conner Chronicles and True Detective with McConaughey and Woody. :-bd

I recently finished watching the three seasons of American Horror Story, and I absolutely loved it. 'Asylum' was my favourite season. I'm eagerly awaiting the next one.
    @QBranch, regarding GoT:
    I went to watch an episode one night and (like the idiot I am) checked the comments section, where someone literally had a list of spoilers, but my eye only caught one (don't worry, it would've regarded this episode): Ygritte kills Jon. So, in the penultimate episode when Ygritte runs up and aims her bow at him, it was either "Yep, the spoiler was right and the other things I may have seen are right, too," or "No, the spoiler was wrong and I don't have to worry." Honestly, I don't know how to feel. I'm glad Jon didn't die by her hand because then I'm sure the entire place really would've fell to the Wildlings, but at the same time, I don't like that she dies. Unfortunately, though, he's a "Crow" and she's a Wildling, so I don't think it could've ever properly worked out for them.

Ahh, 'True Detective.' I'll be getting my copy of it on blu-ray today, can't wait to go back through it.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I watched the entire second season of 'Derek' last night. Wow, what a tearjerker. It's definitely more sentimental and emotional than it was funny, but it still had its moments. Then I started 'True Detective,' which is a slow-burner and a bit confusing, but the acting and cinematography is fantastic. Looking forward to getting more into the show.

I've just started watching the first season on Netflix. Surprisingly good. The actress who plays Hannah is brilliant.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Firefly

serenity.jpg

I have finally, over a decade too late, joined the Browncoats. Firefly was recommended to me years ago by people to whom I complained that the movie Serenity had made so little sense to me. Well, obviously I should have watched this series first.

I like Joss Whedon but I've never seen Buffy nor Angel. I guess Firefly is my introduction to his TV work. And quite the introduction it is. From the first episode, I fell in love with the characters and found myself quite intrigued by their relationships. I suppose that's one of many great things about Firefly: Whedon knows how to flesh out characters, how to give them interesting traits, intriguing backgrounds and fascinating moments.

After 14 episodes of Firefly I realise that all four of the recent Battlestar Gallactica series fail in comparison to get me so hooked. It's not so much about the effects or the spectacle, this show is about great character design. I wish the sponsors would have allowed the series to continue.

Now I will re-watch Serenity, after all those years, but from a different POV. I'm now a fan of the series, I know the world and the backstories. Let's see how this film plays in comparison to the series. ;-)
    @BAIN123, just be prepared for a different feel of seasons: while I loved both, the first season was definitely more raunchy and hysterical (with bits of drama and sad scenes thrown in), but this second season is the complete opposite of that. I don't mind it, makes for some real funny scenes when they do happen.
  • Above and Beyond - another classic sci-fi series that got canned after one series. Loved every episode.

watch it now on youtube

no brads
  • JuraquagmireJuraquagmire Canada
    Luther on Netflix...
    Orphan Black on each Saturday.
    Continuum on each Sunday.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 13,879
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @QBranch, regarding GoT:
    Honestly, I don't know how to feel. I'm glad Jon didn't die by her hand because then I'm sure the entire place really would've fell to the Wildlings, but at the same time, I don't like that she dies. Unfortunately, though, he's a "Crow" and she's a Wildling, so I don't think it could've ever properly worked out for them.
    I guess that outcome was inevitable, because had Jon Snow died, there'd be no real reason to have the Night's Watch/Castle Black in the show anymore.

@Dimi Firefly was an awesome show, wasn't it? Like yourself, I watched Serenity first- some time back in 2009 IIRC. I had no clue the series existed, but after learning of it, and getting around to watching it just last year, the film became so much more enjoyable.
    @QBranch
    Not necessarily, as Samwell is still a pretty big part of the Wall's story, it would seem, and Bran and the lot are still in the area.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @QBranch
    Not necessarily, as Samwell is still a pretty big part of the Wall's story, it would seem, and Bran and the lot are still in the area.
    True, I forgot about Bran and his group. They need more screen time, IMO. Regarding Ygritte- had she survived, it's very likely she would've taken out the likeable but cowardly Samwell.
    @QBranch, if you check out ComicBookMovie.com, there's an extended promo for the season finale, but be warned, it shows a snippet of footage that, to me, looks like:

Jaime (or someone else) leading Tyrion through the corridors of King's Landing, perhaps helping him escape.

EDIT: 'True Detective'

You can find my thoughts on it in the last page or so, but I bought it on blu-ray Tuesday night and started it later on, so I pretty much did my rewatch of it in a matter of a day. Fantastic character study with some thrilling moments. A show can't come more highly recommended, it's one of the greatest, philosophical, thought-provoking, and most symbolic shows you'll ever see.
    A double bill of the new series of Toy Hunter here in the UK! Absolutely love this show as it brings back childhood memories! And I actually met Jordan at the memorabilia show last November here in Birmingham at the NEC event! Had to do a serious double take! :O As I was so surprised to see him! A great guy and even got a free photo with him too! :-bd
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Just started watching Hannibal after buying the first season on DVD.

Overall pretty good so far. Mads Mikkelsen is excellent as Lecter as is Hugh Dancy as Graham. The cinematography is somewhat spooky with its grisly dream sequences and, as I expected, there are several nods to Silence of the Lambs.

One question, is the red-head tabloid hack Freddie Lounds an intended caricature of Rebekah Brooks or is it just a coincidence?
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Just started watching Hannibal after buying the first season on DVD.

Overall pretty good so far. Mads Mikkelsen is excellent as Lecter as is Hugh Dancy as Graham. The cinematography is somewhat spooky with its grisly dream sequences and, as I expected, there are several nods to Silence of the Lambs.

One question, is the red-head tabloid hack Freddie Lounds an intended caricature of Rebekah Brooks or is it just a coincidence?

Probably just a coincidence but I see where your coming from !,
    So many TV shows I have to tackle. Part of me wants to start 'The Killing,' another part wants to start 'Sons of Anarchy,' I want to rewatch the first two seasons of 'House of Cards,' and I'm going to start the final season of 'Californication' shortly.
    I'm also watching Hannibal @Mrcoggins. I'm about to finish Season II. The little nods to previous movies are very classy and the series as a whole is superb.
    Mikkelsen is Hannibal.
    Sat down and watched 11/12 episodes of the final season of 'Californication' in one sitting. It doesn't have me laughing as hard as the earlier seasons did, but it's the final season so I can understand the route they're taking with Hank once again juggling so many decisions. I'm looking forward to the series finale on Sunday to see if the show answer the ultimate question that fans like myself have been dying to know.

If a show is good enough, I manage to fly through so much of it without even realizing it. One episode blends into another, and before I know it, it's over and I get to a point where the next season isn't out yet.