What? The Magnificent Seven is being rebooted. Crazy crazy crazy.

edited June 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,782
Plot Summary: A big screen remake of John Sturges' classic western "The Magnificent Seven." The 1960 film, itself a loose remake of Akira Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai," starred Charles Bronson, Yul Brynner, Horst Bucholz, James Colburn, Brad Dexter, Steve McQueen and Robert Vaughn as seven gunfighters-for-hire tasked with protecting a small Mexican village. It spawned three sequels, 1966's "Return of the Magnificent Seven," 1969's "Guns of the Magnificent Seven," and 1972's "The Magnificent Seven Ride Again."

There's seomethings you just don't do. Has Hollywood lost itself? Where have the original screenplays gone? What has gone wrong?
Denzel Washington is starring.

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    We could literally make pages on upcoming, unwanted reboots. It's insane. Hollywood has been running out of ideas lately. If it isn't a reboot/remake, then it's a sequel. If it isn't a sequel, then it's a prequel. If it isn't a prequel, then it's a spinoff.

Also, Denzel Washington is eyeing the role, I don't believe he's confirmed to be starring in it just yet. There are classics like this and 'The Seven Samurai' that absolutely nobody wants a reboot of, then you have 80's classics that really, really don't need a reboot, like 'Dirty Dancing' and 'Point Break.'
    I actually re-watched the original last Sunday and there is no way you could top that.
    Its a stupid idea.

I heard that Tom Cruise is the main star heavily heavily linked to it.
    However I love The Magnificent Seven, I'm not sure remaking The Seven Samurai was called for to begin with. It already had sequels and remakes, why create yet another one. I guess it cannot be as ridiculous as The Manchurian Candidate remake. Or can it?
    I guess I better brace myself for a remake of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. For a lover of movies these are quite terrible and bland times indeed!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Ludovico wrote:
    However I love The Magnificent Seven, I'm not sure remaking The Seven Samurai was called for to begin with. It already had sequels and remakes, why create yet another one. I guess it cannot be as ridiculous as The Manchurian Candidate remake. Or can it?

That was a poor remake. But this one could be interesting.
    These are hard times. Hollywood is always whinning about how starved they are for good material and there are some good writers out there, yet they just want to go with what they think is a "proven idea", and we are going to be served yet another bad remake of a classic that should have been left alone.
    Psycho
    Manchurian Candidate
    The Terminator
    King Kong
    Magnificient Seven
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    I guess I better brace myself for a remake of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. For a lover of movies these are quite terrible and bland times indeed!

That would be downright blasphemy. At least The Magnificent Seven was already a remake to begin with.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:

That would be downright blasphemy. At least The Magnificent Seven was already a remake to begin with.

It would, but a sequel is in order.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm surprised to see Westerns becoming popular again. I didn't used to like them, but over the last few years, I've grown to respect and enjoy them thanks to watching them with my late father. I've seen the original Seven so this might be a decent remake. They did a good job with the True Grit remake. I'll give it a chance when I see a trailer.
    3:10 To Yuma was quite enjoyable and I admit I've never seen the Glenn Ford original. I'm not a huge Western fan.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:

Aarghhh!!!
    edited June 2014 Posts: 45,489
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:

Blaarghhh!!!

Yes, I hear you loud and clear.
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    The Godzilla re-boot was fantastic.
    As for the rest, we can hardly flag them, but we can ignore them and move on ;-).

Indeed. I shall take your kind advice.
    boldfinger wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    The Godzilla re-boot was fantastic.
    As for the rest, we can hardly flag them, but we can ignore them and move on ;-).

It's the completely unoriginal attitude behind all this rebooting and remaking that kills me.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 2,782
    3:10 To Yuma was quite enjoyable and I admit I've never seen the Glenn Ford original. I'm not a huge Western fan.

The Bale film was outstanding, mainly due to the 4 leads in the film, the last 15 mins were gripping, sensational and truly emotional action. Loved it.

But how can you remake a film like the 7 that we all have grown up on, weve all wanted to be McQueen, or Bronson or Vaughn's washed up gunslinger....it's like seeing an old friend being ripped apart infront of your eyes by sheep.

One of the best movie soundtracks as well...

Matt_Helm wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:

Blaarghhh!!!

Yes, I hear you loud and clear.
    I'm saying arrrrghh myself.
  • The 60s Magnificent Seven had "box office calibrated product" written all over it (make a remake as a big star vehicle), it's not like they're toying with a masterpiece from an auteur !
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 14,799
    The 60s Magnificent Seven had "box office calibrated product" written all over it (make a remake as a big star vehicle), it's not like they're toying with a masterpiece from an auteur !

Kurosawa?

But yes, there is some justification to this logic as The Magnificent Seven is already a remake, that spawned many remakes already.
    The opportunity exists to make a great film that stands on its own along side the original. It remains to be seen if the filmmakers can honor the spirit of the original without making a weak homage that makes us long for the original ever more so.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 2,015
    Between Seven Samurais and Magnificent Seven, I think they'll remake the second one.

People tend to forget Seven Samurai is very slow and moody, compared to the "remake" which is far more an Hollywood adaptation than a remake, frankly. In Hollywood, they need to show the bandits actually killing people to make the viewers understand from the start they are a threat. In Samurai, it's done with dialogs :) In Samurai, the "good guys" also act with cruelty. You couldn't have that in Hollywood I'm afraid.

And don't forget you can almost watch Magnificent Seven twice while someone one else is watching Seven Samurai's 3h30 movie.
    That really is a disgrace! I don't care who will star in it? This is yet another film that should be left alone! [-(