Who said "The name is Bond, James Bond" the best (their first time)?

edited March 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 503
Here's a neat little video that shows 6 different videos of all of the Bond actors saying the line "<i>The name is Bond, James Bond</i>" for the very first time in their tenure:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/VM0smktBNes
<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VM0smktBNes?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VM0smktBNes?fs=1&hl=en_US"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

Who said it best? Who said it worst? Give a list if you like.

Here's mine:

1. Roger Moore
2. Sean Connery
3. George Lazenby
4. Daniel Craig
5. Pierce Brosnan
6. Timothy Dalton

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    1.) Sean Connery
    2.) Daniel Craig
    3.) Roger Moore
    4.) Pierce Brosnan
    5.) Timothy Dalton
    6.) George Lazenby

#4 - #6 they seem off for some reason... like with Pierce it sounds like he's losing his breath towards the end of the quote.... Dalton just seems so blase' about it.... and George looks like he's about to start laughing
  • LudsLuds MIA
    No one does it like Seanery!

1. Connery
    2. Moore
    3. Craig
    4. Lazenby
    5. Dalton
    6. Brosnan
    1.Roger Moore
    2.Sean Connery
    3.Daniel Craig
    4.Timothy Dalton
    5.Pierce Brosnan
    6.George Lazenby
    1. Sean Connery
    2. Daniel Craig
    3. Pierce Brosnan
    4. Roger Moore
    5. George Lazenby
    6. Timothy Dalton
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Connery says it best, then Brosnan, then Moore.

For me, it seems to suit the likes of those 3 more compared to Craig (who still says it pretty well nonetheless) and Lazenby.

Dalton probably says it the weakest to be honest. It sounds more like a throwaway line with him, as if he wants to get it over and done with asap.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited March 2011 Posts: 1,986
    Quoting BAIN123: It sounds more like a throwaway line with him
    Indeed it does, just not properly set in the script, and director John Glen likely didn't realize it was an important scene for an actor to introduce himself.
    It seems to me Timmy was trying to make it sound nonchalant on purpose, so as not to sound so pretentious saying it. It didn't work well, though.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Quoting Luds: and director Peter Hunt likely didn't realize it was an important scene for an
    actor to introduce himself.
    Don't you mean John Glen?
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited March 2011 Posts: 1,986
    Perhaps, @Bond, but in situations like this, the director usually has a vision and tends to make it the way he wants. Either John Glen didn't care, didn't know better, or didn't mind the nonchalant delivery. All bad!

@BAIN123 yup, just fixed it as you were replying. :-q Shame on me!
    Connery, the ultimate introduction, epitome of cool
    Craig, said it well but alot was due to the build up
    Moore, well stated
    Lazenby, great set up
    Dalton ,yes, treated as a throw away line)
    Brosnan (not throw away enough, he said it as if he was expecting something grand to happen. In real life if someone introduced them self like that, the girl would bust up laughing.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 107
    I love that Dalton just tossed it out there, subverting expectations while still adhering to formula. The others all made a big deal out of it, which I kind of think less of, but in that category, I'd say Moore's was infused with the right amount of arrogance for it to make sense (but then, the film Bond may have been at his most arrogant in Live And Let Die.) So…

01. Dalton
    02. Moore

Connery's and Craig's first introductions both feed off of context. Connery's introduction is just a play on the way Sylvia Trench introduces herself ("Trench, Sylvia Trench"), and he does spin it into something pretty cool. The way Craig's introduction relies on context is more obvious.

03. Connery
    04. Craig

As for the others, I think @jaguar007's assessment of Brosnan's read is correct. Even Xenia's next line (her own introduction) has a subtext of, "Okay, whatever."

05. Lazenby
    06. Brosnan
    My list would be Connery due to the fact he was the first , then Brosnan as he is in the same sort of setting as Connery, then Craig as this was what we were waiting for him to say all the way through the film. Then Moore as he did not look serious enough when saying it in the situation he was in, Lastly Dalton and Lazenby tie, one (as described above )was a throw away line the other looked like he was going to burst out laughing or lead into a joke.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    1 Connery. So cool it's funny and exciting at the same time.
    2. Craig. Deadpan and perfectly delivered
    3. Dalton. I'm no fan but he doesn't seem too self conscious here.
    4. Moore and Lazenby. Both delivered with a knowing twinkle and nothing to divide them
    6. Brosnan. Oh please. Like a kid practicing the line in front of the mirror. Could anyone look so smug at having landed his dream role?
    blockquote>Quoting NicNac: . Brosnan. Oh please. Like a kid practicing the line in front of the mirror

Funny you should say that Nackers because,on a radio interview i heard while driving,just before GE came out,that's exactly what Brosnan said he used to do over and over again to practise for that moment.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Haha, maybe I heard that convo and subconsciously recalled it ;-)
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    1. Connery. He made it, everything was very well acted. And the Bond theme plays in the background is just a +
    2. Brosnan. I think he made it very stylish. Over
    3. Craig. His coolness and his perfect voice made the last scene perfect!
    4. Dalton. He made in rush yes, maybe because he thrown him self out from a cliff in Gibraltar. Just like Craig, he had the perfect voice for being Bond!
    5. Moore. Maybe he said it to " happy " but all in all it was okay
    6. Lazenby. It didn't feelt real. Sorry Lazzer.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Connery and Lazenby.
    I really like the way Brozza says the line. Sounds very stylish and confident. He instantly convinced me that he WAS James Bond.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Connery is the best with Brosnan being the worst by far.

I wish we'd go back the "My name is", as it should be and not "The name's", who introduced that and why?
    Quoting Samuel001: I wish we'd go back the "My name is", as it should be and not "The name's", who introduced that and why?
    Good question, I'm not sure who started that. Too lazy to go figure it out now, but at least Brosnan and Craig have surely said the latter.
  • Connery-- is this even a serious question?

I would have Craig in second place.

• edited March 2011 Posts: 503
    Quoting GeorgeLazenby: Connery-- is this even a serious question?

I guess I should have specified that it would be a list—from best to worst. Obviously most feel Connery is by far the best but I'm one of the rare breeds that think Moore's was a hair better.
    Quoting Samuel001: I wish we'd go back the "My name is", as it should be and not "The name's", who introduced that and why?
    I'm not 100% positive, but I think it was Moore in AVTAK that first said "The name is..."
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    edited March 2011 Posts: 987
    1. Connery - Without a doubt the finest delivery of that line in any of the films.

2. Dalton - Throwaway line? probably was considered so by Tim but I like it as it doesn't feel cliched in the slightest despite being such a well known line.

3. Lazenby - Different take on the line compared to Connery's approach but it is proof that Lazenby wasn't just mimicking Connery's acting style and I like it.

4. Craig - Just a little too flat but still very acceptable.

5. Moore - Far, far too flippant and way too smug

6. Brosnan - Sounds too familiar to the sort of tone Pierce would spout out in DAD rather than for using for a line in a decent Bond film
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Quoting Bond:

Quoting Samuel001: I wish we'd go back the "My name is", as it
    should be and not "The name's", who introduced that and
    why?

Good question, I'm not sure who started that. Too
    lazy to go figure it out now, but at least Brosnan and Craig have surely said
    the latter.

Craig said it I know! Most annoying, even more so when you know he's read all of Fleming.

I hope Bond 23 has a proper "My name is Bond, James Bond" from Craig, perhaps in reply to someone, startled, a la Jill from Goldfinger.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 2,491
    really hard.
    i always tought brosnan was the best but watching this i must say it is really really hard so i cant choose
    1.Brosnan
    2.Connery
    3.Craig
    4.Moore
    5.Dalton
    6.Lazenby

i edited this and chaged the places of Craig and Moore.Moore was 3. and Craig 4.
    Craig did it great.
  • 1. Connery
    2. Brosnan
    3. Moore
    4. Dalton
    5. Craig
    6. Lazenby
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    1. Connery (The classic delivery)
    2. Craig (The cold-hearted delivery)
    3. Moore (The charming delivery)
    4. Brosnan (The "I'm Bond let's shag" delivery)
    5. Lazenby (The flat delivery)
    6. Dalton (The goofy smile delivery)
    1. Moore
    2. Connery
    3. Brosnan
    4. Craig
    5. Lazenby
    6. Dalton
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Toughie this, a real toughie, but I've gotta go with...

1. Conners
    2. Sir Rog
    3. Dan The Craig
    4. The Brozzer
    5. Lazers
    6. Timbo