Where to go in the UK

edited May 2014 in General Discussion Posts: 14,800
This is a place about what to visit in the UK, not only the touristic places but the little towns, villages, the best restaurants, pubs, chips shops, kebab vans, theatres, Punch and Judy shows, etc. As a thread got derailed because of such topic, I thought I'd make one just to celebrate my country of adoption's best places.

Comments

• JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Any of the international airports ;)
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.

Try this for how to get around .
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm only familiar with London but I certainly think that's a good place to start. The big smoke is one of my favourite travel destinations.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited May 2014 Posts: 5,080
    I do thoroughly recommend visiting the small town of Bakewell in the Peak District. A beautiful little gem in the middle of a beautiful landscape. And Chatworth House is only 2 minutes away.

DarthDimi wrote:
    I'm only familiar with London but I certainly think that's a good place to start. The big smoke is one of my favourite travel destinations.

I would actually recommend a first time visitor to try to go outside London a bit.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,425
    London is like a completely different country - a city state in its own right.

It's currently going through something of a golden era - economically and culturally speaking.

No other British city really comes close. Edinburgh is beautiful but feels like a provincial market town by comparison. Most of the English provincial cities are pretty awful unless you like students, binge drinking and vomit.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Edinburgh is a lovely city, went there in 2012.

Parts of Devon are nice too.

My sister also really likes Brighton, which is great on a hot day. Also its not too far from London.
    Yorkshire or the Lake district (Cumbria) are beautiful places to visit.
    Getafix wrote:

It's currently going through something of a golden era - economically and culturally speaking.

No other British city really comes close. Edinburgh is beautiful but feels like a provincial market town by comparison. Most of the English provincial cities are pretty awful unless you like students, binge drinking and vomit.

Agree with this

If you need a break then oxford and cant
    Getafix wrote:

I love Liverpool, where I lived for one year. Not a beautiful city, but a city with character. And I love the Scousers.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Yorkshire or the Lake district (Cumbria) are beautiful places to visit.

I.loved the Lake District. In Keswick they used to have a James Bond museum.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

I love Liverpool, where I lived for one year. Not a beautiful city, but a city with character. And I love the Scousers.

I'm being a bit harsh. I personally quite like Manchester. But the English provincial cities don't compare well to their equivalents in France, Italy, Spain.
    Bristol is a fantastic city but for the love of God, steer well clear of Middlesbrough! :-bd
    May be we should do some city guides while waiting for news of B24.
    While you are right about London in the UK

I do think France is swamped by Paris, Its got Lyon I suppose but its not really as grandiose as the capital

Italys got Naples and Milan I suppose.
    actonsteve wrote:

I do think France is swamped by Paris, Its got Lyon I suppose but its not really as grandiose as the capital

Every major city in Italy is worth visiting. Believe me!
    jobo wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

Every major city in Italy is worth visiting. Believe me!

Exactly.
    Every minor town is worth visiting in Italy. Bit this is off topic. There are plenty of small towns that are full of charm in the UK. In the south there are Henley, Wallingfor and Marlow that are quite nice.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    London of course, but also Stratford-Upon-Avon, the hometown of Shakespeare, and close to Oxford if I remember correctly-26 years since I was there.
    When I'm home I'm going to send a bit of info about a few pubs.
    Ripon, York and Durham are lovely places to visit in the north east.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    The Giant's Causeway and Bushmills Distillery (oldest distillery in the world, founded 1608) in North Antrim, Northern Ireland are within a stone's throw of each other and both well worth a visit.
    Tamworth is the ancient Capital of Mercia! Plenty of local history! Has its own castle, indoor ski/snowboard centre, even has a music festival! Also their appears to be alot of ancient saxon gold buried in fields and also the castle is haunted! Chuck in a few shops and places to eat? That will keep you busy for a few hours! ;)

And somewhere their is a Bond room paradise? But that needs to be built hopefully within the next 15 months?!!! Location: CLASSIFIED. B-)
    If you go to Henley, try the Three Tuns. A small pub that looks like nothing on the outside, but they serve delicious meals. I usually have the fish:

http://vraiefiction.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/the-fish-at-three-tuns-in-henley.html
    Steer well clear of Aldershot, I should know, I live there. It's full of disappointment and broken dreams, nothing to do, nothing to see, chavs and chavettes of all kinds, terrible food, horrible council estates and a land with no opportunity whatsoever. And I live in the nice part. However, owing to experience of visiting my aunty and uncle, Chester is a lovely city, perhaps a little old fashioned but it does have a lively spirit as well, beautiful scenery and plenty to do. Even if that bores you, Liverpool and Manchester are nice places to visit for the day, and there's plenty to do there. But as I'm sure everyone here will say, the Lake District is beautiful.
    If like me you like bleak, windswept majestic countryside then my two favourite places are the hope valley in The Peak District, Derbyshire, and walking up the valley, south of Buttermere in the Lake District.
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Steer well clear of Aldershot, I should know, I live there. It's full of disappointment and broken dreams, nothing to do, nothing to see, chavs and chavettes of all kinds, terrible food, horrible council estates and a land with no opportunity whatsoever. And I live in the nice part. However, owing to experience of visiting my aunty and uncle, Chester is a lovely city, perhaps a little old fashioned but it does have a lively spirit as well, beautiful scenery and plenty to do. Even if that bores you, Liverpool and Manchester are nice places to visit for the day, and there's plenty to do there. But as I'm sure everyone here will say, the Lake District is beautiful.

Oh it is. It was like receiving a shock when I saw it.
    And if you travel to London and are vegetarian or like me forced to eat vegetarian sometimes (my wife is vegetarian, see), then I would recommend Mildred's:

http://www.mildreds.co.uk/

http://vraiefiction.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/the-bangers-and-mash-at-mildreds.html
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited June 2014 Posts: 4,043
    I live in Leeds and love it, I'm on the doorstep of York, Whitby and of course the Dales, as well as not far from Manchester.

I was born in Coventry which is definitely one city to avoid and lived in Leamington Spa for 9 years before we moved.

I don't think all of this country is impressive but I think we can get too wrapped up in going abroad and forget the beauty on our own island. Wales, Cornwall and of course the Scottish Highlands, we aren't mobile yet as neither my Wife and I drive so going abroad is easier and yes Europe is fantastic, not long got back from a week in Sicily which was brilliant but as soon as my Wife passes her test, we'll buy a car and we'll be discovering the British Isles again.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

Oh it is. It was like receiving a shock when I saw it.

Yes, the Lakes are stunningly beautiful. And hard to believe you're in England. The western lakes are particularly nice and much quieter. Worth going a bit further to escape the hordes.