Movies or TV series you find... disturbing...

Comments

RogueAgent wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @fire_and_ice, which the remake fails to do. They took the gritty realism and shocking ending and just ruined it with an awkward bit of pacing and the entire twist didn't have the impact that the original gave.

Interesting i May watch it out of curiosity and watch the original again, gives me an excuse to revisit it. :)

@RogueAgent Remember watching the uncut version of the Exorcist in the 80s, always been a film i found hard to take serious at times. Though the age of the main actress was always the disturbing element. Exorcist 2 on the other hand is one of the most bizarre films i have seen.

Not seen the second movie, absolutely agree with regards to the actress when you consider some of the lines she came out with! :O

You should watch the second one for Richard Burtons aloof performance alone, its like he is in a completely different movie very strange film.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I may be in the minority here but I thought "The Deer Hunter" was disturbing and difficult to watch. I left the theater with a low, sick feeling.

Absolutely same here.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I asked my Dad one time what genre of film 'Deer Hunter' was. Very simple, direct question, which you would surmise would warrant a few word response. His retort? "Oh, buddy, this happens and then this person dies and then it ends like this."

Thanks, Dad, now I needn't dive into seeing it anytime soon!
    Ah Michael Cimino. One of the most egotistical, self indulgent and pretentious film makers ever to grace this planet.

With one fell swoop he managed to bankrupt United Artists with his over long, over boring and over budget Heaven's Gate.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Any film, series, book, report... anything regarding cannibalism disturbs me. I just quit trying to watch stuff like that.

A film that disturbed me for different reasons was The Name of the Rose. I loved it, but it it was disturbing. A series that I found some times disturbing but I adored and couldn't get enough was Fringe.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I don't really get disturbed by anything, much less films, but one that did leave a mark on me was Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. The film isn't for the faint of heart, displaying two men, one a cold, deranged killer and the other his protege as they murder people to train their skills at taking a life. It's chilling, reprehensible and not something the easily scared or timid should watch. The violence feels so real at times that it comes off as a snuff film. The most shocking scene that I can remember is this:
    Henry (the killer) and Otis (the protege) have just left a house where they traumatized and then killed the members of the family who lived there, and chose to videotape the act. They return back to their own apartment and begin watching it, smiling as they pause and rewind the tape to rewatch certain sequences. Sitting there on the couch, Henry and Otis are watching these murders and enjoying themselves like we would when watching a good comedy film, laughing and grinning in the most sadistic way.

Like I said, not for the faint of heart. It has been years since I watched it and I kind of want to see it again to find out how I feel about it now.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 2,341
    I could not think of the name of this movie until now:
    Martyrs

Very disturbing.

@Creast47 When you mention "Funny Games" are you referring to the German language original from 1997 or the 2007 film with Naomi Watts?
    double post lo siento mucho!
    I think the most disturbing to ME was Texas Chainsaw Massacre, mostly because I snuck into it at 14. Not a good film for that age.
    Later I saw Exorcist, and it just made me laugh. I'd been though way worse.
    I recall back when "Lost" was actually good (before it went off the rails) during the third season episode when that couple was buried alive. Think the episode was titled, "Razzle Dazzle"
    That really fukked me up.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've seen the remake, but the bits and pieces I've seen of the original 'Funny Games' are incredibly creepy.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Cannibal ferox very disturbing film.
    Them (2006) French film, when you have the reveal as to what the horror is, it is quite disturbing. Highly recommend Them to anyone who has not watched it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Love Story is as disturbing as it gets.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 17,687
    You must've never seen Old Yeller....
    :-O
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    chrisisall wrote:

Don't whatever you do let him near Lassie Come Home !.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Threads (1984)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090163/

It's more a tv movie, than a theatrical one, but it was the first to spring to mind.
    chrisisall wrote:

I have not, but read the story as a kid so know what you mean.
    I have not, but read the story as a kid so know what you mean.
    So you also know why I Am Legend disturbs me so much then.
    ;)
    Hannibal and The Following
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @fire_and_ice, which the remake fails to do. They took the gritty realism and shocking ending and just ruined it with an awkward bit of pacing and the entire twist didn't have the impact that the original gave.

Interesting i May watch it out of curiosity and watch the original again, gives me an excuse to revisit it. :)

@RogueAgent Remember watching the uncut version of the Exorcist in the 80s, always been a film i found hard to take serious at times. Though the age of the main actress was always the disturbing element. Exorcist 2 on the other hand is one of the most bizarre films i have seen.

Not seen the second movie, absolutely agree with regards to the actress when you consider some of the lines she came out with! :O

You should watch the second one for Richard Burtons aloof performance alone, its like he is in a completely different movie very strange film.

ok if I do I will post you my thoughts?
    Requiem For A Dream comes to mind first, since I only saw it for the first time a couple of months ago (damn... but better late than never). Wow. Just wow. Such a great name it has, too. Fortunately I knew practically nothing about it (and had some misconceptions of what it's about, actually), so it was even more disturbing and effective. Not that there are major twists or anything like that - the name of the movie is a big hint already and it's sort of clear from the start that umm... well, you'll see if you watch (if you haven't already) - but still, I wouldn't recommend reading in advance what happens. Great acting, great music, and now I need to see everything else Aronofsky has done in case anything else comes close (no luck so far).
    No popcorn or snacks for this one.
    Any reality show is horrific as you know most of it is somehow scripted and has very little to do with reality.

Any talent show, as anyone should know by now is that the contracts the participants enter in are only meant to enrich the producers and not the singers. And still some folks enter willingly and for what?
    Gerard wrote:
    Three words : A Clockwork Orange. Not for the faint of heart, this one.

Favourite movie, from a novel by my favourite writer. I don't find it nearly as though as people seem to.
  • The Descent - aaaaaaaaaaaah - 28 days later - aaaaaaaaaaah - Quantum of Solace - aaaaaaaaaaah.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6d3_1401475066
    I found Apocalypto very disturbing. Good film, but could not stomach seeing it again, so gave it away.
    The passion of the Christ by Mel Gibson.
    The never-ending whipping really got to me.
    The passion of the Christ by Mel Gibson.
    The never-ending whipping really got to me.
    Gibson can direct horror like few can. Too bad he hasn't directed a horror movie yet.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    edited June 2014 Posts: 578
    Most of the very disturbing ones are in this playlist.
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBZXkOVkOn1ko9pDOFhTK-PrUvFh402bp
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 2,341
    :)
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Don't know why but Eraserhead (1977) really gets under my skin in a disturbing sort of way....
    There's certainly nothing else like it!