Movies or TV series you find... disturbing...

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited May 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 17,687
On the recommendation of @Creasy47 I purchased the Blu Ray of I Am Legend because it contained the movie with the rather more uncomfortable alternate ending seamlessly included. I found this version to be quite disturbing, and not at all a clear cut, black & white tale by any means. It actually brought me to tears (I'm a big softy, I conjure). I owe you thanks, my friend. 'Disturbing' is not the norm in films these days (although generic 'dark' is big, apparently), and I think a little of it here & there is a good thing.

So, what film(s) or show(s) disturb YOU?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm a big softy, as well, and you're quite welcome, my friend! Glad you could pick it up for so cheap.

In terms of films, one of the more disturbing films I've seen is 'Seven,' especially if you know how it all ends. The inevitability of it freaks me out.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    That movie disturbed me like no other.
    I will not buy it, nor will I ever watch it again.
    It was THAT good at what it did.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 40,370
    I watch it sparingly, just because of how chilling it is. All of the victims aside, just watching:
    Pitt's character badmouth John Doe, but I as the viewer know that he doesn't have the upper hand, and that no matter what he does, Doe has killed his wife.

Another really disturbing movie is 'Oldboy' (the original, NOT that horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE remake). That twist still stands as the greatest twist I've ever seen in a movie. So incredibly disturbing. If you haven't seen it, watch it now. Don't read up on it at all. Just watch it, soak in the details, and await that conclusion.
    Three words : A Clockwork Orange. Not for the faint of heart, this one.
    Gerard wrote:
    Three words : A Clockwork Orange. Not for the faint of heart, this one.
    Saw it in the theatre when I was 17 and I never fully recovered.
    :))
    Murdock wrote:
    I did a similar thread.
    Scared, repulsed or disgusted isn't the same as disturbed.
    :D :-B
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    I did a similar thread.

It certainly can lead you to being disturbed.

I admittedly watch this, but Criminal Minds can lead you to being scared, repulsed and disgusted. More so the last two.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I can only think of two, both concerning rape:

A Clockwork Orange- turned it off at the rape scene. Mind you, this was years ago, and these days I'd be able to endure it.

I Spit on Your Grave (2010)- turned it off at the rape scene. Haven't watched it since, and from what I can remember, it's more disturbing than Clockwork.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Last House on the Left (2009)
    This movie, wow...I've never seen a more realistic and graphic Rape scene in a film. I've never felt so sick from watching a movie. This is one of those, watch once and you'll never forget movies.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    The TV series Hannibal is absolutely brutal, every episode making me wonder "How on earth is this allowed on television?!". It's basically an exercise in finding the most gruesome ways for serial killers to dismember and display their victims, before Mads Mikkelsen comes along and makes dinner with them for him and his (unknowing) associates.

That said, it's also utterly brilliant and somewhat underrated as TV series go. Worth giving a try if you get the chance (it can be streamed from www. us drama .net along with many other things)

As for films, nothing will ever top The Human Centipede for sheer revulsion factor!
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    @Creasy. Seven's a great one. That ending never looses its power to disturb no matter how many times you see it.

Also, having watched it again a couple of weeks ago this scene is still pretty horrific and disturbing:

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Agree about Hannibal. That show put me off after a few episodes.
    This genuinely freaked me out in 2008,i mean it IS a very good film,Michael Fassbender is in the lead role,but its a film that you know could happen to anyone at anytime,its not a 'fantasy' :

Eden_Lake_poster.jpg
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 2,483
    Virtually everything on the boob toob is disturbing because it is so tasteless and vapid.

As to disturbing movies:

A Clockwork Orange
    Dangerous Liaisons
    Open Water
    Heavenly Creatures
    Blair Witch Project
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    I did a similar thread.

Pretty dam' close though.

Agree about Hannibal. That show put me off after a few episodes.

I like 'Hannibal'.
    Especially as Mads is in it and Hugh Dancy is English (Will Graham in the show).

^:)^
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    barryt007 wrote:
    This genuinely freaked me out in 2008,i mean it IS a very good film,Michael Fassbender is in the lead role,but its a film that you know could happen to anyone at anytime,its not a 'fantasy' :

Eden_Lake_poster.jpg

Yes, exactly! Who hasn't had a close shave with some feral chavs?
    Michael Hanake's Funny Games is just about one of the most disturbing films I've ever seen.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Splice - watched that recently, that film is just Wrong!

Other films i can think off immediately, Rosemarys baby, Don't look now, Basket case and Demon seed had disturbing elements.
    'Funny Games' is so creepy because of the motive, and how absolutely psychotic the two men are. There's no bargaining with them.

Has anyone here made the mistake of watching 'A Serbian Film'? You want to talk disturbing...
    @Creasy47 Watched Old Boy last maybe a decade ago, one of the few films i watched that made me incredibly angry watching. One evil bastard
    @Creasy47 Watched Old Boy last maybe a decade ago, one of the few films i watched that made me incredibly angry watching. One evil bastard

Agreed. That ending is so nerve-wracking and intense, as the whole film just constantly builds up to that one question, and the surprise ending makes it totally worth the wait. Again, though, if you've never seen 'Oldboy' and know nothing about the twist, watch the original. Don't like subtitles/foreign films, for some reason? Watch it dubbed, I don't care. This is a fine piece of cinema, don't taint your experience with it with the horrid Spike Lee version.
    I find the original movies tend to be better than the Hollywood versions, Vanilla Sky a prime example. Not seen Old Boy remake probably won't, as disturbing as the original is its a brilliant film and achieves what it sets out too.
    @fire_and_ice, which the remake fails to do. They took the gritty realism and shocking ending and just ruined it with an awkward bit of pacing and the entire twist didn't have the impact that the original gave.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited May 2014 Posts: 45,489
    Sometimes I find Family Guy to be a little disturbing.
    I remember watching a staff showing at our local cinema of the rereleased Exorcist. Obviously it is an old movie and it made me laugh more than anything. The wierd thing was after it all ended and we locked up for the night. Got in the car to drop a couple of colleagues home, and everytime i checked my rear view mirror? I kept expecting to see that possessed child screaming expletives at me!!!! 8-X
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @fire_and_ice, which the remake fails to do. They took the gritty realism and shocking ending and just ruined it with an awkward bit of pacing and the entire twist didn't have the impact that the original gave.

Interesting i May watch it out of curiosity and watch the original again, gives me an excuse to revisit it. :)

@RogueAgent Remember watching the uncut version of the Exorcist in the 80s, always been a film i found hard to take serious at times. Though the age of the main actress was always the disturbing element. Exorcist 2 on the other hand is one of the most bizarre films i have seen.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 2,341
    I found the original "The Wicker Man" with Edward Woodward, Christopher Lee, and Britt Ekland to be very disturbing and upsetting. Films like that just do something to you.

I may be in the minority here but I thought "The Deer Hunter" was disturbing and difficult to watch. I left the theater with a low, sick feeling.

I just finished watching the first season on Netflix and I said some good things about "Bitten" when I started watching it. At the season finale, I have to say that Bitten is a rather brutal, violent show. That season finale was very....I don't recommend it.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Interesting i May watch it out of curiosity and watch the original again, gives me an excuse to revisit it. :)

@RogueAgent Remember watching the uncut version of the Exorcist in the 80s, always been a film i found hard to take serious at times. Though the age of the main actress was always the disturbing element. Exorcist 2 on the other hand is one of the most bizarre films i have seen.

Not seen the second movie, absolutely agree with regards to the actress when you consider some of the lines she came out with! :O