The Great Bond Villain Elimination Game - COMPLETED : REVIEW.

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    There's clearly a Charles Bronson theme running through your posts, @Murdock.

He's one of my all time favorite actors. Plus this thread was about to get nasty so I had to put up a distraction. ;)
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 19,339
    barryt007 wrote:
    Goldfinger and Sanchez should switch places in the lineup. more evidence that there are too many Dalton fans, and not enough Bond fans on this website...
    I dont mind Goldfinger as a villain himself,although i dont like the film much,but Sanchez is a much much better villain,as my game showed.
    And i say this as very much NOT a Dalton 007 fan.
    How is Sanchez better? He's a well known criminal who gets caught at the beginning of the movie, then has to bribe his way through an escape, and then, when he's free again, he lets a stranger get deep into his organization without doing any thorough background checks on him to see if he's maybe a spy.

Goldfinger on the other hand successfully carried out a cunning gold-smuggiling operation without the government finding out how he did it for years. It also happens that his scheme, "Operation Grand Slam" would have gone off without a hitch had it not been for the simple fact that Bond finished a mission early and was in Miami at the same time he was. Sanchez by comparison was a known criminal and was bound to get caught eventually. What's more, unlike Sanchez, Goldfinger was weary of Bond's prying nature and did a background check, found out he was 007 of the British Secret Service, and once he captured Bond he was prepared to kill him, but instead decided not to because of the suspicion it would arise on the eve of "Operation Grand Slam." Even though he kept Bond alive, he still would have been successful if not for Pussy deciding to contact Washington. Sanchez is no better than the dozen or so gangsters that Goldfinger gassed to death, which in itself is both a devious backstabbing plan, and a great public service. At the end of the day, Sanchez is just a psychotic coke dealer, while Goldfinger is a criminal mastermind.

He is better,my friend,because he IS...oh and the game has shown that as well eh ? ;)

• edited May 2014 Posts: 19,339
    DOUBLE POST
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Murdock wrote:

He's one of my all time favorite actors. Plus this thread was about to get nasty so I had to put up a distraction. ;)

• edited May 2014 Posts: 4,622
    @QBranch was actually making a gag based on Aliens. Don't know see why you're reading so much into it.

actually I didn't get the gag, even though I have seen all the Alien movies................... but90% of the post anyway is me rambling about Survivor comparisons, so I was pretty easy on him. :)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    How is Sanchez better? He's a well known criminal who gets caught at the beginning of the movie, then has to bribe his way through an escape, and then, when he's free again, he lets a stranger get deep into his organization without doing any thorough background checks on him to see if he's maybe a spy.

By the time Sanchez let's Bond into his inner circle, he's on his own turf where he owns practically everyone and everything, and he has no reason to believe that Bond's a spy or even affiliated with any agencies. His only real problem here is not talking to Krest a little more often.
    Goldfinger on the other hand successfully carried out a cunning gold-smuggiling operation without the government finding out how he did it for years.

The government may not have figured out how, but they knew who and that he was doing it.
    It also happens that his scheme, "Operation Grand Slam" would have gone off without a hitch had it not been for the simple fact that Bond finished a mission early and was in Miami at the same time he was.

If we bring coincidence into this, then Dimitrios' plan in CR would have gone off without a hitch had Bond not somehow figured out where Mollaka was, taken his cell phone, discovered Dimitrios in Nassau, seduced his wife, followed him to Miami, and taken down the second bomber who's name, I believe, was Carlos. Most Bond villain's plans would work if not for the unhappy convenience of coincidence. This doesn't make Goldfinger a better villain than anybody.
    Sanchez by comparison was a known criminal and was bound to get caught eventually.

Goldfinger would have, too! Once an atomic bomb, that they probably could have easily traced back to Goldfinger, was detonated inside Fort Knox, considering that the CIA was already looking into him, they would have done everything possible to negate the effects of all the harm that bomb did to the gold reserves, and Goldfinger's gold would have been worthless. Goldfinger was just as well-known a criminal as Sanchez, he just had the luxury of nobody being able to tie him to anything. Just because the mob boss ordered the hit doesn't mean there's always going to be evidence.
    What's more, unlike Sanchez, Goldfinger was weary of Bond's prying nature and did a background check, found out he was 007 of the British Secret Service, and once he captured Bond he was prepared to kill him, but instead decided not to because of the suspicion it would arise on the eve of "Operation Grand Slam."

Again, Sanchez had little reason to do a background check, unlike Goldfinger who already knew Bond was snooping around. If the f*cker hadn't been caught cheating at cards, he probably wouldn't have done a background check, either. Chalk that one up to covering up an obvious mistake.
    Even though he kept Bond alive, he still would have been successful if not for Pussy deciding to contact Washington.

Yes, because despite all this security, all these background checks, all his careful planning, Goldfinger is just stupid enough to forget that there's probably a significant portion of Bond's dossier that includes every vagina's weakness to his charm. I guess causing a Soviet agent (file clerk or not) to defect doesn't count for sh*t when it comes to attracting difficult-to-please women.
    Sanchez is no better than the dozen or so gangsters that Goldfinger gassed to death, which in itself is both a devious backstabbing plan, and a great public service. At the end of the day, Sanchez is just a psychotic coke dealer, while Goldfinger is a criminal mastermind.

And there's your mistake. Right there. No, Sanchez is no better than the gangsters that Goldfinger killed (I'm not even going to comment on the "great public service" that a man who's about to obliterate a national monument with an atomic weapon has going for him), but he's not trying to be. Goldfinger is an over-the-top classical super villain. He may not want the same type of world domination as, say, Blofeld, but he does want domination over the world's gold market. Sanchez, on the other hand, is a realistic villain who's not even trying for world domination, he's just a drug/arms dealer. That is what makes him better. He's not a psychopath for pure black or white reasons like Goldfinger is, he's something that the world created. Goldfinger is something that a man with an imagination created.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Very amusing, @Agent007391. I'm with you on all this. I like that Sanchez prides himself and his operations on loyalty and trust, while Goldfinger is loyal to none but himself, meaning everyone else is expendable in the pursuit of his gains. Sanchez is also wholly more interesting to me, and I fear that if Goldfinger hadn't gotten that "I expect you to die scene" he would be much more forgettable.
    I'm just so glad we never got the "Goldfinger's twin" version of DAF.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    How exactly did as much as 127 points disappear from the game?
    How exactly did as much as 127 points disappear from the game?

Reducing the numbers when the game dragged several times.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'm surprised that off all the Connery era villains, it is Dr No whom has the highest placing. Red Grant or even Emilio Largo I could understand, but Dr No? Yes, that surprised me.

And 3rd place for Sanchez, ok, I can live with that, even if he lost out to Dr No and OHMSS' Blofeld.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm surprised that off all the Connery era villains, it is Dr No whom has the highest placing. Red Grant or even Emilio Largo I could understand, but Dr No? Yes, that surprised me.

And 3rd place for Sanchez, ok, I can live with that, even if he lost out to Dr No and OHMSS' Blofeld.

Not only that, but I figured from the start that Grant would've won the entire game. It's quite surprising.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Creasy47 wrote:

Not only that, but I figured from the start that Grant would've won the entire game. It's quite surprising.

As far as I remember, Grant was considered by many voters not to be the main villain but a henchman, and that was apparently the reasoning for voting him down. A slightly weak argument in my opininon. There's no crystal clear consensus regarding who the main villain is in FRWL, and when he was included in this game one should vote for him regardless.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    jobo wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

As far as I remember, Grant was considered by many voters not to be the main villain but a henchman, and that was apparently the reasoning for voting him down. A slightly weak argument in my opininon. There's no crystal clear consensus regarding who the main villain is in FRWL, and when he was included in this game one should vote for him regardless.
    His hierarchy on the villain scale is irrelevant to me. He is for my money the most interesting and dangerous villain of the film, and one of the best in the series. He's cold, silent and deadly, and his final scene on the Orient Express where he and Bond have a game of mental and physical chest cements his greatness.
    jobo wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

His hierarchy on the villain scale is irrelevant to me. He is for my money the most interesting and dangerous villain of the film, and one of the best in the series. He's cold, silent and deadly, and his final scene on the Orient Express where he and Bond have a game of mental and physical chest cements his greatness.

I agree completely, and I would dare to go even a bit further: As much as I love Dalton, Connery and Craig... I think Shaw's performance is the best ever in the series. Yes, there I said it! ;)

He is the main reason FRWL is the classic it is. I hope he gets his revenge in the future "Henchman Elimination Game".
    Agreed,and that is why i put him in the game as FRWL representative.
    Klebb or Blofeld would not have lasted very long.

As a character he does indeed escalate FRWL into 'classic' status.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 13,879
    barryt007 wrote:
    With that logic, Graves should've been swapped out for Miranda Frost, and Koskov for Necros.
    jobo wrote:
    I'm baffled as to why people would label Grant the main villain. Is it because he's more prominent a character or just more likeable? I, and a few others here voted down Grant because he IS the henchman. HE works for Klebb, not the other way around, so he's the henchman, simple as that. Besides, he's listed everywhere on the internet as a henchman, or Klebb's henchman, and the internet's NEVER wrong...
    To restore balance, I expect to see Klebb in the henchman elimination game.

It may seem like I'm making a big deal out of this, and the truth is, I am. :P ;)
    QBranch wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:
    With that logic, Graves should've been swapped out for Miranda Frost, and Koskov for Necros.

jobo wrote:
    I'm baffled as to why people would label Grant the main villain. Is it because he's more prominent a character or just more likeable? I, and a few others here voted down Grant because he IS the henchman. HE works for Klebb, not the other way around, so he's the henchman, simple as that. Besides, he's listed everywhere on the internet as a henchman, or Klebb's henchman, and the internet's NEVER wrong...

It may seem like I'm making a big deal out of this, and the truth is, I am. :P ;)

I think someone needs to get out more.....

I'm always out... protesting on the street. ;)
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade

That is not surprising at all. The way this game is configured the villain that is most compatible with most participant wins. So he may not be in the top-3 of the majority, but he is a consensus candidate that most of us can live with.

The game should be repeated with a Champion's League-style elimination formula (rounds of 4, then elimination table), I am sure this would bring out a different result.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    QBranch wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:
    jobo wrote:

Agreed. It is like naming Jaws the main villain. Jaws has even more screentime than Grant, to be fair. and Sandor obeys him, that pathetic rat.
    zebrafish wrote:

That is not surprising at all. The way this game is configured the villain that is most compatible with most participant wins. So he may not be in the top-3 of the majority, but he is a consensus candidate that most of us can live with.

The game should be repeated with a Champion's League-style elimination formula (rounds of 4, then elimination table), I am sure this would bring out a different result.

That indeed is an interesting idea! But how would the seeding work?
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    The seeding could be based on the result of this game and of others like it in the archives of this site.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 6,396
    jobo wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

This.
    This.
    I, too, agree.
    mental and physical chest cements his greatness.
    As long as it's healthy, Mr. Osato will also agree. ;)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited May 2014 Posts: 5,080
    QBranch wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:
    jobo wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Grant would have done much better in the henchman/woman elimination game.

And as for Rosa Klebb, I find her to be one of my favourite villainesses in the series.
    QBranch wrote:
    This.
    I, too, agree.
    mental and physical chest cements his greatness.
    As long as it's healthy, Mr. Osato will also agree. ;)

*Chess. #-o
    *Chess. #-o
    You know I jess jest ;)