ALIEN Franchise

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    So does anyone have an answer to my question, by any chance? I'm still thinking about it and how they knew. It seems like a part was cut that would've made that scene make more sense.

You know what always gets me in 'Alien'? Dallas is freaking out more and more and they're telling him to move because the Alien is right behind him. He jumps down, shines the light in the midst of that chaos, and BOOM, right there with arms raised out, ready to kill him. So scary.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    So does anyone have an answer to my question, by any chance? I'm still thinking about it and how they knew. It seems like a part was cut that would've made that scene make more sense.

You know what always gets me in 'Alien'? Dallas is freaking out more and more and they're telling him to move because the Alien is right behind him. He jumps down, shines the light in the midst of that chaos, and BOOM, right there with arms raised out, ready to kill him. So scary.
    To answer your question, in the Director's Cut, Parker runs in just as Brett is hoisted up by the alien and blood drips down on him.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 40,374
    Thank you, Willy. I figured it was something crucial that I had missed.

I'm not sure what made me choose the Theatrical Edition instead, but I guess I read something online that alluded to that version being better. Well apparently not, not if it's missing scenes that further improve the story and any possible plot holes.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited May 2014 Posts: 4,043
    The problem with the directors cut is that the Dallas cocoon sequence doesn't make sense when relating to the later films and even Ridley said this himself.

I prefer the the Theatrical personally and see it as the best for me the DC is interesting but I'm unlikely to watch it again. See the spoiler below, unless I'm missing something that sequence makes no sense.
    There is no reason to cocoon Dallas as there is no facehugger to impregnate him on the ship.
    What happens with Dallas being cocooned? Yet another thing the theatrical version lacks, it seems.

Creasy47 wrote:
    What happens with Dallas being cocooned? Yet another thing the theatrical version lacks, it seems.
    Basically, as Ripley is escaping the ship towards the end, she stumbles upon a part of the ship the Alien has made to be its nest. She hears some groaning noises and then she sees Dallas, who has been cocooned. He really isn't human anymore, and he begs her to kill him. Basically, Dallas is "metamorphosing" into an Alien egg, along with Brett, but he is in a much later phase. Ripley, being the nice person she is, puts him out of his misery. They removed it from the film because it ruined the pacing of the film and detracted from the escape, and thankfully it was deleted as it would have meant that the entire series would have been slightly different.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    As well as slowing down that perfectly paced climax of the film it makes no sense, the Alien aboard is not a queen and has no means to cocoon any of the crew anyway, it not only would have made sense to the rest of the series it doesn't work within the context of the film on it's own full stop.
    Aliens - Game Over, Man! Game Over!
    Alien - Hey, someone's gotta be the first. Great atmosphere.
    Alien3 / Alien Resurrection - Alien 3 is just creepy and it's bringin' me down, man... Alien Resurrection is a nice action flick, kind of reminds me of Aliens. But it's not nearly as good as that film. Still, I don't get all the hate it gets.

AvP - Nice story. Backstory made for Weyland Co. Other than that...not too good.
    AvP - Requiem - Uh, what the hell. Aliens in our time....crapitycrapcrap!
    I had about 25 minutes left of 'Alien: Resurrection,' but it was about 5 A.M. and I was really tired, but...why does it get so much hate? I think 'Alien 3' was like 'Alien,' only dialed back on the scares, the cast, and the practical effects, and I see 'Alien: Resurrection' as 'Aliens,' only dialed back on the practical effects. If they hadn't used that certain type of VFX for three or four, they could be amazing films, but still, I think they're both very good and I'm surprised with them, given the amount of hate they seem to receive.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Ressurection is better than Aliens. Better effects, less shootemout boring action, less juvenile story, and hot Wynona.
    I wouldn't say 'Resurrection' has better effects, as whatever they used to film some of the Xenomorph running/swimming scenes in this really takes me out of the experience and kills it for me at times.
    Ressurection is better than Aliens. Better effects, less shootemout boring action, less juvenile story, and hot Wynona.

Wrong on every point. ;-)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Wrong on every point. ;-)

Wynona. :))
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 13,879
    @Creasy I'm glad you finally got around to watching them all. That's an interesting comparison between the first two and last two films that I never noticed before. I quite like Resurrection, as well. I love how the Xenomorphs escape their cell, and Ripley is more like them, down to the dark fingernails and acid blood. My most recent rankings would probably be:

Aliens
    Alien (near tie between these two)

Resurrection
    Alien 3 (near tie between these two)
    @QBranch, same, and thank you very much. It's like the latter two films aped the first two, in a sense, while at the same time putting their own spin on it. It's very nice, and I think while I have my favorites, each film is so entertaining because of how different, yet similar they are. Probably one of my favorite marathons I've gone through.
    I saw an Alien Resurrection review on YouTube and it looked funny :)) I've not seen it for years so have forgotten quite a lot but I did see the cheesy bit when alien-Ripley says something like

"Who do I have to f*** to get around here"

Urgh. Talk about raping a character
    edited May 2014 Posts: 40,374
    "Who do I have to f*** to get off this boat?" or something like that. That's one of the other things I don't like about 'Resurrection,' the fact that they had to bring Weaver back so bad that they made her a one-dimensional (for at least the former half of the film) hybrid clone. It's irritating and takes away from how great her character was in the first three films. But, she gets more emotional and humanistic as the film goes on, which is a nice change. I also love that underwater scene, sans the fake-looking Xenomorphs. When Johner turns around and just blasts one of them into a million pieces in slow-motion, I smile.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    "So, who do I have to f*** to get off this boat?"

Hybrid Ripley is no lady :))
    When Ripley is just Ripley in the other films, she has some fantastic and hilarious lines. I love when Burke is explaining to her how they can't just nuke the planet because of how much money they would be destroying, all she says is "They can bill me."
    There's the best line of all

"Get away from her you BITCH!!!!
    Speaking of great lines and alien movies - albeit a cheesy line - has anyone seen 'Leviathan' with Peter Weller?
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Speaking of great lines and alien movies - albeit a cheesy line - has anyone seen 'Leviathan' with Peter Weller?

Yes! With Ernie Hudson and Richard Crenna.

A long, long time ago.
    Nevermind, I just checked the quotes, and could've swore that:
    Peter Weller says something different that was both cheesy and hilarious when he throws the dynamite into the alien's mouth at the end of the movie.

It's still pretty good, though. I haven't seen the movie in a few months but I thought it was good, from what I remember.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Nevermind, I just checked the quotes, and could've swore that:
    Peter Weller says something different that was both cheesy and hilarious when he throws the dynamite into the alien's mouth at the end of the movie.

It's still pretty good, though. I haven't seen the movie in a few months but I thought it was good, from what I remember.
    If memory serves me right, it's a rip off line from The Thing where Weller says "Say Hi Muthafucker". Or something to that effect.
    That's it. I thought he said "Say ahh, muthafucker." in 'Leviathan,' but apparently not.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    That's it. I thought he said "Say ahh, muthafucker." in 'Leviathan,' but apparently not.

No it sounds like you may be right. I'm going off memory from about 20 years ago now. ;-)
    I got some increased interest in the movie once they announced it's finally hitting blu-ray in August, so I may check it out. I just worry it'll be worse than I remembered because the beauty of the 'Alien' universe is fresh in my mind. ;-)
    Looks like the thread title has to be xenomorphed. Neill Blomkamp will make an Alien movie:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/411255-neill-blomkamp-is-officially-taking-on-an-alien-sequel#/slide/10
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 1,964
    Alien and Aliens are 2 of my favorite movies of all time and I love the story those 2 movies told them came along Alien 3 and Alien reassurection and I'm sorry but those 2 movies are fuckin abortions I hate those 2 movies so fuckin much. They took a great story with Ripley and just took a massive dump on it with Alien 3 & Alien Reasurection.