Steve Cole's New Young Bond Novels Series - Reviews and Discussion

Comments

The cover's quite good but the title is more than a little bland.

I'm hoping EON don't use the words "Kill" or "Die" in whatever they choose for the B24 title.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 2014 Posts: 17,727
    The title recalls the "shoot-to-kill" policy alleged to operate in Northern Ireland.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    edited May 2014 Posts: 3,277

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I like the title, and the cover is good too. :-bd
    I might MIGHT pick up shoot to kill

Do we have a time period when this is set?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It's set in 1934.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Poking around the image upload directories of websites again, eh?
    Any idea when this book is coming out?
    6th November in the UK.
    Steve Cole will announce the title and reveal the cover of his new Young Bond novel at Hay Festival of Literature & the Arts

He will unveil a giant replica book in front of an audience at Hay Festival of Literature & the Arts, on Wednesday 28 May, Ian Fleming’s birthday, accompanied by Charlie Higson, author of five Young Bond books. The occasion marks the official handover of the authorship of the Young Bond novels.

The new Young Bond novel is published in the UK by Penguin Random House Children’s on 6 November 2014.
    Great! I can't wait. I'm excited to find out what the title may be.
    So was Shoot To Kill (plus the cover) bogus then?
    Of course not. Marketto leaked it early, that was all. I was just joking around.

I'll be interested to read the interviews and hear what is said on the day by Higson and Cole.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited May 2014 Posts: 5,080
    The cover for "Shoot to Kill" has been released-

2s5xpuo.jpg
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 4,622
    I wish this Young Bond would grow up soon and we can get into some young-man Bond instead, like Bond in his 20s.
    Great news. Here's a video unveiling the title and cover.

The cover for "Shoot to Kill" has been released-

2s5xpuo.jpg

Pretty cool cover actually!
    I take it from the cover that there is a film theme then?
    Am I the only one that hates the cover? I feel like I could have made that with a Stockphoto subscription and 5 mintues.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Dragonpol wrote:

Bond is in Hollywood, so there is bound to be.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 2,593
    timmer wrote:
    I wish this Young Bond would grow up soon and we can get into some young-man Bond instead, like Bond in his 20s.

Yeah, same.

Shoot to Kill is Bond sounding but also pretty clichéd. I don't really care too much though as long as the book is good. Anyway, it's a better title than Double or Die. The Deadlock Cipher was a much better title, but hey, that's what you get when you let little kids vote for the title.

I like the cover but Bond's arms look a little on the scrawny side. I know he's only 14 but being Bond, he should be a tad more muscular.

Happy 106th Birthday for yesterday Mr Fleming! I was about to say "Many Happy Returns". ;) Had a nice time on The Great Wall of China yesterday and I was thinking, what is special about this date aside for the fact that is was the day I finally saw this popular tourist attraction.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Bond is in Hollywood, so there is bound to be.

Oh, I see. I've not read up enough on it yet! Could be interesting that.
    Does anyone know what Higson and Cole said at the launch event?
    Incredible, the artwork depicts a Walther P38, a pistol that was not produced until 1938 for the cover of a book that is set in 1934!
    Don't IFP vet anything?
    If they can't get the dust jacket right than what chance have we got with the story?
    Villiers53 wrote:
    Incredible, the artwork depicts a Walther P38, a pistol that was not produced until 1938 for the cover of a book that is set in 1934!
    Don't IFP vet anything?
    If they can't get the dust jacket right than what chance have we got with the story?

Oh dearie me...not good!
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Higson said that he hadn't resigned the franchise it was just that the timing didn't suit his schedule. Hence, he very graciously mentioned that they had found a better author in Cole.
    He also went on to say that despite Puffin's (the publisher) reservations, they had managed to incorporate all of the adult facets of Bond into the 'Young Series' with the exception of smoking.
    Cole, for his part said how honoured he was - time will tell if we are!
    Nobody mentioned how a pistol that was only prototyped in 1938 appeared on the cover of a novel set in 1934. Doubtless IFP thought it was a cracking design and that they'd get more wonga out of us uneducated mugs.Evidently the proposal to put a laser gun on the front has been held over until Cole's next epic to be set in 1935!
    Villiers53 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Higson said that he hadn't resigned the franchise it was just that the timing didn't suit his schedule. Hence, he very graciously mentioned that they had found a better author in Cole.
    He also went on to say that despite Puffin's (the publisher) reservations, they had managed to incorporate all of the adult facets of Bond into the 'Young Series' with the exception of smoking.
    Nobody mentioned how a pistol that was only prototyped in 1938 appeared on the cover of a novel set in 1934. Doubtless IFP thought it was a cracking design and that they'd get more wonga out of us uneducated mugs.Evidently the proposal to put a laser gun on the front has been held over until Cole's next epic to be set in 1935!

I wouldn't be surprised. Bond will run into a 1930's scientist who has designed laser guns in secret.
    Villiers53 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Thanks @Villiers53. The video on the main site is also worth a watch for those who haven't seen it.
    The latest news, which isn't much:

http://www.thebookbond.com/

Lucky for that comment brightly highlighted at the end. I thought that IFP may have really lost the plot!
    Bounine wrote:
    The latest news, which isn't much:

http://www.thebookbond.com/

Lucky for that comment brightly highlighted at the end. I thought that IFP may have really lost the plot!

They were even considering updating Young Bond to the 1980s? Are they insane? Oh, yes they are. I remember now: they commissioned Carte Blanche...