What Bond needs to be Bond

edited May 2014 in Bond 26 & Beyond Posts: 2
As a huge fan I get worried that sometimes they try too hard lately to take Bond "in a new direction"
If a Bond film does not have certain things then all we end up doing is watching just another action film.
If you want action then watch Bourne, Mission Impossible etc but if you want Bond then certain things need to exist. The formula has been successful for over 50 years so don't mess with it too much.
1. Opening gun barrell at the beginning, this cements the viewer with the reassurance that THIS is Bond.
2. More familiar musical score, the theme tune needs to be used more at key moments, I don't want just another action soundtrack, When bond is doing somethingoutrageous or getting one over on the bad guy, the theme needs to kick in David Arnold was always a fan of this but lost it a tad with QOS.
3. Gadgets, now before we all get on our high horses on this let's not forget how Goldfinger shot the franchise into the stratosphere with a few special gadgets like the DB5 . The same can be said for The Spy Who Loved Me, everyone loves the Lotus sub, I'm not saying Craig's Bond needs anything like that but some nice little toys would be nice to elevate his movies into the same memorable bracket.
4. Blofeld, this has to be a firm staple of the Bond franchise, while not in every film, having him elude Bond would be a nice background storyline.
5. Humour, Bonds wit needs to be brought back a bit, I agree that it should not be silly but as a big Moore fan, this is a great element that still has a place in Bond.
Obviously to add to this we need, exotic locations, beautiful women, manic villains and memorable theme songs.
I feel better for getting that out there...

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'm sure this could go here:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/4193/bond-24-wish-list

Same kind of topic really.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I agree with every single word.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Besides maybe #2, I wouldn't mind if all the rest of this was discarded. Don't care where the gun barrel goes, don't like gadgets all that much, don't think Blofeld is the end all be all Bond villain and I'm not a fan of humor in the films if it is too forced and campy. Moderation is key, especially for a Bond like Craig's who I don't think calls for a lot of humor.
    Besides maybe #2, I wouldn't mind if all the rest of this was discarded. Don't care where the gun barrel goes, don't like gadgets all that much, don't think Blofeld is the end all be all Bond villain and I'm not a fan of humor in the films if it is too forced and campy. Moderation is key, especially for a Bond like Craig's who I don't think calls for a lot of humor.

I'll second that. What the OP wrote is a list of secondary aspects of the Bond movies that are in no way essential.

I am all for the return of Blofeld, by the way, providing he is done faithfully to the novels' Blofeld, but even he is not essential to Bond. He would be the best nemesis one could ever, the way Moriarty is to Sherlock Holmes, but neither nemesis are essential to their respective hero.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I'm sure this could go here:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/4193/bond-24-wish-list

Same kind of topic really.

Exactly, @Samuel001!

This discussion has been closed.