The Wizarding World of Harry Potter and the Works of JK Rowling

MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
edited November 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 5,080

Anything and everything about the World of Harry Potter (and JK Rowling, too!)!

Exciting times in the world of Harry Potter.

JK Rowling is to make her screenwriting debut in a new Harry Potter-themed film series, Warner Bros has announced.
The first film of the series will be titled Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
Warner Bros said the film series was part of an "expanded creative partnership" with the best-selling author.
The eight Harry Potter films are the largest-grossing film franchise in history.
“ I always said that I would only revisit the wizarding world if I had an idea that I was really excited about and this is it.”

-JK Rowling

The new film will feature Newt Scamander, the fictional author of the textbook Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, owned by Harry Potter at Hogwarts school.
Warner Bros has given no indication as to when the film could go into production.

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Actually, I love Harry Potter. :)
    I have my doubts about this as it would not have any regular characters - at least not the main characters - from the finished Potter series. But just the magical world she invented is fun and interesting and if well filmed, then this could ... perhaps ... be a good film. Hard to visualize it, though. I read the slim book (Fantastic Beasts ...) years ago. It was like fun filler info into the wizarding world.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Actually, I love Harry Potter. :)
    I have my doubts about this as it would not have any regular characters - at least not the main characters - from the finished Potter series. But just the magical world she invented is fun and interesting and if well filmed, then this could ... perhaps ... be a good film. Hard to visualize it, though. I read the slim book (Fantastic Beasts ...) years ago. It was like fun filler info into the wizarding world.

Precisely what I thought. Fantastic Beasts is just a...textbook. So it will very interesting to see what it becomes.
  • I do love the movies certainly the first four films, suspected that universe would continue in some way.
  • I'm interested in this addition to wizarding world even though I'm not the biggest HP fan. I'm curious on the timeline. Will the story be set before the events of the 7 books? I guess so.
    I'm interested in this addition to wizarding world even though I'm not the biggest HP fan. I'm curious on the timeline. Will the story be set before the events of the 7 books? I guess so.

I believe it is neither a sequel or prequel, but an "expansion" of the wizarding world. It will be about a wizarding author Newt Scamander beginning in New York 70 years before Harry's story.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    News -> General Movies & TV
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2013 Posts: 4,416
    So we finaly get those fire slugs (that is what it be my fantasie when i read the book) we not been seen in Goblet of Fire movie. In the book this animal whas one of those animals (Dutch: Fabel Dieren) of Hagrid and if iam correct there also pop up in the Labyrinth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Beasts_and_Where_to_Find_Them

M_Balje wrote:
    So we finaly get those fire slugs (that is what it be my fantasie when i read the book) we not been seen in Goblet of Fire movie. In the book this animal whas one of those animals (Dutch: Fabel Dieren) of Hagrid and if iam correct there also pop up in the Labyrinth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Beasts_and_Where_to_Find_Them

Ah, you are refering to Blast-Ended Skrewts. Yes, I hope they appear in the film as well!

edited October 2013 Posts: 4,416
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/29083/radcliffe-is-open-to-a-potter-beasts-cameo
    Radcliffe Is Open To A Potter "Beasts" Cameo

By Garth Franklin Thursday October 10th 2013 02:43PM

Daniel Radcliffe says he isn't against reprising his Harry Potter role in the upcoming film adaptation of J.K. Rowling's "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them". He tells THR:

"I don't think I'm going to be coming back. we can't be doing these characters when we're 40, so there has to be a line drawn.

[However] I never know what Jo [Rowling] is going to write, but at the moment I'm in the same position that everyone else is in -- waiting to hear what information is coming out because I don't know anything about these new films… I'll be intrigued to see what she does."

M_Balje wrote:
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/29083/radcliffe-is-open-to-a-potter-beasts-cameo

Daniel Radcliffe says he isn't against reprising his Harry Potter role in the upcoming film adaptation of J.K. Rowling's "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them". He tells THR:

"I don't think I'm going to be coming back. we can't be doing these characters when we're 40, so there has to be a line drawn.

[However] I never know what Jo [Rowling] is going to write, but at the moment I'm in the same position that everyone else is in -- waiting to hear what information is coming out because I don't know anything about these new films… I'll be intrigued to see what she does."

I don't know how they will do it (if they were to), because the film is said to be set many years before the events of Harry Potter.
  • M_Balje wrote:

I don't know how they will do it (if they were to), because the film is said to be set many years before the events of Harry Potter.

the whole movie is a revisit of the past so a cameo will do. Harry's children find the book at home and ask their father.
  • M_Balje wrote:

the whole movie is a revisit of the past so a cameo will do. Harry's children find the book at home and ask their father.
    edited October 2013 Posts: 5,080
    M_Balje wrote:

No, the film is set around seventy years BEFORE Harry was born.

Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them will be released on November 18 2016.

What we know so far-

-David Heyman (who worked in the Potter Series, too) will be the producer

-It will be part of a trilogy

-Will be set in 1920s New York, seventy years before the events of the Harry Potter series

-Will feature Newt Scamander as a main character

No news as of yet of any cast members or director.

And I am happy to just throw in here that the Harry Potter world (part of Universal Studios here) is opening mid July in Osaka!!! I can't wait. It will be so expensive, but I don't care. I love the stories and the films and to be able to visit this oh so magical place, that is apparently done in fantastic detail, is going to be a blast! Butterbeer and broomsticks, here I come. :-bd
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them aka:

How To Suck On The Teet Of An Old Cash Cow And Milk It Dry.
    Well, I don't know how they can do much with the book ... so they will have to really enlarge the story. With Heyman involved, I think I will try to give them the benefit of the doubt at first.

Willy, I think plenty of people would be happy to revisit the wizarding world that was so enjoyable with the Harry Potter stories. If it is a decent story and filmed as high a quality as the Potter films, then it may be worth a look.
    Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them aka:

How To Suck On The Teet Of An Old Cash Cow And Milk It Dry.

I can't deny that I felt this way when I first heard about it, the same way I felt about a seventh Star Wars film. If, like @4EverBonded says, it is filmed to same high level of degree as the Potters, I can't complain. And Heyman is a fantastic producer, you can tell he really engages with the source material and truly appreciates Rowling's work.

And it's great that more places are getting the Wizarding World Theme Park! The US will no longer have a monopoly in Potter merchandise, now Japan has a theme park and the UK has the Studio Tour (which was incredible!).
    edited May 2014 Posts: 4,416
    Iam curious or Newt Scamander have name trick like Tom Marvel Riddle = My Name Is Voldemort. (Dutch: Marten Asmodom Vilijn/Mijn Naam Is Voldemort)
    edited May 2014 Posts: 4,416
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/32193/cuaron-in-talks-for-potter-spin-off-beasts

Cuaron In Talks For Potter Spin-Off "Beasts"?
    By Garth Franklin Monday May 19th 2014 11:10AM
    Cuaron In Talks For Potter Spin-Off "Beasts"?
    Of the eight "Harry Potter" films, the one that routinely comes out on top in many people's eyes is "Gravity" and "Children of Men" director Alfonso Cuaron's third film in the series "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban".

Now, Nikki Finke claims Cuaron is "deep in talks" to return to the world that J.K. Rowling created - by taking the helm of the upcoming spin-off feature and potential trilogy launcher "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" at Warner Bros. Pictures.

The film follows the adventures of the book's fictitious author, Newt Scamander, in a time seven decades before the events of the 'Potter' films began. It is currently targeting a November 2016 release.

Great, the 3th Harry Potter have the best special effects and music of them.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Oh hell NO !

I truly wished this serie ended a few years ago. I can't stand it globally... Emma Watson is the only valuable thing in this piece of shit. IMEO (In my eyes only) No spin off please. Bad news for me. :(
    Excellent the world needs another British franchise in which we get to showcase a load of English talent instead of the usual US bubbleheads obsessed by so-called beauty over any talent.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Oh hell NO !

I truly wished this serie ended a few years ago. I can't stand it globally... Emma Watson is the only valuable thing in this piece of shit. IMEO (In my eyes only) No spin off please. Bad news for me. :(
    The Harry Potter franchise, my good sir, is a remarkable piece of cinematic power that asserts itself as one of the crowning achievements of the medium and through it's epic story surrounding Harry, Hermione and Ron it teaches us that the greatest magic of all is friendship. I shall not stand for you casting aspersions upon its good name in this way! ;)
    Oh hell NO !

Why is it bad news for you? You've just said that you don't like the series, so why does it come as bad news? I don't particularly like The Lord of the Rings, but I didn't care when The Hobbit came out. If it makes money, and has a large following (and was critically praised), then I don't see any problem, to be honest...
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/32793/jk-rowling-s-beasts-films-at-leavesden
    JK Rowling's "Beasts" Films At Leavesden

By Garth Franklin Thursday July 3rd 2014 07:45AM

The upcoming film adaptation of J.K. Rowling's "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" is returning to the franchise's cinematic home - Leavesden Studios in the UK. All eight of the previous "Harry Potter" films were shot at the facility.

Set seven decades before the events of the "Harry Potter" novels, the story follows Newton Scamander who was mentioned briefly in the Potter books.

Rowling makes her screenwriting debut with the film which she's adapting herself. David Heyman is onboard to produce, but there's no cast, director or production start date yet locked in place.

The film is currently targeting a November 2016 release.

Source: Screen

M_Balje wrote:
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/32793/jk-rowling-s-beasts-films-at-leavesden

By Garth Franklin Thursday July 3rd 2014 07:45AM

The upcoming film adaptation of J.K. Rowling's "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" is returning to the franchise's cinematic home - Leavesden Studios in the UK. All eight of the previous "Harry Potter" films were shot at the facility.

Set seven decades before the events of the "Harry Potter" novels, the story follows Newton Scamander who was mentioned briefly in the Potter books.

Rowling makes her screenwriting debut with the film which she's adapting herself. David Heyman is onboard to produce, but there's no cast, director or production start date yet locked in place.

The film is currently targeting a November 2016 release.

Source: Screen

Ah yes, I saw this on my Facebook page. I suppose it's of no surprise as all of the Potter films were filmed at Leavesden.
    I'm surprised to see that there is no thread for the Harry Potter franchise on the forum, so I'd thought I'd merge the original "Fantastic Beasts" thread into everything Harry Potter.

I will try to update this thread regularly with any news about the Harry Potter films or other JK Rowling news.

So in recent news-

- JK Rowling releases new material about the Hogwarts Professor Dolores Umbridge (my personal favourite character from the series!). The work can be found on JKR's Pottermore website.

- Warner Bros. confirms that "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" will be a trilogy, being released in 2016, 2018 and 2020 respectively.
    Source: http://huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/15/fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them-trilogy_n_5991016.html

Feel free to post any other tidbits or news you come across!
    Great! I am a huge Harry Potter fan. Thanks for merging the threads, @MayDayDiVicenzo!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    On the advice of a good friend and literature professor I recently started reading the books and I'm so surprised I'm enjoying them so much! I liked the films but I have a love-hate relationship with fantasy books and I feared I wouldn't like them. I read Philosopher's Stone in less than a week and am half way through Chamber of Secrets. They really are good and obviously not just for children :-bd
    Sandy wrote: »
    On the advice of a good friend and literature professor I recently started reading the books and I'm so surprised I'm enjoying them so much! I liked the films but I have a love-hate relationship with fantasy books and I feared I wouldn't like them. I read Philosopher's Stone in less than a week and am half way through Chamber of Secrets. They really are good and obviously not just for children :-bd

Glad you are enjoying them, @Sandy! I was taken aback at just how good The Philosopher's Stone is when I read it for the first time a few years ago. It kickstarted my love for the series.