Jaws : Carnivore or Clown ?

13»

Comments

Sorry for double post! I dont see why Jaws cant be reinterpreted. Dan Craig would defo present him with much more of a physical challenge than Moore.
    Jaws hasn't been seen since 1979 but there's sometimes these sort of adversaries about but on a lesser scale. We started with Grant in '63, and these people have popped up throughout the series since then such as Hans (YOLT), Kreigler (YOLT), Gobinda (OP), Stamper (TND), Of course there would be other examples throughout time but those would be the ones we would automatically think of etc. Is it really necessary to have an outsize villain or some great behemoth filling the screen out to get Bond even. Jaws was a one off for that, yes he did the two releases, but one was quite enough. I like to see Bond up against smart guys like Doctor No and Scaramanga, where brute force isn't always necessary, not going fist to fist with some heavies with room temperature IQs

Bond should really use his wits and dexterity and greater cunning to overcome villains, rather than hand to hand combat or getting embroilled in fisticuffs and all in wrestling, it's maybe how I feel about it at this moment in time, but these types of things are always subject to change, but I'm sticking with it for now
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Grant, Hans, Kriegler, and Stamper are all way too similar to one another. Aryan henchman, yawn. Give us something new, Eon!
    Jaws needs to stay in the past,nobody else could play him apart from Richard Kiel,and he was a character of his time,he belongs in the '70s.

The Bond films have always been good at not raking over old ground,and,Blofeld apart,it should stay that way - there are enough options and choices out there.
    I really love Jaws! :)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Not really sure what the point total is, but I would have to give half a point to both carnivore and clown.

Can't really add anything new that hasn't already been said, but regardless of his appearance in Moonraker, I still think that he is an amazing creation, up their with the likes of the Joker and Darth Vader.
    If you were you ask what kind of film might feature a man falling out of a plane into a circus tent and surviving or a film in which a man snaps a steel cable with his teeth, would you arrive at serious, dramatic thriller? This seems more like the stuff of comedy or superhero. What a long wait it was to finally get this sort of silliness that turned a good series into a parody of itself.
    Carnivore: 5
    Clownish: 1

TSWLM, MR, FYEO: best 3-movie streak in the history of Bond.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    TSWLM:

Carnivore 6-1

MR:

Carnivore 5-2
    Despite the menace he posed in TSWLM Jaws was still basically a cartoonish character. He cheated death many times in Spy as much as he did in MR.

Babs and MGW are so into looking forward with Craig's films that we can forget about any nostalgic returns i.e., Jaws, SPECTRE, and Quantum
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Despite the menace he posed in TSWLM Jaws was still basically a cartoonish character. He cheated death many times in Spy as much as he did in MR.

Babs and MGW are so into looking forward with Craig's films that we can forget about any nostalgic returns i.e., Jaws, SPECTRE, and Quantum

Why are you so sure?
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 14,816
    I am all for nostalgia, but selective one: Jaws would be all wrong for this day and age. In fact, I don't think he was that great to begin with. So yes, he is more of a clown than a carnivore.
    As we're now into re-boot territory, guess the series is now open to just about any possibility. There's already plenty of rumors of an ill-advised return for Blofeld in the near future, not to mention other past characters many would seem redundant and unnecessary, so what's to stop them bringing back the Jaws character ? Hell, you can actually see a number of people in favor of it, although sincerely hope it never sees the light of day. The Kiel character was very much a people's favorite for his two appearances in the 1970s, and the producers will doubtless be aware of this, and may go as far to bring him back for 21st century audiences. Point being, if they were to resurrect this outdated name, I think the character could appear more cartoonish than before or an idea that simply isn't viable. If Jaws was a circus act, so to speak, for his two Kiel appearances, then what is he going to resemble to todays audiences ? Last word on this being, the character idea worked for The Spy Who Loved Me, degenerated into outright embarrassment for Moonraker, and he can only be acknowledged for those two (hit and miss) appearances. Any subsequent return to the present day really isn't an option