Jason Bourne (2002 - present)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That was one of my main reasons for seeing 'Legacy': Stacy Keach. Excellent actor, I enjoy seeing him still working.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    That was one of my main reasons for seeing 'Legacy': Stacy Keach. Excellent actor, I enjoy seeing him still working.

For me it was seeing how they would continue the franchise without Jason Bourne and Jeremy Renner did do an excellent job imho. And the suprting cast was very good, so overal the new Bourne movie went another direction without the mindnumbing edits but still a bloody decent amount of actionscenes and a good story ( which made more sense than the less than logical SF)

Jeremy Renner did fine, my biggest complaints were the terrible editing and the anticlimactic finale, complete with bad CGI.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Jeremy Renner did fine, my biggest complaints were the terrible editing and the anticlimactic finale, complete with bad CGI.

So it copied SF, where is the crime in that,except for copying bad stuff. ;)

I am very much looking forward to bourne 5 bond 24 and mission impossible 5 I do hope that in all three cases the writers/directors/actors take what worked in the previous installments and improve on what didn't
    Risico007 wrote:
    I am very much looking forward to bourne 5 bond 24 and mission impossible 5 I do hope that in all three cases the writers/directors/actors take what worked in the previous installments and improve on what didn't

I fully agree with you.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 14,800
    I am going to ask the same question: why not do like all franchise and reboot the whole thing? It didn't even take a decade to Spider-Man.

And a disclaimer: while I am being sarcastic here, wouldn't it still be better, in due time, than making yet another sequel?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Ludovico wrote:
    I am going to ask the same question: why not do like all franchise and reboot the whole thing? It didn't even take a decade to Spider-Man.

And a disclaimer: while I am being sarcastic here, wouldn't it still be better, in due time, than making yet another sequel?

No, it really wouldn't. If the studio is going to a money grubbing arsehat, they can just make more sequels that don't completely defecate on the greatness Liman and Greengrass were able to create with the trilogy.

The only way I would approve of a Bourne reboot would be if they added a present day adaption of Carlos the Jackal in the film with a Bourne whose arc was closer to that of the books, where he was middle aged by the third film. They would need to have a new way for Bourne and Carlos to face off over the course of the films though, as Ludlum failed horribly at that by the time he was done with the books.
    Well Batman is going to be rebooted after the very successful trilogy of Nolan, but true I don't like this idea at all. Of course if they were to make a reboot of Bourne, or indeed a sequel, I thought they should most definitely bring back Carlos. He's the big absentee of the original movie trilogy.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ludovico wrote:
    Well Batman is going to be rebooted after the very successful trilogy of Nolan, but true I don't like this idea at all. Of course if they were to make a reboot of Bourne, or indeed a sequel, I thought they should most definitely bring back Carlos. He's the big absentee of the original movie trilogy.

I can see why they left him out though, as he is a figure of a bygone era that is now decades old. Like I said though, he could easily be updated to the current time, as terrorism is still an ever-present issue facing the world.
    They'd need to change his name, probably, but otherwise the character is very topical.
    http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/69691/20131215/bourne-movie-5.htm

I would venture this is laughably untrue but...
    Risico007 wrote:
    http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/69691/20131215/bourne-movie-5.htm

I would venture this is laughably untrue but...

To me, that pretty much says that without Greengrass, Damon won't end up returning, as in the past they've said they won't do another without the other person involved.
    We shall see, I will most certainly watch the next Bourne movie anyhow.
    SaintMark wrote:

me as well
    SaintMark wrote:

Yeah, I'll see it, as well. Might not rush to theaters to see it, but I'll watch it at some point.
    Not sure where to put this, but it appears Matt Damon is up for being Jason Bourne once more:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=117854
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Once again, it must be with Paul Greengrass. I can't ever see it happening.
    Neither can I. I think after the success of 'Captain Phillips,' Paul won't want to return to another 'Bourne' film so long after 'Ultimatum.'
    Samuel001 wrote:

Yep it has always been in Paul Greengrsses hands rather than Matt Damon's.
    stll no new news on the Renner staring sequel... sigh I really loved the Bourne Legacy
    @Risico007, you may have been one of the only ones who loved it. That, or my view of it is heavily incorrect, because I thought it was one of the worst films I saw in recent years.
  • Justin Lin did a good job with the Fast and Furious franchise by taking over a new story and incorporating old characters in it as a surprise. Chances are that Justin Lin won't disappoint but we'll see. I hope original elements that give the Bond producers a run for their money will return, even if Jason Bourne doesn't get featured. Something to compete with Bond so the series doesn't repeat itself like the Moore/Brosnan years.
  • Samuel001 wrote:

How about a future Bond movie with Paul Greengrass directing?
    Yeah, I don't think it'll happen. Matt has always said he's open to it, but he wants to go into the project assured that the story and film will be good, as well as with a guarantee that Greengrass will be in the director's chair. I respect that both Matt and Paul aren't going back to the franchise just to cash in, and respect the fans and state of the film series that they want to do justice to.

As for the next Cross-centric Bourne film, I really don't care at this point. I wouldn't mind if another never came along. Cross just isn't that interesting to me, and completely forgettable when compared to Bourne. With Bourne you could not only relate to his crazy identity crisis, but he was also the genuine article and had natural skills of survival. With Cross, he has to take stupid pills to get the kinds of survival instincts Bourne has naturally, and that just makes him that much more of a weaker character. Without those pills, he'd be dead in seconds whereas Bourne has spent three whole films surviving by nothing but his wits. Anyway, I digress...
  • Yeah, I don't think it'll happen.

As for the next Cross-centric Bourne film, I really don't care at this point. I wouldn't mind if another never came along. Cross just isn't that interesting to me, and completely forgettable when compared to Bourne. With Bourne you could not only relate to his crazy identity crisis, but he was also the genuine article and had natural skills of survival. With Cross, he has to take stupid pills to get the kinds of survival instincts Bourne has naturally, and that just makes him that much more of a weaker character. Without those pills, he'd be dead in seconds whereas Bourne has spent three whole films surviving by nothing but his wits. Anyway, I digress...

A scary truth about many students in the better schools around the U.S. is that they are taking ADHD drugs to give them Jason Bounre/Cross-like skills for studying.
    Yeah, I don't think it'll happen.

A scary truth about many students in the better schools around the U.S. is that they are taking ADHD drugs to give them Jason Bounre/Cross-like skills for studying.

What does that have to do with anything we are discussing?
    Maybe it was after watching Elysium last night but I've discovered I'm not all that fond of Matt Damon. He's ok in the Bourne films, but I've never really found him a particularly likeable/engaging leading man.
    I think he was likable in the Ocean movies and did something really different in The Informant! He makes that movie work. He's not playing Matt Damon in that one.
    My favorite film of his hands down is Good Will Hunting. One of the films I would call a masterpiece.