George Lucas: You Suck!!

j7wildj7wild Suspended
edited September 2011 in General Movies & TV Posts: 823

I don't remember Vader ever said anything when he picked up the Emperor

I've seen ROTJ at least a couple of dozen times at the theater and on VHS and my memory is not going yet

oh, and the Ewoks now blinks too!!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20100085-1/lucasfilm-changes-original-star-wars-trilogy-again/

I am still looking of the original theatrical releases to be released on DVD UNALTERED - in the correct video format from the original Theatrical Print - not the non-anamorphic widescreen video that was released in 2008 on DVD!

Damn you Georgie!!

As a retailer, I know people will buy this regardless so I have no choice but to stock it but at the same time,

as a Star Wars fan who seen the original Trilogy more times at the movie theater and on VHS than some of the people here;

I should Boycott George Lucas and Lucasfilm and not stock the Blu-Ray at all!!

Comments

It took you think long to realise that Lucas has been meddling with the Original Trilogy? What rock have you been living under?
  • There must be people out there who have never seen any of the original three releases from 1977-83 never mind any of the remakes they did years later.

Is that allowed

:-S
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    It took you think long to realise that Lucas has been meddling with the Original Trilogy? What rock have you been living under?
    no, I know he's been meddling with it even since the first time the original trilogy was released on VHS back in the 80s.

Then he keep releasing them under different packaging on VHS and DVD so people will buy them over and over.

There are so many different Star Wars (original trilogy) at my stores including VHS from 10-13 years ago that never sold.

Lucas just can't leave well enough alone - the Special Edition was cool but he should have had 2 versions of the original trilogy:

the unaltered version exactly the same as it was in the original theatrical release and the special edition and that's it!!

we had a discussion about this at a movie forum I go to and this was said back in January 2011:

The original first release VHS of Star Wars is not identical to the original theatrical release in at least four ways that I'm aware of:

1) The 20th Century Fox Fanfare at the start has a "Twentieth Century Fox Video Presents" voiceover put over it for some stupid reason. That's on the original UK rental tape.

2) The addition of the onscreen subtitle, Episode IV A New Hope; This subtitle was not present in the 77 original theatrical release of Star Wars, though it was present in the theatrical re-release of the film prior to the original video release.

3) As far as I'm aware, there's a different sound mix used in the VHS version from the one originally used in cinemas.

4) The first video release was obviously in pan-and-scan, not widescreen. The opening titles are vertically stretched to avoid using the black widescreen bars at the top and bottom of the 4:3 TV image.

5) Not sure whether or not the Greedo scene has the original burnt-in subtitles from the theatrical version. I'll check that next time I watch it. I've a very old TV recording which has the burnt-in ones though, so they weren't completely jettisoned from existence.

There's also the odd debate over small "alterations", some of them perhaps to do with the different sound mixes, such as the stormtrooper saying "Close the blast door" on some versions but not on others.

For the original Empire VHS, only numbers 4 and possibly 3 from the above apply. For Jedi, again only 4 and possibly 3, but with also a lack of burnt-in subtitles for the Jabba scenes.

Don't buy the newer versions then.........GL won't care he a;ready has enough dough in his bankaccount.

Every release made a shedload of money so why should the studios not continue. Were I in charge I would probably do so too businesswise. Do I mind..........not really.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    This is to be expected, Lucas yet again releases something with multiple edits that no fan would ever want. Skip.
    Maybe they should put t' good ole Georgie in one of these ;

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    If these new BD changes aren't bad enough I bet we'll get more next year with the first 3D re-release. And then they'll be on BD.

It will never end.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    I used to have a lot of respect and admiration for Lucas but now, over the last 20 years, I think he has become greedy and arrogant!

His Star Wars movies are the biggest double, triple, quadruple, quintuple, etc etc wallet dipping series ever in home video retail history!!

Even his buddy Steven Spielberg doesn't act like he does or make changes to his movies.

I am trying to remember if Spielberg made any changes to the Back To The Future films on DVD but I don't think he did!!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Lucas can do anything he wants. I owe the man so much fun, he's welcome to keep working on Star Wars like an unfinished product.

And someone needs to cool down... ;;)
    If there has ever been a man who has made a worldwide fool of himself its George Lucas.

He was feted for the original trilogy and they were classics. Such was their popularity that we didnt bat an eyelid on the cgi enhanced rerelease and welcomed the next three films of the trilogy.

While all this adulation was going on GL forgot to direct, he lost his ability to write, work with actors and script a good film. He was far more interested in the technical mechanics of cgi then anything else. And it showed. Possibly three of the worst films in the last twenty years.

So of course he has gone to his original trilogy. Has he made anything else? Nope. He got lazy and complacent.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    and he still owes us another Star Wars trilogy which I don't much care if he makes them or not... 20 years ago, sure!
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 1,497
    but he should have had 2 versions of the original trilogy:

the unaltered version exactly the same as it was in the original theatrical release and the special edition and that's it!!

The prequels were an absolute travesty and the "Special Editions" wreak of the meddling that was done to the series by the prequels. George Lucas needs to stop doodling and release the movies as they should: HiDef remasters of the ORIGINAL THEATRICAL RELEASES. As far as I'm concerned there were only 3 true SW movies released and they were in: 1977, 1980 and 1983.

If EON started mucking about with FRWL, TB and OHMSS, throwing in new CG to "enhance" the original films I'm sure you all would be up in arms.

• j7wildj7wild Suspended
    but he should have had 2 versions of the original trilogy:

The prequels were an absolute travesty and the "Special Editions" wreak of the meddling that was done to the series by the prequels. George Lucas needs to stop doodling and release the movies as they should: HiDef remasters of the ORIGINAL THEATRICAL RELEASES. As far as I'm concerned there were only 3 true SW movies released and they were in: 1977, 1980 and 1983.

If EON started mucking about with FRWL, TB and OHMSS, throwing in new CG to "enhance" the original films I'm sure you all would be up in arms.

that's a good idea;

let's spend a few $100k and improve the explosion of Dr. No's Crab Key secret hideout!!

that's a good idea;

let's spend a few $100k and improve the explosion of Dr. No's Crab Key secret hideout!!
    I'm using this emoticon a lot today :L :L
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Even his buddy Steven Spielberg doesn't act like he does or make changes to his movies.
    Spielberg has 'CGI-edited' 'E.T.' recently.
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    And there are different special editions of Close Encounters. It's only a matter of time before we get a cgi shark in Jaws.

Well, the high def rendering of Jaws was bad enough already. It's too clean and too sterile in that form. That's not how Jaws was meant to be seen. I'm very sensitive to this. When older films are cleaned up to the extreme, they lose their charm, the cinematography loses much of its meaning and the overall feeling of the represented era gets lost as well.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    One great re-mastered/re-stored film is 'Battleship Potemkin' which was released recently.
    So is Metropolis. I shouldn't have overgeneralised. I'm mostly referring to films post 1960. ;;)
  • SharkShark Banned
    "When people ask me which E.T. they should look at, I always tell them to look at the original 1982 E.T. If you notice, when we did put out E.T. we put out two E.T.s. We put out the digitally enhanced version with the additional scenes and for no extra money, in the same package, we put out the original ‘82 version. I always tell people to go back to the ’82 version."
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49897
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    "When people ask me which E.T. they should look at, I always tell them to look at the original 1982 E.T. If you notice, when we did put out E.T. we put out two E.T.s. We put out the digitally enhanced version with the additional scenes and for no extra money, in the same package, we put out the original ‘82 version. I always tell people to go back to the ’82 version."
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49897
    Steven has more sense than George!

#:-s
    Another major difference in the different editions is in The Empire Strikes Back when Luke lets himself fall off the weather vane. In the Special Edition 1997 VHS, he does this wierd yell as he falls, but it was cut out in the 2004 DVD. When I noticed this, I was so confused! Where is Luke's yell?!
    Random Fact

Walt Disney planed fantasia to be able to change segments and then be re-released.

Any how

I like what dr. who dose for there old episodes and makes CGI effects OPTIONAL
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The fact that Lucas has lost his luster, if he had any to begin with, is quite crystal clear to see. Look at what the idiot did to Indiana Jones!!! Why did you do it Spielberg! Why? You said you didn't want anything to do with it but you gave into it like a magpie to a shiny goblet! Here is what hurts about Indiana Jones 4: Lucas didn't care if it remained true to the other 3! He wanted money, or to screw over the franchise(he likes to do that) and had not an inkling of originality or creativity involved. I've seen five year olds write more compelling stories. And Spielberg didn't help in the slightest. He gave in to Lucas's garbage demands and didn't go into it wanting to make the 4th film bigger or better than the others. Now that is a losing formula if I ever saw one. Thanks for tarnishing the series guys! If any of you want clear evidence as to the fall of Indiana Jones 4, watch the embedded video and get behind the scenes access to one of the biggest cluster@#$%s in the history of cinema.
    I actually really liked Indiana Jones 4. Up to the point where the aliens are seen onscreen, the movie is compelling, original, and entertaining.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    I thought IJ4 was terrible - considering we waited 19 years for a sequel!!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Indeed @j7wild. It's weird to agree with you, but you are right.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    edited September 2011 Posts: 823

The original script by Frank Darabont that Lucas rejected was much better and closer to the series

http://io9.com/5016367/unfilmed-indy-4-script-has-23-percent-more-awesomeness

http://www.theraider.net/films/indy4/multimedia/cityofthegods.pdf

and there's NO MUTT in it!!
    edited September 2011 Posts: 28,694
    The movie probably still would have sucked.
This discussion has been closed.