Movies you thought you'd hate but ended up loving

QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
edited April 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,812
Have you ever seen a movie trailer and thought that it looked really bad? Have you ever ended up really enjoying that movie? If yes, what were they?

For me it is...

The Last Samurai I remember seeing the trailer in theaters and thought, "Really?!?! Another movie about a white man joining another culture and saving it. Way to go Hollywood." Then I was dragged to see it in theaters by my cousin and I loved it so much! The story, drama, action, romance, acting, and musical score by Hans Zimmer was all beautifully done. It's possibly my favorite movie of all time! I owned it on DVD and now own it on Blu-ray.

Napoleon Dynamite I thought this movie looked dumb and only a young child would enjoy it. I caught it on TV one day and had many good laughs from it. I don't own it, nor do I plan to, but I do quote it every so often.

Scott Pilgrim VS The World Just like Napoleon Dynamite I thought it looked like a movie only a kid would like and I was wrong. I rented it one day because I had couldn't find anything else to pick up at the rental store. I had a blast watching it and really enjoyed it's art style. I own this one on blu-ray.

Tron: Legacy I hated the first film (even though I haven't seen it from beginning to end) and when I heard they were making a sequel I didn't care to follow anything about it. When it came out on DVD my cousin rented it and we watched it together. I was sucked in from the opening credits to the end credits. I couldn't believe how much better the movie was compared to the first. I don't own it but I plan on picking it up on blu-ray someday.

Pacific Rim I grew up watching Godzilla so I'm use to the giant monster films but when I saw a preview for Pacific Rim I just shook my head. It looked like they were trying to ride on the success of the Transformers trilogy. Being a fan of Guillermo Del Toro, and after hearing good things, I decided to give it a shot and rented it on DVD. I had a lot of fun with this film. It had great action, better than any Godzilla film, and the visuals were amazing. I was sad that I missed the opportunity to see it on the big screen, I won't make that mistake for the confirmed sequel! I own this one on blu-ray.

Comments

The Great Gatsby (2013), Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007), Batman Begins (2005) are the best examples I can think of for myself.
    Star Trek I was never a Trek guy. I was dragged to see this in 2009 by a few friends who were really looking forward to it. And then I watched it. I still consider it one of the most well made, best paced films of the last few years. It was one of those films that I really liked when I first saw it, but when I watched it again later that year, I fell in love with it. Also really loved Into Darkness, but I was expecting to that time.

Gravity I'm sorry but the trailers for this movie were just really stupid in my opinion. But the movie itself was great.

Iron Man Keep in mind, this was back when Marvel didn't have a great track record. All I saw was a generic trailer about a character I wasn't that familiar with, a leading actor who seemed washed up, and directed by the guy who did Elf. Of course we all know how this one turned out. It was still my favorite MCU film until Cap 2 came out. But the first Iron Man film is still an amazing achievement.

The Wolverine So I'm a huge fan of the X Men film series. I even like X3 more than most people. Obviously the first Wolverine film was a big letdown but I had loved First Class and can't wait for Days of Future Past. But when the trailers for The Wolverine came out, I thought "meh". I knew it would be better than Origins but it didn't wow me like the First Class trailer did. But man did I love this film. The setting felt fresh and the action and story were great. One of my favorite films of last year.
    I thought I'll never liked Star Trek. Nevertheless, I wanted to see the ones from J.J. Abrams to get a notion of what could happen to Star Wars. But first I saw some of the older ones. At the end, I did like a lot Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home and First Contact (The Search for Spock more or less). And the surprise was that I didn't like the ones from Abrams!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Terminator: Salvation, Total Recall (2012)
    Thor - it was surprisingly entertaining.
    Bad Teacher. Not that it was any good, in fact it was a terrible movie, but I enjoyed its amorality. And having worked in a school, I was glad someone took a jab at the working place.
  • Now You See Me - Not that good, but better than i expected.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    I remember being dragged to the theater to see X-Men: First Class. I knew some things about the X-Men, but not much. I had not seen any of the other films. I had no interest what so ever to see it. But, it turned out to be the most surprisingly good movie experiences I've had. After I saw it I had to go get all the other films in the series.
    Re-Animator. As a Lovecraft fan I'm very skeptical about the movie adaptations of his work. This one was not very faithful, but it was funny, inventive and deliciously gory.
    The main one for me is Rocky Balboa. Stallone is in his 60s and after the mess that Rocky V was, I was pretty sure it'd be shit. But I loved it. I thought it was a fantastic film and the best of the sequels.

Also, I didn't love it but I liked Hangover 3, I thought it was much better than the second one, which surprised me because the critics slated it.
    My name is Sarah, one of those typical movies and books my wife prefers, I saw it with her as a compromise between spouses and to be honest that movie is actually quite impressive and raises some serious questions.

The English Patient, as a movie about war, love and responsibility it was time well spend. I saw it in the cinema with the girlfriend of a friend, he did not want to go so I went and the movie was far better than I expected.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I thought I would not like the Ace Ventura films, but I did. First time I discovered the comedy genius of Jim Carrey, bless him.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Midnight in Paris. My daughter brought it home; I knew nothing about it. I saw that Owen Wilson was the star and I was expecting more of the same from him. That was not the case and I ended up loving it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited April 2014 Posts: 23,447
    Star Wars
    Ok, this no doubt surprises many people but please let me explain. ;-)
    At age six or seven I accidentally saw a scene with Chewie and my child brain told me that's a stupid creature. Add to that the power of mother, telling me - quote - Star Wars isn't good - unquote.
    But Fate decided something else. A few years later a school buddy told me how good Star Wars is. And with the power of peers overtaking mother's, I gave Star Wars a reluctant try. Let's say that reluctance faded away into eternal oblivion after a few microseconds. I'm a huge SW fan today. (Check my user name. ;-))
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Star Wars
    Ok, this no doubt surprises many people but please let me explain. ;-)
    At age six or seven I accidentally saw a scene with Chewie and my child brain told me that's a stupid creature. Add to that the power of mother, telling me - quote - Star Wars isn't good - unquote.
    But Fate decided something else. A few years later a school buddy told me how good Star Wars is. And with the power of peers overtaking mother's, I gave Star Wars a reluctant try. Let's say that reluctance faded away into eternal oblivion after a few microseconds. I'm a huge SW fan today. (Check my user name. ;-))

Interesting. It may have happened to me in the past, with other franchises, just trying to remember such similar situation.
    That would be the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
    Never read the books, wasn't interested in the slightest to see the 1st installment.
    My wife took me with friends to the premiere, went as a favor to satisfy her, and was hooked ever since.
  • Faster - if you're going to watch a popcorn action movie, watch this one. It totally had me from start to finish loved it.

Frozen - a Disney film I really enjoyed, you will as well.

3:10 TO Yuma (2007) - Okay a two big names to start off with but big names don't make a good film that any person with a single brain cell would enjoy - see The Last Samurai.

However this film was full of class, from the awesome and most watchable bad guy to Bale's impoverished war Veteran - to the one of the best last 15 mins of any movie you will ever see. Action packed, full of character and brilliant two leads. Watch this film today. A true modern classic in my book.

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Demolition Man 1993

Thought it was going to be the usual brainless action flick. Turned out as well as having great action, it was clever, funny and satirical.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The first two that pop into my mind are:
    1: The Last Samurai- Like the OP I too thought it was another Dances With Wolves clone, so I didn't bother seeing it in the theatre, I later rented it on VHS and found that wow, I did not hate it! That was around 2004. I *just* got the Blu Ray, and now I find it is one of my all time favourite flicks.
    2: Quantum Of Solace- Again I skipped it theatrically and later rented it. Didn't like it too much. Years later (and after I joined here) I purchased a used DVD and found that I actually quite enjoyed it. Now I have the Blu Ray & it's in my top 10 Bonds!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Since I already expect to not enjoy comic book movies, I couldn't believe how much I truly enjoyed 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier.' Thankfully, that was one I paid to see in theaters. Seems most people are in agreement that this is one of the best comic book movies out there.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Todo sobre mi madre (1999)

Robocop (1987)

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)

Titanic (1997)

Alexander (2004)

Body Double (1984)

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004)

El orfanato (2007)
    Sweeney Todd, yes. Same here. Fantastic film.
    Zootopia (2016). Didn't really like the advertising, but the movie was a slam-dunk for me; one of Disney's best in years.

The Godfather, Part III (1990). Godfather 1 and 2 are two of my favorite films ever, and I heard mostly just bad things about Part III before I watched. I figured it would be a bad case of threequel curse. While it is indeed inferior, by a wide margin, I still really enjoy the film - especially the movie's second half. Very fitting ending as well to the trilogy at the very end.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015). I just rolled my eyes when I heard there'd be a Star Wars 7. While it didn't completely blow me away, I have to say Force Awakens is a solid film and worthy of the Star Wars label. Enjoyed it more the second watch especially.

Demolition Man 1993

Thought it was going to be the usual brainless action flick. Turned out as well as having great action, it was clever, funny and satirical.

After reading Brave New World you see that film in a different light.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Stranger Than Fiction

I wasn't expecting to like it at all, but it was actually a really good movie. Although the film has touches of humor, it's more serious than most of what Will Ferrell does. He is a better serious actor than a comedic one.
    Whiplash

It looked and sounded like a real slog to sit through.

Turned out to be one of the most riveting films of last year. I didn't want it to end!
    Whiplash

Turned out to be one of the most riveting films of last year. I didn't want it to end!

I had a very similar thing with Whiplash. Whilst I knew the reviews were great the description sounded really dull, but what a film, so good. Like a thriller but about drumming!
    Whiplash

I had a very similar thing with Whiplash. Whilst I knew the reviews were great the description sounded really dull, but what a film, so good. Like a thriller but about drumming!

Yep. It's definitely a hard sell looking at the films synopsis.

I was only pushed to see it after reading so many great reviews.
    In a word? Avatar!
    Maleficent. Outstanding cinematography, moving story and Angelina Jolie may do her best role ever.