Happy Saint George's Day !! (23rd April)

edited April 2018 in General Discussion Posts: 19,339
Happy Saint George's Day to all my fellow English members :

And from these two gentlemen as well :

2012Bond3PA8668344191012.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLoA685En3qmWxMsmOOFhb3TSz0Ow9z3KlK50fnDoXkllxJpqP_g

Comments

Surely this is more appropriate:

saint_halo1.jpg

Bond_-_George_Lazenby_-_Profile.jpg

;-)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    And special congrats to our own @St.George, of course, if he's still around..
    A day criminally neglected in England .

saint_halo1.jpg

;-)

Lazenby is Australian you Wally,Willy...delete him or feel the wrath of a proud Englishman !!

Ludovico wrote:

A lot of people are working on trying for the public holiday,including me !!

barryt007 wrote:

saint_halo1.jpg

;-)

Lazenby is Australian you Wally,Willy...delete him or feel the wrath of a proud Englishman !!

But it's Saint George! :D
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    st_georges_cross.jpg

A very happy St.Georges day to my fellow Englishmen. A day that should be observed more methinks.
    @willygalore ~X( ~X(

barryt007 wrote:
    @willygalore ~X( ~X(

Glad I can be of assistance. :D
    barryt007 wrote:
    @willygalore ~X( ~X(

Glad I can be of assistance. :D

Little toerag ;)

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Might as well salute our chums across the boarder...

Pork-Pies-001.jpg

Logo_British_Leyland.jpg

MBDKIFO-EC045.jpg
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Have a good day, all my fellow countryman!
    barryt007 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

A lot of people are working on trying for the public holiday,including me !!

Certainly should be a National Bank Holiday! The Irish certainly have the right idea when it comes to St Patrick's Day!

Happy St George's Day to all of England!
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    http://forums.theregister.co.uk/post/207139
    Worth a read today of all days. Enjoy.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Have a good day, all my fellow countryman!

Well I knew there was a lot of import, but shouldn't be that countrymen? Or are you and the other the one and only original English alive? ;-)
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Today is also William Shakespeare's 450th Birthday.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Wasn t St George the one who slayed the wicked Dragonpol? Happy George, English friends!
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 14,799
    Mrcoggins wrote:

I was about to mention it. I will see in a week time King Lear directed by... Sam Mendes. My way to commemorate.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote:
    Mrcoggins wrote:

I was about to mention it. I will see in a week time King Lear directed by... Sam Mendes. My way to commemorate.

Strangely it was also the date on which Shakespeare died too.
    Wasn't there a user called SaintGeorge or something ? What happened with him ?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Happy @St_George day. :-bd
    dragonsky wrote:
    Wasn't there a user called SaintGeorge or something ? What happened with him ?

Yes there was..... a man with many talents, especially one for making a bondgirl advent calendar every year, a man of wit and humour, of style and class. What happened? we don't know, but I do wish he's return here soon! Perhaps @Retrokitty knows more, but I haven't seen her for some time now.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 19,339
    They've both gone now...i occassionally bump into @dublonothing on Twitter,and very rarely @StGeorge.Not for a while now though.

As for @Retrokitty and @Daniel ..they have disappeared..same with @M007RE .
    barryt007 wrote:
    They've both gone now...i occassionally bump into @dublonothing on Twitter,and very rarely @StGeorge.Not for a while now though.

As for @Retrokitty and @Daniel ..they have disappeared..same with @M007RE .

Ah that's a pity. And @RussianMummy as well I suppose. @Dusty? I feel old now.. not only because of my birthday..
    Is it your birthday today ?
    Well this day in the English calendar is fast approaching,and once more it is STILL not a holiday in England.

To make things worse,it falls on a Monday this year,so it would have made a brilliant long weekend !!!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    English pubs can get extended licences for St Patrick's Day, but not St Georges day.

Typical that the English are embarrassed to admit to their identity. I remember when it was Shakespeare's 400th anniversary and we more or less ignored it. But when it's Robbie Burns birthday - oo wee. Let's get the bunting out.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    This thread should be closed for being racist.

Celebrating being English? Disgusting and about time it was outlawed frankly.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    And "Saint" George? Religious indoctrination of the worst kind, isn't it, Wiz?
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    And "Saint" George? Religious indoctrination of the worst kind, isn't it, Wiz?

Most Saint's days and religious holidays are revanped, sometimes barely modified, Pagan holidays. If a woman wears raunchy red lingerie on Valentine's Day, it's not to convert her boyfriend or husband to Catholicism.

Beside St George's Day is a national day celebrating English people, not a fictitious saint who killed a dragon. Just like International Translators' Day is on the 30th of September, which coincides with the Feast of St Jerome, patron of translators (as he translated the Bible from Hebrew). Sometimes religious traditions become secularised.