James Bond Build-a-DB5 partworks

edited March 2011 in Merchandise Posts: 36
This didn't become as popular as the car collection thread on the old forum, but it is something that at least a few of us are collecting. I for one love the collection, and although it's £600, but this is spread over a year and a half, and give you a model that will be worth so much more when complete.

I'm up to issue 11 at the moment, and already have the engine and driver's seat built. When you see the complete engine in front of you, and see it's bigger than your Corgi DB5, you really get a true sense of how big this thing will be. I also like the details they've incorporated, like the headlights working, the brake lights turning on when you press the brake pedal, the engine and horn making a sound, and the ejector seat working when the little red button is pressed.

I will be tracking my build with pictures, so I'll post some when I get the chance.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I too am collecting this. Allthough, at this point, i've not yet put together any of the parts.
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    Anyone still collecting this? I noticed today my local newsagents had about ten different back issues reduced to £2.99 each. Some of the attached parts looked *very* tiny!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'm still collecting. I agree on the parts ratio, they could have easily have put more parts per issue, ergo less issues. One that front, it's a bit of a con, but I just keeping thinking about what the finished model will look like.
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    What's the quality of the magazine like? I bought the first three issues when they came out and the mag appeared interesting.
  • Still going with it. And I agree that certain issues that come with very few parts ie. the issues that come with only a tyre, are not worth £7. But in the end, the overall model will be worth £600. As long as the magazines are still as good as ever, which they certainly look to be (although I really need to give them a thorough read at some point), then I don't have a problem.

They have obviously had to draw out the collection enough to make their money, but they've made no secret about that, even listing the parts you will receive each issue. Some issues will be worth more than the £7, like the big parts of the frame, floor etc., some will inevitably be less.
    These things are a dime a dozen in Australia. They usually last about six issues before being discontinued.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    They just launched Down Under. Let us know if you see it disappear.
    Well, I don't regularly go into newsagencies to check up on this stuff, but it's produced by a company that has done it in the past. A few years ago, they have one where you could build a remote-control model of a Subaru Impreza WRC. It lasted about six issues before being pulled.
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,882
    With the floor plan now in my possesion, I started building the DB5. A warning to anyone who is yet to do so, be very very very carefull when handling the pedal box, due to the wires being soldered with low-grade fairy dust, they come away quite easily as mine have done.
    You have to be a bit careful where kits are concerned; just because the model cost £600 to buy in instalments, doesn't mean that it is 'worth' £600 or has a resale value of that amount. Completed construction kits, even the most skilfully made ones, sell for only a fraction of mint, unboxed kits. And the value of a finished DB5 would also depend on quality, based on the skill of the person who put it together.
    Oh I did handle it with care. But if i'm expected to pay £600 for something, it would be nice if it could stand a breath and not fall appart.
  • Has anyone completed this? Do you think it was worth the money? How good is the content of the magazine?
    We've only just had issue #69 last week, so we've still got about 15 more to go before anyone can complete their model. I've not paid much attention to the content of the magazine other than the section dealing with the parts/instructions.
  • We've only just had issue #69 last week, so we've still got about 15 more to go before anyone can complete their model. I've not paid much attention to the content of the magazine other than the section dealing with the parts/instructions.

Are you glad you subscribed? Has it been fun building it?

edited May 2012 Posts: 13,882
    It's been ok, i'll put it that way. Some of the issues have ben rediculously sparse in terms of the number of parts included. #69 was the rear lights, housing and cables. Reading that, it may sound like much, but when you're looking at the part in the package, it's obvious how they've tried to stretch it across 85 issues. They could have easily culled 5 issues (possibly more) by adding more parts per issue.
  • You don't recommend then?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,350
    The back issues would cost an arm and a leg now, I'm sure. I don't think it would be worth it. The collection will end in August, so maybe see what it looks like in full and then decide whether to buy it.
  • According to the website you can still subscribe (http://www.007db5.com/) do they do a cheaper 'per issue' cost for subscribers than back-issues then? (I guess its just the P&P thats cheaper).
    near the end now 2 issues to go and i have built it up as went along looking good cant wait to finish it off. magazines are very good also plenty of info on the cars as well as the making of the films. hope they do the lotus esprit next i would buy it.........
    Lower the issue count, and put more parts per issue and then i'd consider the next Bond partworks.

Did anyone get the 2nd screw identificaton sheet? I know I can get it of the site, but I only recieved the first sheet.
  • mike007 wrote:
    near the end now 2 issues to go and i have built it up as went along looking good cant wait to finish it off. magazines are very good also plenty of info on the cars as well as the making of the films. hope they do the lotus esprit next i would buy it.........

So how much did it you set you back in the end? Seemed to me a lot of money for this magazine collection. Would be good if you could upload a pic once you're completed.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    When should the final issues arrive? I bet it feels good to nearly have the beast of a car completed.
    Sounds like it is a quality (if expensive) model especially as it is the great db5.
    I built a ferrari f1 car 1:12 kit which needed painting years ago and it turned out great even though it was very time consuming.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    When should the final issues arrive? I bet it feels good to nearly have the beast of a car completed.

This week will see issue 84 published, so the last issue will come next week.
    [

So how much did it you set you back in the end? Seemed to me a lot of money for this magazine collection. Would be good if you could upload a pic once you're completed.[/quote]

got it weekly from a newsagent as i couldn't be bothered waiting four weeks to get pieces so it worked out at £6.99 per week x 85 weeks = £594.15 . will get some pics when im finished.
  • mike007 wrote:
    [

So how much did it you set you back in the end? Seemed to me a lot of money for this magazine collection. Would be good if you could upload a pic once you're completed.

got it weekly from a newsagent as i couldn't be bothered waiting four weeks to get pieces so it worked out at £6.99 per week x 85 weeks = £594.15 . will get some pics when im finished.[/quote]

Wow that's a lot of dough. Still, collecting Bond, it's worth it. Especially build your own, I guess a real labour of love! I wanted to collect but I have spent a small fortune already on Bond and Bond Aston Martin DB5's! Look forward to seeing the photos.
    i have to say hats off for everyone who has seen this series through to the end! i just could not have justified the expense seeing as i am doing the car collection at £7.99 an issue.

Looking forward to seeing the finished article though! :-bd
    have to say its worth every penny and not to bad when buying it weekly , they have brought out a display stand at £40.00 but i can make one much cheaper and they have also added an optional extra magazine which comes with a car cover think i will buy it looks good.
    i have collected my last magazine now time for the big build.buzzing like a buzzy thing.
    Anybody else having serious problems fitting the front end ? Seems to screw in on one side then you realise that the other side is pressing against the windscreen and pushing it out of position.