Skyfall Considered the Most Overated film of all.

edited April 2014 in News Posts: 140

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    We have plenty of other Skyfall threads; probably good to post it on one of those; thanks.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 11,189
    See Instead: The Living Daylights.

I did funnily enough...last night. Its good, but parts of it do drag and Glenn's direction still has a slightly bland feel.

Decent movie, but Skyfall is still better!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Thanks for the link @Grant but I couldn't disagree more with that list. There is only one film there that I say it's overrated (Million Dollar Girl) and I can't comment on a couple since I haven't watched them but others in that list are some of my favourites ever (The Departed? Inception?). It's just another guy with an opinion (and he's entitled to one, just as anybody else) who happens to have a column in a big newspaper.

Note: Looking at his past reviews I was surprised to see that he waited until December 2913 to make a review of QoS (4*). I agree it's good but in no way better than SF and it did made me wonder even more about this guy...
    I realised how laughable that list was once I scrolled down to Inception.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Well, if there's one right thing on that article, it's See instead: The Living Daylights
    Daylights is good but it's still kind of...meh sometimes. Skyfall has stronger performances, better cinematography, better supporting characters and better direction...and a better opening song.

Daylights is a firm mid-table entry for me.
    A critic who wants to be controversial by picking on some great movies and throw in some newer ones for the younger audience that are bound to react,

the bloody nincompoop.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I guess this was to be expected. Now people are going to go overboard the other way and claim that Skyfall is rubbish. It will all balance out eventually.
    Why can't people just shut up and accept that some movies are just well liked?
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 11,425
    I don't think this article is saying Skyfall is 'rubbish'. It's about films being overrated. A film can be decent enough, but not as good as the critics make out. It's exactly what I've been saying about SF since day one - that it was massively, inexplicably overhyped by the critics.

Interesting that he describes it as 'a fraught salvage job'. This is exactly how it felt to me - Mendes desperately trying to make the best of a pretty sketchy script and poor plotting. This is one reason I'm more optimistic about the next movie, as I think Logan and Mendes's involvement from day one should help ensure more consistency.

I agree with pretty much everything the article says regarding SF - particularly the nod to TLD, of course! ;)
    Why am I not surprised to see you on this thread @Getafix.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Getafix wrote:
    I don't think this article is saying Skyfall is 'rubbish'. It's about films being overrated. A film can be decent enough, but not as good as the critics make out. It's exactly what I've been saying about SF since day one - that it was massively, inexplicably overhyped by the critics.

Interesting that he describes it as 'a fraught salvage job'. This is exactly how it felt to me - Mendes desperately trying to make the best of a pretty sketchy script and poor plotting. This is one reason I'm more optimistic about the next movie, as I think Logan and Mendes's involvement from day one should help ensure more consistency.

I agree with pretty much everything the article says regarding SF - particularly the nod to TLD, of course! ;)

I tend to agree with you. I must admit, that I was left somewhat deflated with my first viewing of Skyfall. I think that TLD is a much better release, and I would take it over SF anyday.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    edited April 2014 Posts: 432
    I don't like calling films overrated. Either way it's all just opinions. Everyone has their own reason.

I personally enjoy SF the most out of the Bond series. TLD is of course also a great one, but they are both different and good in their own way.
    Question is, WHAT IS overrated? I would think, its a film, which doesn't live up to the hype it got upfront. Means good opening weekend and then it fals flat. But when a film is going strong for WEEKS and MONTHS, making over a billion, it apparantly met the nerve of the cinema going audience. Because since WHEN does an audience REALLY rely on the critics. So IMO overrated is, when critics love it, but audiences fail to show up due to bad word of mouth.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    Germanlady wrote:
    Question is, WHAT IS overrated? I would think, its a film, which doesn't live up to the hype it got upfront. Means good opening weekend and then it fals flat. But when a film is going strong for WEEKS and MONTHS, making over a billion, it apparantly met the nerve of the cinema going audience. Because since WHEN does an audience REALLY rely on the critics. So IMO overrated is, when critics love it, but audiences fail to show up due to bad word of mouth.

I agree. Let's not forget why films are made.
    It's all about whether you ENJOY the film ultimately. I've learned that with the likes of Bond (not exactly a heavyweight series) plotting and script doesn't HAVE to be top notch. If the acting and direction is decent enough that can make up for narrative shortcomings.

I've always really enjoyed SF. Craig, Dench, Feinnes and Bardem give the film more gravitas and Mendes does keep a degree of suspense going. While I can see why some may say its overrated I think there's more strong stuff than weaker stuff onscreen.

As strong as some scenes are in TLD I can't help but find the story of SF more compelling overall. To be honest I find parts of TLD a bit...boring. I say PARTS.
    I think From Russia with Love is the most overrated Bond film; Skyfall has seemed to have gathered its share of flack over the last year or so.
    I've also realised that for most popular Bond films there seems to be a vocal group that like to bang on about how overrated it is ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It has overtaken Goldfinger as the film that I consider to be the most overrated overpraised in the series. Skyfall, that is.

And Bain, you do watch The Living Daylights a lot. Are you sure that you aren't a closet fan? ;)
    FoxRox wrote:
    I think From Russia with Love is the most overrated Bond film; Skyfall has seemed to have gathered its share of flack over the last year or so.

Ow !!!!

Compared to GF it's not !!

• edited April 2014 Posts: 11,425
    I think a lot of people who would not normally watch Bond went to see the movie because of the rave reviews. Only time will tell whether it retains the same high critical acclaim that it had back in 2012. Articles like this are one sign that some people think the initial praise was a bit (a lot?) OTT.
    Do I mention TLD a lot? Haha. The last time I saw it properly was last year on the Sky Bond channel. I've seen bits and pieces of it since (as I've done with a lot of the films) but last night I stuck it on and watched it all.

I do like to dip in and out of Bond films, but I know without hesitation which film I "watch a lot" hehe.
    barryt007 wrote:
    FoxRox wrote:

Ow !!!!

GF is not overrated anymore; in case you haven't noticed tons of fans don't like it as much anymore.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 19,339
    FoxRox wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:
    FoxRox wrote:

Ow !!!!

GF is not overrated anymore; in case you haven't noticed tons of fans don't like it as much anymore.

And tons still do,looking at the film lists by members here,word of mouth, and on other sites.
    I don't see it high up anymore. Besides, the criticisms it draws are not entirely fair; it's still a great Bond film IMO. Everyone ignores the faults of FRWL and usually crown it the best Bond film.
    hahaha like me you mean ?
    Dont get me wrong,i love all the Bond films,its just Bond does Jack shit in the film for most of it.

With the exception of the DB5 chase and the golf match it should/could have been a lot better.
    barryt007 wrote:
    hahaha like me you mean ?
    Dont get me wrong,i love all the Bond films,its just Bond does Jack shit in the film for most of it.

With the exception of the DB5 chase and the golf match it should/could have been a lot better.

I've said this before, but again, Bond isn't even in prison for half the movie - and even when he is, he tries to do stuff. His accomplishments in GF include bombing that hideout in the PTS, beating Goldfinger in golf (and taking his girl), foiling Goldfinger's plans at Fort Knox (sure he didn't disable the bomb but if it wasn't for him then the rest wouldn't have known about it), and killing Oddjob (and indirectly Goldfinger). Not too shabby if you ask me.
    and if he hadnt 'miraculously turned' Pussy Galore after 5 mins in a shed,what would the outcome have been ?
    barryt007 wrote:
    and if he hadnt 'miraculously turned' Pussy Galore after 5 mins in a shed,what would the outcome have been ?

Goldfinger succeeding? Obviously? And besides he's Bond; do you need further explanation of his mystic charm?
    barryt007 wrote:

You can pose those "what if" moments against virtually every Bond film though.