"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• RC7RC7
    The popularity of the 007 video games, which were similar to DAD's alleged flaws, certainly motivated the producers to bring the characteristics to the big screen.

Got any evidence of that?

DAD is the sacrificial lamb of the series, but for those who don't need to point the finger it can be a blast.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 4,619
    I like DAD. Sure, it's terrible compared to CR or SF but if you compare it to Bond films like TND or TWINE it's a near masterpiece. It has a lot of silly elements but the structure of the movie is pretty good.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I like DAD. Sure, it's terrible compared to CR or SF but if you compare it to Bond films like TND or TWINE it's a near masterpiece. It has a lot of silly elements but the structure of the movie is pretty good.
    My response to this is... wow, I can't even respond to this...
    :O
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Fortunately, I can quote him here...
    QBranch wrote:
    Actually [Now] I like when DAD finishes, because that means I can watch it again. :)
    I hope one gets a whiff of sarcasm coming from that comment. However, it is entirely possible to rate it near the bottom and still thoroughly enjoy it. There are some exceptional scenes in the film such as the majority of the PTS and as mentioned the Bond/Zao exchange, every scene with Bond and M, and the sword fight is pretty awesome too.
    chrisisall wrote:
    My response to this is... wow, I can't even respond to this...
    :O
    Enjoyability: GE > DAD > TND > TWINE

Better film: GE > TND > TWINE > DAD
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 19,339
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    the invisible car EXPLANATION ("Tiny cameras on every side of the car projects the image They see in the opposite side with the help of the light of the day... For the casual eye it's as good as invisible" - Resumed explanation by Q),

Agreed...i cant see the problem ,we've already had an underwater car in TSWLM, a flying car in TMWTGG and half a car in AVTAK.

And as said above,this was actually explained unlike the the first 2 i mentioned.

Why can't the bad guys still hear the rumble of the engine behind them? That's been something that's annoyed me mainly about the invisable car.
    If you just roll a car along nowadays,especially an Aston Martin,you will be surprised how quiet they can be.
    Also they were in a car park,so with no car visible behind them,they would presume it is another car.
    It's the worst Brosnan film out of the four for certain.

The problem I have with DAD is that the first half hour is so solid. Bond's mission goes wrong he ends up getting captured by the enemy who torture him for 14 months. Bond is literally in the worst physical condition he has ever been with the villains finally forcing him on his knees. The opening is subversive and relatively gritty.

The issue then is that after Bond is out of N.Korea the film slowly begins to loose it's initial conviction and begins to gradually becomes a fantasy film. The film stops being gritty and character-focussed and instead we go to some weird DNA clinic, meet Jinx, have a random swordfight, go to an Ice Palace (!), drive an invisible car, CGI surfing, etc.

The film massively looses its way. The opening act seems to suggest we will be getting a much more introverted film (akin to the Craig movies) but instead decides against this. Plus having deconstructed the character of Bond so well in the opening half-hour he gets his mojo back in about 5 minutes. I have trouble believing Bond wouldn't have been able to escape from his Korean prison especially considering how on form he is when he gets out. The film is a wasted opportunity as we could have seen a broken Bond putting himself back together again and galvanising his energy to hunt down the villain (ala Skyfall).

The other issue is that some moments in the film are very risible. Numerous times I found myself unintentionally laughing (the random Korean silent generals, the Mr Kil fight, everything Gustav Graves says and his stupid Robocop suit).

Like most bad movies it does have some redeeming features the biggest being that after they finished with this mess the prods cleaned up their act and made CR.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 99
    Watched it again this week. I have come to the conclusion that DAD is a fun movie. If you watch the Brosnan's Bonds in order, then yeah there's a huge dip in quality. But, if you're just looking for a popcorn flick to kill a few hours then DAD is a good choice. It's not meant to be taken seriously; just think of the movie as a superhero flick.

The CGI is laughable, but come on, a lot of CGI effects seen in movies around that time were laughable. I thought Brosnan, Dench, and Cleese did a fantastic job. I have nothing to say about Halle Berry.

The PTS is one of the best, the sword fight scene is great, the car chase with Zao's cool, and the ending fight scene is good. I doubt this movie was made for an oscar contender; it was probably made to celebrate 40 years of Bond, and just a fun getaway movie.
    Watched it again this week. I have come to the conclusion that DAD is a fun movie. If you watch the Brosnan's Bonds in order, then yeah there's a huge dip in quality. But, if you're just looking for a popcorn flick to kill a few hours then DAD is a good choice. It's not meant to be taken seriously; just think of the movie as a superhero flick.

The CGI is laughable, but come on, a lot of CGI effects seen in movies around that time were laughable. I thought Brosnan, Dench, and Cleese did a fantastic job. I have nothing to say about Halle Berry.

The PTS is one of the best, the sword fight scene is great, the car chase with Zao's cool, and the ending fight scene is good. I doubt this movie was made for an oscar contender; it was probably made to celebrate 40 years of Bond, and just a fun getaway movie.

1294.gif

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited April 2014 Posts: 45,489
    Best film ever.
    I think the first hour or so is straight up awesome and DAD has an undeniable energy to it.

But yes... it has TONS of flaws.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    You can go to a three star restaurant and order FRWL, OHMSS, CR, ... It will be an unforgettable night.

You can also go to a fine Brasserie and have a GF or OP or ... . Nothing exceptional but you'll still walk out of there with a smile.

And then you can go to the news stand and buy a chocolate bar with your magazine. One of the brands of chocolate bars you can buy is DAD. The first bites taste great, the caramel and nuts are a real treat, but after a while your stomach begins to protest. You're no longer famished so the job's done, but I can't guarantee that you won't be craving decent food very soon.

This is DAD for me. It's easily digestible at first, and some bits are really good (some of the action, Rosamund Pike, ...), but after about to thirds, I've had more than enough.
    It's more like the kebab you buy at the end of a night out. At first it looks really appetising and after 10 pints you know you just want one but ultimately it's so greasy that it leaves a bad taste in your mouth and you'll inevitably hurl it all over the pavement.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Both excellent description of DAD
  • I loved the film all the way until the Iceland part of the film. I liked the whole Cuba part of the film and the confrontation with Zao in the plastic surgeons. John Cleese I thought was the best replacement possible for Desmond. Can anyone honestly think of anyone better suited for the role at the time?. Like I said before the film was great before the whole Iceland part of the film. The second half of the film turns the overall film from great to good in my opinion.
  • As for the flaws I thought Halle Berry was a weak bond girl, the whole Korean general turned into british billionare was far fetched and ridiculous. I really dislike Micheal Madsens presence, thank god its only brief, the CGI surfing scene I dislike a lot. However I don't understand why people call it far fetched and ridiculous when a lot of the James Bond films were the same. I think people had just gotten used to the darker bond film. This film I think is a solid bond entry to the series and just a whole lot of fun overall.
  • The problem I have with DAD is that the first half hour is so solid.

This is bang on the money. I timed it when I watched the other day, it is almost exactly 30 minutes in when Jinx pops out of the water and the whole film takes a massive swan-dive.

The worst parts up to then are Bond slowing his heart rate and maybe the CGI flamethrowing (which aren't too bad), whereas the good parts include the Hong Kong hotel, the cigar factory, and more.

The walkthrough of OO7's previous gadgets is an uncomfortable watch, but in that first half-hour we get the perfect tip-of-the-hat to the aficionados: "Birds of the West Indies" with the author's name scratched out. Nice touch.
    Birds of the West Indies was the best touch of them all, but thirty minutes? Not even thirty seconds. You know by the gunbarrel that this will be bad. A gunbarrel at the end of the movie is far superior to that attrocity.
    See? I told you I am never nice.
  • RC7RC7
    edited April 2014 Posts: 10,512
    Birds of the West Indies was the best touch of them all, but thirty minutes? Not even thirty seconds. You know by the gunbarrel that this will be bad. A gunbarrel at the end of the movie is far superior to that attrocity.
    See? I told you I am never nice.

It's all a bit of bollocks, but has touches of quality and invariable moments of inanity. I don't get how one can be angered by it, though. I know we take Bond seriously here, but it's always featured a healthy slice of nonsense. On the right occasion I'll happily sit through DAD for shits and giggles. The biggest crime in cinema is boring your audience and I genuinely don't think it commits this sin.

I have never ever been angered by DAD or any Bond film .It is just Bond, you know? Nothing that will kill you.
  • RC7RC7
    I have never ever been angered by DAD or any Bond film .It is just Bond, you know? Nothing that will kill you.

Thank God.

Listening to some people on here, I get the impression they were close to suicide after DAD.
    RC7 wrote:

Thank God.

Listening to some people on here, I get the impression they were close to suicide after DAD.

Parts of DAD have made me want to call the police as it felt like a crime had been committed ;) Joke.

Seriously, I agree with you. Bond is a load of rubbish ultimately.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited April 2014 Posts: 16,328
    Well first time viewings might lead to serious anger, But if you watch it, knowing how over the top and silly is, then watch it for what it is. Like Moonraker. I know it's an over the top movie that features Bond in space. I'm going to have fun with it. Same with Die Another Day.
    As I've said before, MR at least gets all the technical aspects right - direction, cinematography, sets, SFX, music etc. DAD just sucks on every level.
    I agree with @Willy. As silly as MR is though I can at least appreciate some of the skilful film-making it contains. DAD has a few good scenes but is ultimately poorly-made. THAT is where a lot of the anger comes from.
    In any case. I have way more fun and Joy with DAD where as I have constant headaches and Irritation for Man with the Golden Gun.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Murdock wrote:
    In any case. I have way more fun and Joy with DAD where as I have constant headaches and Irritation for Man with the Golden Gun.

DAF, TMWTGG and DAD are my three Bond films at the very bottom. You could say that with GG Chris Lee redeems things...a bit. Nonetheless its always been near the bottom. Those three have all at one point been in last place.
    Golden Gun is at the very bottom for me. with cement shoes I might at.
    I can't criticise you for that. GG is genuinely pretty poor. Dull and not funny.