Making Connections (Potential Spoilers) - Why Quantum Could Feature In Bond 24

edited August 2014 in SPECTRE Posts: 5,745
After running into a few hiccups in the Production Timeline Discussion, I realized that fan speculation for Bond 24 had no place in that thread. I'll save it for news and publicized rumors associated with the production of the film.

And now we're here. I'd like us all to use this thread for our random thoughts and speculation on where Bond 24 may possibly go as we slowly discover the seeping stream of news as production begins. Any ideas you get, or I get, that relate to what we could get in Bond 24 will find a home here. As we all suggest certain topics, if any strike up any major discussion I will change it to be the thread title. If it becomes more of an everybody-has-an-idea, I'll simply change the title to something along the lines of 'Making Connections - Bond 24 Speculation'.

This IS NOT a wishful thinking, what-if thread. This is a fact-based, relative speculation driven discussion. Take what we know, and try to make something out of it. I have a great one to open us with...

Comments

• edited April 2014 Posts: 5,745
    I'd like to open us with my reasoning for why Norther Europe, specifically a Scandinavian setting, will feature in the next Bond film.

What we know:
    -Sam Mendes recently opened a play in Ireland, where B24 writer John Logan also confirmed to staying while putting the finishing touches on the script. Articles featuring both stories included coy remarks about the possibility of Ireland featuring in the film.
    -James Bond producers, while receiving an award by the Irish Film Industry, commented that they would love to feature Ireland in a Bond film.
    -After opening his play , it was all but confirmed that Sam Mendes was location scouting.
    -It is revealed that the filmmakers are scouting for a Scandinavian actress for B24 in a minor Bong girl role, and have even held screen tests with actresses.

What I think:
    -Ireland will either directly feature in the film, or will substitue or partially substitute for Scandinavian locations.
    My reasoning? These pictures:

Ireland:
    2072-cobh.jpg
    TER1233.jpg
    Irishtown_2011.jpg

Sweden:

Stockholm_old_town_2002.jpg
    CopenhagenL_468x336.jpg
    25OVERNIGHTER1_SPAN-articleLarge.jpg

This is just pure speculation, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Very nice. Those last two photos are very striking; I could see Bond there.
    Certainly Sweden does appeal. Seeing as there has been these auditions take place? I would love to see parts of Sweden feature in the next movie.
    While I would LOVE to see Bond going to Scandinavia, I think the prohibitive pricing there may be an obstacle. I have not been in Ireland long enough to know if it can pass as Sweden or Norway (although those pictures look quite convincing), but I would think using another cheaper place to pass as Sweden or Norway would be the way to go.

Regarding the casting, let's not forget that it is not necessarily mean the characters will be from the same nationality as the actresses. It could however indicate that the Northern or the Eastern part of Europe would be use in some way (the actresses could play Russians, Poles, Hungarians, what have you).
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Certainly Sweden does appeal. Seeing as there has been these auditions take place? I would love to see parts of Sweden feature in the next movie.

Are we certain of that? It could only be to accommodate the actress. But if it was the case that would be great.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 11
    I would love if the next James bond movie is set in Ireland its a perfect place for it. I would love the next villain to be Irish. There are so many places in Ireland that would suit a bond film.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Shooting in Norway is very expensive. Not due to the price of alcohol, but due to taxation rules. Not sure how it is in Sweden and Denmark?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I do hope they do set Bond 24 in this area as there are so many great actors from that area as witnessed in The Killing, Borgen and The Bridge, the likes of the wonderful Pilou Asbaek who was so superb in A Hijacking would a real treat or maybe Mads brother Lars.
    001bondfan wrote:
    I would love if the next James bond movie is set in Ireland its a perfect place for it. I would love the next villain to be Irish. There are so many places in Ireland that would suit a bond film.

My only issue with Ireland for Bond 24 is that it would too much like Scotland look-wise. And this is also why I don't think it will be used... yet. Just like I doubt Bond 24 will feature the Far East.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 4,619
    I can't really see any part of Ireland substituting for Scandinavia. Yes, Scandinavia is expensive but if the American The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo could afford to shoot in Sweden then so can Bond.

I'm really hoping that Bond will go to a Nordic country in the next film. The only Nordic country Bond has visited so far on screen was Iceland in DAD but we didn't really see much of that country. If Bond will go North in Bond 24 he will probably go to Sweden or Denmark rather than Norway. (Oslo is the dullest Scandinavian capital by far.)

I can't wait to find out what the filming locations and the locations in the story will be. Since the producers always try to avoid repetition it's likely that Bond won't go to China, Turkey, Italy and South America in the next movie. They will probably avoid the Caribean as well, although it's a very Bondian location, it can appear in any Bond film.

My prediction:

- England will appear again, although for a much shorter duration.
    - At least one other European location will be used. (Denmark or Sweden?)
    - NO South & Central America. (Seen in QOS.) NO Canada & Australia. (Both too dull for a Bond film). NO East Asia. (Maybe Japan. But probably not.)
    - There will be at least one non-European location. One or more of these: USA, Sub-Saharan Africa, Middle-East, India and South-East Asia.
    Agree that Oslo is the dullest Scandinavian capital. I lived there 2003-2012. Would love to see Copenhagen in a Bond film if he is to visit a capital city.
    Stockholm would be beautiful. Heck, most of Sweden. That said, apart from the actresses who may or may not be Scandinavian (and I sure hope it will be confirmed), what else could we have that would hint of Scandinavia being used as a setting?
    Never been used before, and a huge fanbase here. Nothing that hints at it, but a good reason.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    I certainly think it's time for Bond to visit Scandinavia. I'd be thrilled if parts of the movie were shot in Sweden :) He should finally visit the country of so many beautiful past Bond girls.

(I doubt Ireland would work as shooting substitute for Sweden. Not the same landscapes at all)
    That has never stopped them before.
  • RC7RC7
    I'm all in for Stockholm. Great city, as is the rest of the nation. Fine with Helsinki or Copenhagen too. In all honesty, any location shoot will excite me.
  • I love the idea of Scandanavia, being of Norwegian heritage myself :-)
    I think, however, that the most Bondian location there is Copenhagen.
    Where exactly are the actresses who allegedly auditioned from?
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Ludovico wrote:
    Where exactly are the actresses who allegedly auditioned from?
    Both Swedish.
    My bet is that they might not necessarily play Swedish. The rumored/potential casting of Ejiofor would also bring some doubts about the use of Northern Europe. Not that there's no way around it of course.
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote:
    My bet is that they might not necessarily play Swedish. The rumored/potential casting of Ejiofor would also bring some doubts about the use of Northern Europe. Not that there's no way around it of course.

I wouldn't surmise Ejiofor means Northern Europe is out of bounds. Far from it.

There has been only four or so villains who played their actual nationality.

Yes but generally they look like they come from a certain place. Savalas was not Polish for instance, but he like Blofeld had Greek blood and looked foreign, for lack of a better word. Same thing with Christopher Lee, British but foreign looking (which had been a liability early in his career). Ejiofor could play someone akin to Gallia, if they can make him look evil enough.
    All of the Scandinavian capitals are very international cities, with people from all over the world. Oslo has been the fastest growing city in all of Europe for several years. Over the nine years I lived there, the population grew from 500 000 to 600 000, much due to imigration, both foreign and domestic. Coulored people and Englishmen are not a rare sight, they are everywhere. In the end,Ejiofor could be located anywhere in the world as we have seen so many times before in the franchise.
    All of the Scandinavian capitals are very international cities, with people from all over the world. Oslo has been the fastest growing city in all of Europe for several years. Over the nine years I lived there, the population grew from 500 000 to 600 000, much due to imigration, both foreign and domestic. Coulored people and Englishmen are not a rare sight, they are everywhere. In the end,Ejiofor could be located anywhere in the world as we have seen so many times before in the franchise.

I know that. And anyway, the plot will very likely be set in more than one geographic location. I guess I'm a bit wary of that crazy Blofeld hypothesis people sometimes brought forward here.
    You can expect the Blofeld hypothesis to resurface come Bond 25 as well.
    You can expect the Blofeld hypothesis to resurface come Bond 25 as well.

It will only stop once he shows up. But I meant the hypothesis that Ejiofor would play Blofeld.

Heck, here's my bit of speculation: Mendes is directing King Lear with Simon Russell Beale in the title role. So my guess is that IF Blofeld shows up in Bond 24, he may be played by Beale. And introduced the new M and Moneypenny were.
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote:

Yes but generally they look like they come from a certain place. Savalas was not Polish for instance, but he like Blofeld had Greek blood and looked foreign, for lack of a better word. Same thing with Christopher Lee, British but foreign looking (which had been a liability early in his career). Ejiofor could play someone akin to Gallia, if they can make him look evil enough.

I don't get the Gallia thing, though. Ejiofir is British. He could play a great Brit character, a Scandinavian, an Eastern European an African an American... I think it's wide open that, should he be cast, he could very well be any nationality, even Swedish. Two of their best ever footballers are of African/Swedish descent.
    He could play Gallia, who had European (French) blood. But I find him far too nice guy looking. I say Gallia because he is a Fleming character who has only been partially adapted with LALD. And if the villain, I'd rather have a Swedish actor. They just have creepy accents.
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote:
    He could play Gallia, who had European (French) blood. But I find him far too nice guy looking. I say Gallia because he is a Fleming character who has only been partially adapted with LALD. And if the villain, I'd rather have a Swedish actor. They just have creepy accents.

You don't think Ejiofor can simply play a new character? Non-Fleming, nationality up for grabs? I think you're underestimating his abilities as an actor if that's the case. I'd be willing to bet he could pull off literally any nationality. I also like the idea that his looks can act as a facade - I'm a fan of the atypical aesthetics of a traditional Bond bad guy, but I still like the idea he'll have to work hard to convince as a villain. It adds a level of interest that isn't there if they simply cast to type.