Turning Japanese? I really think so... The Anime Thread

2»

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Berserk is magnificent, both the anime and the manga. I'm now curious to see what they're doing with the films.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 1,009
    Berserk real-life films? A bit late, but better than never. I'll be looking forward for them. Miura said that one of his main ibspirations is Sam Raimi. As a Raimi fan I'd love to see these influences reflected there. And I hope Buronson will work on them.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Well WE just finished Eden of The East!
    My Son rates it #1, and I rate it #2 behind FMA:B.

VERY highly recommended.
    OTT in places, head scratching in terms of realism, but extremely excellent message. How they were able to get funding for such a project is beyond me.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Eden of the East is really good. My brother and i just finished Kanon tonight...wow!
  • BGDBGD
    edited March 2014 Posts: 37
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is my favorite anime.
    I primarily turn to fiction for entertainment, so I prefer it when the shows I watch don't take themselves too seriously. That's goes doubly for anything animated, whether anime or Western cartoons.

That said, Lupin the Third is my favorite anime. Particularly the "red jacket" series, but also the 40+ year franchise as a whole. Definitely possesses all the humor of a zany Saturday morning cartoon, but with pretty distinct characters and some serious capers and action.

Also a big fan of Sgt. Frog, Shinchan, and Soul Eater, all of which have a great sense of humor.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Cowboy Bebop is my favorite Anime.
    edited April 2014 Posts: 784
    I am going to revisit Clannad soon. After listening to the soundtracks everyday for along time now, I must re watch it. I listen to anime soundtracks when I study or need to relax. Here is a sample of how good this score is for this show:

It is simply an amazing story. I hope some of you have seen or make an attempt to see it. If you stick around for the whole package you will know what I am talking about.

DarthDimi wrote:
    Question: You guys do watch anime in Japanese with English subs, right? I'm very strict about that. Personally I consider it blasphemous to watch anime with an English dub.

I watch English Only. You really don't like the English versions?? Wow, you should hear some of the voices that come out of FUNimation...they are perfect for many of the roles. Check out my first post, to view some of the names. My brother and I love the voice acting and listening to the commentaries.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Question: You guys do watch anime in Japanese with English subs, right? I'm very strict about that. Personally I consider it blasphemous to watch anime with an English dub.

I watch English Only. You really don't like the English versions?? Wow, you should hear some of the voices that come out of FUNimation...they are perfect for many of the roles. Check out my first post, to view some of the names. My brother and I love the voice acting and listening to the commentaries.

I'm a big fan of the voice actors FUNimation uses for their dubs, as well. Got to meet Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi at a con' last weekend. One of them mentioned during a panel that it's just been in the last couple of decades that dubbed voices in anime have transitioned from being a few people the American producers know who read lines to classically trained, professional actors.

There are a few anime I watch subtitled when there's no English dub available (especially with the recent slew of Lupin III titles released in North America without a dub option), but generally speaking I do prefer to listen to the dubs for several reasons, one of which being I can pay more attention to the animation itself when I'm not busy reading the subtitles.

Oh, and also all of the voice actors I've met who are involved with the dubs seem like genuinely cool people.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    There are two reasons I'll watch anime subtitled:
    1) No option
    2) If the English dub actors sound like sh*t

Generally, I only have to deal with option 1, but on occasion, option 2 has happened.
    SlyFox007 wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

I'm a big fan of the voice actors FUNimation uses for their dubs, as well. Got to meet Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi at a con' last weekend. One of them mentioned during a panel that it's just been in the last couple of decades that dubbed voices in anime have transitioned from being a few people the American producers know who read lines to classically trained, professional actors.

There are a few anime I watch subtitled when there's no English dub available (especially with the recent slew of Lupin III titles released in North America without a dub option), but generally speaking I do prefer to listen to the dubs for several reasons, one of which being I can pay more attention to the animation itself when I'm not busy reading the subtitles.

Oh, and also all of the voice actors I've met who are involved with the dubs seem like genuinely cool people.

Yeah, Monica Rial is very talented. Its funny because last night my brother and I were finishing up the new episodes of Fairy Tail, and I told him that Monica Rial is the only voice for Marijane's Character. It fits perfectly.
    My Son & I just got Space Battleship Yamato 2199 on eBay. It's a remake of the late 70's series released in English as Star Blazers (for you older folk like me). They redesigned nothing, just updated the tek & character look. It's absolutely AWESOME! And all 26 episodes for $24?!?!?!?! How ever could I resist??? My inner teen is thrilled; my present self is amazed. No English dub, but I am SO okay with the subtitles. Even the Yamato theme is the same!! Best anime purchase ever. :)>-
    Space-Battle-ship-yamato2.jpg
    Oh man, this series is THE BOMB! We're nearly done (6 eps to go) and it's exceeded my expectations by far. Any anime fans here will do themselves a big favour by getting this NOW.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 784
    Just finished watching Gurren Laggen. Great show and I am glad they gave it a nice ending to close it out. however we have decided not to watch the second season with alternate realities at this time.

Soon we will begin watching Sword Art Online II. Have the first episode recorded on DVR, just waiting for a good time to watch it before Saturday.
    SAOII is really cool. Different though, get ready for a gear change...
    Samurai Champloo (2004) is fast becoming one of my favourite animes of all time. It's funny, serious, at times heartbreaking, and then out of nowhere hilarious. 2/3 the way through the series (one season only) and I am already dreading the end since it will be OVER!!!
    Very highly recommended!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Zone of the Enders: Dolores, i. Tie-in to the PS2 game Zone of the Enders, an underrated franchise, as far as I'm concerned. If you're a mecha fan, I suggest you give it a look.
  • KaijuDirectorOO7KaijuDirectorOO7 Once Upon a Time Somewhere...
    edited July 2016 Posts: 189
    My Top 10 (Movies Not Included)

1. Space Battleship Yamato - Epic, awesome, and quite plainly, the best. The stories are spellbinding, the battles epic, and quite plainly, the one anime that was the equivalent of Star Wars. It's also worth mentioning that the remake, Space Battleship Yamato 2199, kept a lot of this spirit alive.

2. Legend of The Galactic Heroes - One of the space operas that grew huge. VERY huge. If Yamato is the anime version of Star Wars, LoGH is the anime world's War and Peace. This, I dare say was more epic than Yamato, but the reason it's a peg below is because some of the staff got their start in Yamato, and the fact that I tend to like the stories in Yamato better.

3. Lupin III - The thrilling adventures of the world's greatest thief. Emphasis on 'thrilling'. This man could give Bond a run for his money and has even lasted almost as long as he has. That's got to account for a lot of respect!

4. Mobile Suit Gundam- This anime as true game changer and rewrote the rulebook for all mecha-related series that followed. Keep in mind all previous mecha series were superhero-like ones. Gundam threw away that pretense and tried to make a WW2 in space using the titular suit. A hit it wasn't at first, but after a while, it soon entered anime legend and became a beloved (and strong) saga for the past 37 years.

5. One-Punch Man - The critics sure weren't wrong about this one. It's very funny as well as an epic rethinking of superheroes in general.

6. Voltes V - The first super robot series I ever saw. The creator of Gundam, Yoshiyuki Tomino, bankrolled this one before working on Gundam. It tells of story of the five pilots of the titular mecha and their epic war against the evil Boazanian Empire. This one was entered legend here in the Philippines after Ferdinand Marcos had it cancelled with only four episodes left to air. I'm grateful for my aunt having shown it to me when I was six, and it was the first anime I ever saw that was dubbed in Filipino.

7. Slam Dunk - This one is on the list because I watched it a lot as a kid with my uncle and younger brother. It's also very funny and well as an entertaining sports tale. It also has the honor of being the first anime I ever saw in it's original dub.

8. Dragon Ball Z - Yes, I am very aware of the amount of criticism this one has. Long, drawn-out fights, screaming, and superpowered blondes. But for all it's worth, it has its moments. And good grief are they worth it.

9. Pokemon - The very first anime I ever saw. It holds a special place in my heart for that, and despite the feeling that it should end sometime (or at least finish Ash's story), it made my childhood and Cartoon Network awesome.

10. Super Dimension Fortress Macross - This one surprised me quite a bit. There's one character who I'd thought would be an obstruction, being a *cough* politician *cough* and all . But despite his brief screentime, he actually managed to do some good by urging the captain of the ship to fight on despite being trapped. The animation's also great and the score gets in your head.
    My Top 10 (Movies Not Included)

1. Space Battleship Yamato - Epic, awesome, and quite plainly, the best. The stories are spellbinding, the battles epic, and quite plainly, the one anime that was the equivalent of Star Wars. It's also worth mentioning that the remake, Space Battleship Yamato 2199, kept a lot of this spirit alive.

=D> :)>- \m/
    8. Dragon Ball Z - Yes, I am very aware of the amount of criticism this one has. Long, drawn-out fights, screaming, and superpowered blondes. But for all it's worth, it has its moments. And good grief are they worth it.

Dragon Ball Z was amazing to me the first time I saw it. Now, I can't stand to watch it again because I know there's often 24 episodes per fight scene. That, and I'll never be able to take the show as seriously as I could before again, because of Dragon Ball Z Abridged.

4. Mobile Suit Gundam- This anime as true game changer and rewrote the rulebook for all mecha-related series that followed. Keep in mind all previous mecha series were superhero-like ones. Gundam threw away that pretense and tried to make a WW2 in space using the titular suit. A hit it wasn't at first, but after a while, it soon entered anime legend and became a beloved (and strong) saga for the past 37 years.

The best of the best, the cream of the crop, and just plain the anime to watch. The compilation movies are also fantastic, and tend to downplay the remaining super robot tropes that the series was forced to keep because of toy marketing.

9. Pokemon - The very first anime I ever saw. It holds a special place in my heart for that, and despite the feeling that it should end sometime (or at least finish Ash's story), it made my childhood and Cartoon Network awesome.

Have you ever seen Pokemon Origins? It's a terrific little OVA.
    Recently watched Akame ga Kill! and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

Both are very good, but The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was absolutely a great watch. I finally see why it has such a big following.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 17,687
    We're 2/3 the way through Samurai Champloo and I have to say this is fast becoming my solid 3rd favourite Anime of all time. It may climb higher still. It's by the same dudes that worked on Cowboy Beebop (but I think it's vastly superior).
    Samurai.Champloo.full.1393416.jpg
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I'm not a fan of the genre in general, but one of my favourite films of all time is SPIRITED AWAY.
    I'm not a fan of the genre in general, but one of my favourite films of all time is SPIRITED AWAY.
    A Miyazaki classic all right.
    Anybody watch the movie Your Name? This was incredible. Luckily my brother and I were able to view it on the big screen.
    @WillardWhyte

I reckon it's the very best anime I've ever seen and one of the very best films I've ever seen. It's a funny, romantic, beautiful story.

230029_1327878.jpg
    Anime can be the best. Some of my favorites:

Spirited Away
    Princess Mononoke
    My Neighbor Totoro
    The Castle of Cagliostro
    The Wind Rises
    Porco Rosso
    When Marnie Was There
    Grave of the Fireflies
    Perfect Blue
    Your Name
    A Silent Voice
    Akira
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Anime can be the best. Some of my favorites:

Spirited Away
    Princess Mononoke
    My Neighbor Totoro
    The Castle of Cagliostro
    The Wind Rises
    Porco Rosso
    When Marnie Was There
    Grave of the Fireflies
    Perfect Blue
    Your Name
    A Silent Voice
    Akira

All of these are great, @FoxRox. I'm particularly charmed by your inclusion of When Marnie Was There, which I always assumed was less beloved than it should be.
    just started watching the 4th season of Sword Art Online and it's been awesome
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited August 2020 Posts: 280
    I've never had a particularly positive view of SAO proper. On the other hand, I absolutely love the Abridged series. It's got a genuinely well done story beneath the comedy.