Most Underrated Film

Comments

• edited March 2014 Posts: 2,491
    Click. Click.

Mod Edit - Removed profanity. Your choice of language is unacceptable.
    NOES sequels , F13 sequels.
  • Am I crazy, or did John Carter deserve a much better response than it got? I thought it was a very good adaptation of one of the seminal novels of imaginative fiction. The entire "space opera" genre began with Edgar Rice Burroughs' first novel, "A Princess of Mars" -- and Burroughs himself went on to create Tarzan, one of the most iconic heroes of the 20th Century. And yet...and yet...for reasons of studio politics, the Disney company went out of their way to trash their own release, the critical community went right along with the trashing, and the vast majority of the movie-going public never even saw the blessed thing. If ever there was an under-rated film in the action/adventure/Sci-fi genre, it is John Carter (which should have at the least been titled "John Carter of Mars" so as not to totally lose its potential audience!)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    You are not crazy dude, it was a pretty excellent piece of entertainment.
    I was a fan of the Seventies Marvel comics adaption as a kid, and I found the movie to be pretty faithful to that, and the first book. Well, reasonably. It did NOT deserve to be the Cutthroat Island of this century (and that wasn't so bad either).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    chrisisall wrote:
    You are not crazy dude, it was a pretty excellent piece of entertainment.
    I was a fan of the Seventies Marvel comics adaption as a kid, and I found the movie to be pretty faithful to that, and the first book. Well, reasonably. It did NOT deserve to be the Cutthroat Island of this century (and that wasn't so bad either).

Me, too. This film should appeal to those who like Star Wars, no idea why it flopped. One thing bugged me in it, though: Taylor Kitch in the lead role. All wrong for the part, and that dragged it down quite a bit. Other than that- enjoyable and well made film.

JONAH HEX is another example of an underrated film. Brolin was fantastic in it even if he was not initially my idea of Hex having read the comics way back. I really wish they would make another.
    Payback with Mel Gibson was a really good underrated movie. Old school violence. (& Lucy Liu =P~ )
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 1,405
    The first that comes to mind is Cowboys and Aliens. Awesome distribution, action-packed, a movie when you see it the first time you can't guess what's going to happen next.

I really love Cowboys and Aliens and sadly, few people I know who saw it, including my wife and childrens, think highly of it.
    I really love Cowboys and Aliens
    Me too; I own the DVD!
    chrisisall wrote:
    I really love Cowboys and Aliens
    Me too; I own the DVD!

It started off as a really excellent western, but got silly after the aliens arrived.I knew about the premise of course, but was underwhelmed by how it turned out.

LOOPER seems like a forgotten and overlooked film by most. That was a brilliant sci-fi and one of the best films of all 2012.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I mentioned it before on here, but I'll say it again: The American, with George Clooney. Great film!

I mentioned it before on here, but I'll say it again: The American, with George Clooney. Great film!

I bought that film as I am a fan of Anton Corbijn, but have not gotten around to watching it yet.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 12,242
    Bump. Can't just pick one, so I'm going to list a few:

Nick of Time (1995): A solid thriller that received mediocre/bad reviews. For me anyway, I was grabbed the whole way, and I thought Depp and Walken were both terrific standouts. Though the execution was so-so on story, it's very suspenseful and intriguing. Fun film.
    Frequency (2000): Another thriller I feel that is overlooked. It's a highly entertaining crime/fantasy feature, and packs on great emotional depth in addition to the story. This one's a personal favorite for me; I wish more people would give it a chance.
    The Killing (1956): Not underrated by critics, but all too forgotten today. Odd as it feels placing a Kubrick film here, I feel that this film was lost in his great canon, and deserves a lot more attention. It's one of the best noir films I've ever seen, and it's still an excellent watch now.
    Ed Wood (1994): Tim Burton's black-and-white biopic about Ed Wood Jr. is arguably his magnum opus, yet one of the most overlooked in his filmography. Critics liked it, but it bombed at the box office, and remains underseen today. Very funny, well-done film.
    After Hours (1985): Yet another critics enjoyed, but gets overshadowed too often. Hilarious dark comedy feature; one of Scorsese's most purely enjoyable films.
    The Majestic (2001): Not sure why this one got such mediocre reviews. I think it's easily one of Jim Carrey's best films. Solid drama flick.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2016 Posts: 15,686
    - 'Munich'. Yes, it has a high rating on most movie websites, and was nominated for lots of awards.. But, it feels like the film has been forgotten by a lot of people - I rarely see casual movie goers mention it while discussing Spielberg's career, or even his recent work. I'd rank it in my top 5 all-time favorite movies. Apart from a few members from this website like @Creasy47, I feel really alone in loving this breathtaking film.

- 'The Hunter' (the 2011 Australian film with Willem Dafoe). Awe-inspiring movie. Gorgeous filmography, killer soundtrack, great simple story. And, most importantly: Willem Dafoe gives a performance that puts to shame a lot of acclaimed performances from recent years.
    I did see Munich. It was very heavy and intense, but pretty well-done. It does deserve more attention. I wouldn't rank it among my personal favorite Spielberg films (he is my favorite director), but I do appreciate it. Tonally, it's a very unusual Spielberg film.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Caprice 1967

Only after 40 years!!! It got released on DVD to finally find a new audience.
    The most underrated movie of Doris Day.

In fact it is my second favourite Doris Day movie after The Thrill Of It All.

And of course Caprice is perfect for this forum, as it is a spy movie, it has comedic elements but actually is quite serious and it is a real Bond homage.

Check out this trailer which shows nicely how Bondesque the movie is. While it sells it as a comedy, it's more serious than you would think.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WkdEbvx5gDg"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Highly recommended if you like Doris Day and/or want to see a movie that only exists because James Bond happened in the 60's. It's a real homage.

It's available on Blu-ray and it looks fantastic in High Definition.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I have a soft spot for these 60's films that have that espionage flavour to them. I'll be getting this one for sure. Thanks @BondJasonBond006.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Gattaca
    Wonder Boys

If you haven't seen either, do so.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Far and Away (1992) It's an old fashion, historical, romantic film with an epic "land run" Great work from Cruise, Kidman and Howard, not to mention a John Williams score.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Far and Away (1992) It's an old fashion, historical, romantic film with an epic "land run" Great work from Cruise, Kidman and Howard, not to mention a John Williams score.

I thought it was decent. I'm not a big fan of Ron Howard, but it's an okay movie. I never hear it get talked about.

I enjoyed the movie immensely when I was younger, but it's mostly romantic nonsense. It requires the belief in love as a thing, and once you realize it's all crap, movies like these fall apart no matter how well crafted.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I loved it when it came out and feel the same now. It was filmed in 70mm and looks incredible on Blu-ray.
    I loved it when it came out and feel the same now. It was filmed in 70mm and looks incredible on Blu-ray.
    I remember it looking great even on VHS! Pretty movie, good dialogue & fantastic score.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    The theatrical cut had its problems but this one is pure old school cinema spectacle:

v1.bTsxMTE4MDM5MjtqOzE3MDExOzIwNDg7MjAwMDszMDAw

Talking of old school epicness, why do people not enjoy this gem?

1963_Cleopatra.jpg
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    BARB WIRE people, BARB WIRE!
    Who's Richard Bvrton?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Oh dear. I did watch that Alexander thing and it was cringeworthy imho.

I have Cleopatra on blu but haven't had the commitment to sit down and watch it yet. Bit like Gone With The Wind, or Quo Vadis even. Have to be in the mood.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Oh dear. I did watch that Alexander thing and it was cringeworthy imho.

I have Cleopatra on blu but haven't had the commitment to sit down and watch it yet. Bit like Gone With The Wind, or Quo Vadis even. Have to be in the mood.

Quo Vadis is a little too preachy for my tastes.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 526
    Star Trek III : Search For Spock
    TripAces wrote: »
    Who's Richard Bvrton?

It's been so long since this post that the image in question is gone, but @TripAces, I just want to tell you this comment of yours gave me a big laugh, five years later! =))
  • Draco20Draco20 USA
    A Perfect Getaway(2009)
    This is an outstanding thriller and it just got no recognition whatsoever. Mila Jovovich, Timothy Oliphant, Steve Zahn. A real edge of the seat thriller. I highly recommend it.