DA had its chances and did not act on it,

Your respectable opinion, my friend, no more... [-X ;) :D

Bring David Arnold Back! :D
    ggl007 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    DA had its chances and did not act on it,

Your respectable opinion, my friend, no more... [-X ;) :D

Bring David Arnold Back! :D

While with drum 'n Bass DA you recognised possibly the movie the sound belonged to, with CR & QoS he did do a few quite numbers in the soundtrack but there was no cohesion at all. And he had a shot at creating something new the best he came up with was a re-working of John Barry once again.

With Newman at least there was a cohesion in the score, it did make a whole unit, albeit not very Bondian.

If you are such a fan of DA you were never a fan of the great Soundtracks the 007 franchise once used to have. You prefer bland elevatormusic or generic actionmusic and that is fine too. But for me it seems that EON has forgotten to be bold out there with their music instead of palying it save with some tv composer.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    SaintMark wrote:
    If you are such a fan of DA you were never a fan of the great Soundtracks the 007 franchise once used to have. You prefer bland elevatormusic or generic actionmusic and that is fine too. But for me it seems that EON has forgotten to be bold out there with their music instead of palying it save with some tv composer.

So just because He's a fan of David Arnold that doesn't make him a Bond fan? That's so stupid. It's a Matter of taste. What makes you the judge of Bond fandom? I like David Arnold and prefer his music over Newman's. John Barry is the king of Bond music and will never change. But at least David tried to keep with Barry's tradition while mixing it up a little bit. Sure the techno got out of hand in 1999/2002 but that's the time period for you. If he was given more expressive freedom to use the Bond theme and even 007 theme like he once said he wanted to use. He would create something fantastic. But sadly in this time period where all the music has to be bland and composed by Hans Zimmer for every damn movie, I'd rather bring David Arnold back.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Thanks, Murdock.

I love ALL John Barry music, but sadly he can´t be back.

Arnold´s work in his four Bond films are, in my opinion, superior to Newman´s. As I´ve said, just a question of opinions. (Arnold a TV composer?? Oh, yes, like in his brilliant Sherlock? you mean...)
    I'm not David Arnold's biggest fan by any means but to say that you can't be a fan of Bond soundtracks if you like his work is quite honestly loopy 8-}
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 7,653
    I'm not David Arnold's biggest fan by any means but to say that you can't be a fan of Bond soundtracks if you like his work is quite honestly loopy 8-}

What I said is that DA always was an underachiever when compared to the period before him. His composing for CR & QoS was hit and more often miss, and now people blame EON for not allowing him to use the 007 theme?? And EON gets the credit for forcing Newman to use more 007 theme. That is so schizofrenic.

DA stands for a poor period of music, I want creatiity back instead of elevator music or techno music. DA is than the wrong choice. imho
    SaintMark wrote:

What I said is that DA always was an underachiever when compared to the period before him. His composing for CR & QoS was hit and more often miss, and now popel blame EON for not allowing him to use the 007 theme?? And EON gets the credit for forcing Newman to use more 007 theme. That is so schizofrenic.

DA stands for a poor period of music, I want creatiity back instead of elevator music or techno music. DA is than the wrong choice. imho

I can be more specific on this part. I for one love Arnold's music for the Brosnan Era. I think he great musical freedom. Used the Bond theme at all the right times. But when the Craig era started, Bond music was getting more subtle and severely lacking the Bond theme. Why? Is Monty Norman asking for more royalties? Is EoN ashamed to use the theme? I want answers too. But today what Bond 24 and the future of Bond music needs is more freedom to use the James Bond theme when nessessary, and Even the 007 theme. A tune I want to hear again. I liked a little bit of CR's and QoS's scores. Like Night at the Opera, Vesper's theme, Dinner Jackets, African Rundown, Camille's Story, Time to get out. All well and good. but I miss the Brass, the punch, the orchestral James Bond theme from the Roger Moore Era. Arnold at least tried.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    SaintMark wrote:

What I said is that DA always was an underachiever when compared to the period before him. His composing for CR & QoS was hit and more often miss, and now popel blame EON for not allowing him to use the 007 theme?? And EON gets the credit for forcing Newman to use more 007 theme. That is so schizofrenic.

You're confusing James Bond theme with 007 theme. They're two completely different themes.
    I know and I like them both, albeit the 007 theme a wee bit more even if the James Bond theme is bigger.

And indeed I should seperate them but the 007 theme was last heard in MR, I guess I should be more accurate. My apologies for the inaccuracy.
  • Bradford4Bradford4 Banned
    edited January 2014 Posts: 152
    CR, QOS, Skyfall... all have their moments but on the whole are too bland too vanilla for Bond. TND to me is Arnold's best Bond score and shold be the prototype going forward. But if you look at David Arnold's career, his big booming scores that are very melodic and full of themes (Stargate, ID4, Godzilla, TND), and compare them to his current work it is night and day. Perhaps Arnold is simply not interested in crafting big scores anymore.
  • Bond doesn't miss Anold at all. Five scores were more than enough. Thankfully it looks like Newman will be back for Bond 24. Post Mende,s use Alexandre Desplat or Craig Armstrong.

Arnold has had his day.
  • Bond misses David Arnold!
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Now that Deakins is not back, perhaps the "Mendes team" was not so hard to break...

Bye, Newman?, Hello, Arnold?? :D
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Any word on Dennis Gassner returning?
  • Arnold produces shallow, videogame, Austin Power music. Newman added texture and atmosphere to Skyfall. He's no John Barry of course, not even close, but it's streets ahead of Arnold. It disappoints me to see the negativity on these forums, and the blidn devotion to a man who can't even do pastiche properly.

Bring Back Newman 2015 (BBN2015)

Perhaps in his earlier days, when less attention to the quality of the movies was given before CR and the Golden Age of Daniel Craig's films, David Arnold produced very cliched pieces. As sappy as Paris & Bond was, the score piece was more carefully done than the presentation. But as we got to CR and QoS we got more complete scores. For example, later works like the Vesper theme is not too short and yet it stands on its own. QoS has an electric-guitar Bond theme that plays throughout the film as much as Vesper's score.

In fact, as you may know, some of Arnold's work is used (although small) in Skyfall. The last couple of films have carried forth David Arnold's work in some way. Plus, the score for QoS was done after principal photography was wrapped up. Marc Forster worked closely with him to work things out and have a harmony between the score and the film.

Thomas Newman relies a lot on percussion, repetition, and is mainly absent. It's like he tries to use fewer different chords. In this case it might be better for him to take a risk and use some different instruments for his pieces. David Arnold did that with QoS alone using Spanish guitar amongst other instruments.
    ggl007 wrote:
    Now that Deakins is not back, perhaps the "Mendes team" was not so hard to break...

Bye, Newman?, Hello, Arnold?? :D

Let's hope so!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Any word on Dennis Gassner returning?

Yes, he is. This was confirmed one year ago.
  • Arnold is well past his sell by date. Five scores is more than enough. Hopefully, Newman will return for Bond 24, if not, go for Alexandre Desplat.
  • RC7RC7
    Arnold is well past his sell by date. Five scores is more than enough. Hopefully, Newman will return for Bond 24, if not, go for Alexandre Desplat.

Is there an echo in here?
  • David Arnold is very overrated. He has his moments, but his Bond scores are often interchangeable noise. Even his most ardent supporters would not be able to ID his music the way you would with Barry's Bond scores. They would lie and claim they would and you know they wouldn't.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I hope John Barry was frozen like Walt Disney, and that they can bring him back, Bond misses John Barry...
  • I do not get the rave over the QoS score. The entire score have practically no recurring themes at all...except for the melody that Arnold later used for the song No Good In Goodbye..and that interesting guitar riff those were few and far between.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    David Arnold is very overrated. He has his moments, but his Bond scores are often interchangeable noise. Even his most ardent supporters would not be able to ID his music the way you would with Barry's Bond scores. They would lie and claim they would and you know they wouldn't.

Evidence about this? Because that doesn't apply to me.
    Doggie likes to make sweeping statements as facts. He has no problem coming off sounding like that. Just move on.
    David Arnold is very overrated. He has his moments, but his Bond scores are often interchangeable noise. Even his most ardent supporters would not be able to ID his music the way you would with Barry's Bond scores. They would lie and claim they would and you know they wouldn't.
    I can. It's not so hard when your love of Bond music is so strong you seek out Every Bond soundtrack. I have all 23 movie soundtracks plus most of the game soundtracks, compilation albums and fan made remix albums. David Arnold is not overrated. In fact here he's underrated. Though that is slowly changing with disappointment over Newman's Skyfall score. I'm so good at identifying Bond music from their source, that strangely enough I happened to have heard several music cues from the FRWL videogame in one of those murder recreation shows my mom likes to watch.
    Murdock wrote:
    I can. It's not so hard when your love of Bond music is so strong you seek out Every Bond soundtrack. I have all 23 movie soundtracks plus most of the game soundtracks, compilation albums and fan made remix albums. David Arnold is not overrated. In fact here he's underrated. Though that is slowly changing with disappointment over Newman's Skyfall score. I'm so good at identifying Bond music from their source, that strangely enough I happened to have heard several music cues from the FRWL videogame in one of those murder recreation shows my mom likes to watch.
    I agree, Arnold is underrated and as more people realize how disappointing Newman's Skyfall score, they'll realize what a genius Arnold really was. Hopefully he'll be back for Bond 24 because I don't think Newman can be relied upon to make a truly Bondian score. Skyfall was all about setting up a more classic Bond universe, and Bond 24 has to come out shooting with classic Bond theme motifs allover the score, and Arnold is the guy to do that, not Newman.
    Newman was only dissapointing because he did not bring his A game, as for Arnold being a genius there must be something wrong with the water you drink and or bathe in. ;)
  • Murdock wrote:

I guess I could too if I listen to them like 15 or 20 times. With Barry's scores, just two or three times they are ingrained in your head...AND you like to listen to the music. With Arnold, I don't have the motivation to re-listen many of his work. Any action cue that is more than 4 minutes in length is a warning sign to me: STAY AWAY, WALL OF SOUND APPROACHING.
  • Just watching Sherlock again today, and I love the music. And that's what gets me about DA, fab everywhere else, but pants with Bond....why?

Can you tell me please why?

The man has a fab musical history...Is it because he's so fond of Bond, he just gets all tense creatively and can't deliver the Bond soundtrack I know is in him...or is it simply he just can't do it for Bond, there is no synergy, no chemistry?

Actually, there are plenty of us who respect and enjoy Arnold's work on Bond films.
    I watched some of QoS on the telly the other day and was paying more attention to the score than usual. There are some great bits in there, but at times it's a bit clunky. I still think on balance that Arnold's work is better than Newman's when it comes to Bond. But perhaps the series should be aiming higher?

That said, I would have no issue with Arnold's return. I'd prefer him to do B24 than Newman.