Flight MH370

edited March 2014 in General Discussion Posts: 2,782
Dear oh dear, is this the prequel to Lost?

It's fascinating. I'm sure the powers that be, know exactly what's happened, how it happened and where it happened.

I love the drip drip of info from the hapless Malaysian spokesman...

I wonder what deals have been done behind the scenes with the Chinese, Indians, Americans etc.

Here's a link of what's occurred so far, if you have any other bits of info from where you are around the world I'd love to hear about it. I don't know if its captured the attention of the public like it has in the UK where you are, but it would be interesting to know.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26503141

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/178156-the-mystery-of-flight-mh370-how-can-we-track-a-smartphone-anywhere-on-earth-but-a-giant-plane-can-go-missing

And remember over 300 people are lost and the look of anguish on the family members is awful, I would be going out of my mind if my family was on that plane.

May their gods protect them.

Comments

It's awful but may I suggest changing the title of the thread at the very least. Not sure whether making a reference to Bond is entirely appropriate in these circumstances.
  • jbohoh7jbohoh7 Jet Skiing into Atlantis
    edited March 2014 Posts: 65
    You're right BAIN123, it probably wouldn't be right to associate this incident with Bond, but one can't help but think of the Vulcan, right now.

Especially with that big flying circle map plastered all over the news.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I hate buying into conspiracies but with the way the plane has suddenly just vanished, I have a horrible feeling it'll turn up being used as a cruise missile when the search has given up.

God knows what the passengers have gone through.
    It certainly unbearable for the families involved in this, my heart really does go out to them.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I have a terrible fear of this plane being used to fly into an important building somewhere...
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I have a terrible fear of this plane being used to fly into an important building somewhere...

In that case lets hope that the building in question is located in Atlantis.

While I do sincerely hope that the plane has landed somewhere and all the passengers are safe, I doubt that scenario.

I awefully enough hope it is an accident and no some terroristplot, as it would feed more paranoia, as it already does, than we need these days. Too much money is already being allocated towards "security" and not enough towards the aid large groups of humans need these days at home and abroad. There has been spend enough money on weaponary & safety, a small group of people profit from it and the large minority does not.

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I think terrorism can be ruled out. If terrorists hijacked the plane, they would have already done something with the plane by now.

Mechanical failure or pilot suicide seem to be the best choices.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    I think we're facing something never seen before here. :D
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    this plane wasn't transporting a shuttle from Drax Industries was it??..... lol i know i know...

seriously though - not knowing what has happened to a loved one has got to be the worst feeling.. i can't imagine what those families are going through... my heart goes out to them - and my heart would like to believe the passengers are still alive, and the plane was flown off course and landed somewhere..... but the logical side of me paints a very grim outcome...

for all the families involved, i do hope something is found out soon - one way or the other - these families need resolution..
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 2,782
    Looks like the Aussies have thought they have floating wreckage...if true that is awful news for the families..l.really do hope it's been taken over and landed. Doesn't look good.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26659951
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Considering the vastness of the Indian Ocean and the fact that the plane may-or-may-not have flown for another 4 hours chances are pretty slim it will be found. The location of the wreckage the Aussies are exploring is way away. If it is wreckage the plane may have tried to reach Australia, although any trained pilot would know that's impossible to reach. Anyway, let's just hope they find something, at least for the families' sakes.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Reminds somewhat of Thunderball. Plane goes off radar, lands in the ocean and no-one can find it.

This plane I think might be right at the bottom of some deep ocean canyon, where not even Bond could find it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Either that or it will come crashing into some highrise building. China, India, Israel or even Malaysia. The pilot was known as an avid supporter of a Muslim Brotherhood- backed political party in Malaysia. So sorry for the passengers, they are doomed either way. RIP. @};-
  • RC7RC7
    Either that or it will come crashing into some highrise building. China, India, Israel or even Malaysia.

I would say this is highly unlikely. The worst part of this whole protracted process is that more and more silly conspiracy theories are bandied about.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I sincerely hope you are right,@RC7.
    The actual aviation experts do have far better theories and none of them involve a hijack but various scenarios of accidents that could have happened and would have made the plane crash most probable in the sea.
    Considering that this is not the 1st plane to dissapear and never too be found again, there is a big chance we never get an answer what happened.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    As an aviation enthusiast, I've been following this closely since the beginning. Horrible thing to happen.

Let's hope the recent findings outside the coast of Australia will lead to a break-through. The families of those on board need to know what happened.
    The papers are now reporting that the plane flew for 7-8 hours with all on board unconscious after some emergency before it crashed into the sea near Australia. Sad news if true - it's doubtful there would be any survivors if this is the case.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Seems Texan news channel KXAN News need a geography lesson.

I can assure you that Perth the capital of Western Australia, where the search planes are flying from is not in Tasmania.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    New object found on satellite image, 22,5 * 13m in dimensions, southwest of the last findings. Could be the same objects, but probably not due to the sea currents (should be floating east).

I think we'll have confirmed debree soon.
    With spy satellites taking photos of every square meter of this planet every 2 hours, color me suspicious. The U.S. has the capability to read the license plate of a vehicle in complete darkness from 150 miles up, but can't find a passenger plane? What better way to find out the extent of your enemies arsenal than a humanitarian mission.

To the those who feel the plane has landed on an airstrip to subsequently be used at a later date-they would need a landing strip of 5,000+ feet to land and 7,000+ to take off. Boeing sells an app for $100K that would permit this aircraft to be tracked at all times. The additional cost was too much for Indonesia Air.

It would be hard to photograph an airplane on the bottom of the ocean.

And I find the theories for terrorism a bit too cheap as it only will mean more stupid restrictions based upon paranoia, that in the end will solve about nothing but losing a step of democratic freedom every little time.
    SaintMark wrote:
    It would be hard to photograph an airplane on the bottom of the ocean.

And I find the theories for terrorism a bit too cheap as it only will mean more stupid restrictions based upon paranoia, that in the end will solve about nothing but losing a step of democratic freedom every little time.

Well, sadly as past experience tells us in both the UK and the US, that is what invariably happens.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 19,339
    BREAKING NEWS

The Malaysian Prime Minister has confirmed,by satellite images,that MH370 went down into the South Indian Ocean near Perth,and is officially declared as 'lost'.

All relatives have been told.

Not surprising but very sad.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    At last all involved are finally now able to move on.

RIP.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @Dragonpol as possible as it may be (this once happened to a Greek 737 when all airpressure was lost on board and the pilots could not descent in time) it's a bit speculative as, as it seems now, parts have only just been found.

@FLeiter it's Malaysian Airlines. Indonesia is another country.

Reading numberplates from space may be almost possible, it helps if you know where to look. and the Indian Ociean ain't that small at all....

Its still frustrating to not know why the plane was heading towards Australia in the first place...
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,727
    barryt007 wrote:
    BREAKING NEWS

The Malaysian Prime Minister has confirmed,by satellite images,that MH370 went down into the South Indian Ocean near Perth,and is officially declared as 'lost'.

All relatives have been told.

Not surprising but very sad.

Yes, given the way the news reports of late on this tragedy have been headed sadly this was in time only to be expected. My thoughts go out to all those affected by this terrible incident and I hope that at least the bodies of loved ones can be recovered to be given a decent burial and any survivors (doubtful) saved. In any event, I hope closure comes soon for all involved in the search and especially for the relations and friends of those on board Flight MH370. However, be that as it may, there are still many outstanding questions that remain to be answered adequately, chiefly why did Flight MH370 go so far off course?

EDIT: Officially no one survived, sadly:

http://live-updates.news.uk.msn.com/Event/The_mystery_of_flight_MH370
    I'm still under the assumption that there was a terrorist hijacking involved- since the cause of the plane's course deviation is unknown, I'd vouch to say that there was foul play on board. There were Americans on board, after all.