SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't think 'Avatar' should have won, either, especially with how much CG it used. But, I digress and we're now falling off topic.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Award shows are nice and all, but if I can now factually state that Andy Samberg is a Golden Globe winner, then I have no hopes in the awards at all.

Nobody takes the Golden Globes seriously. The nominees and winners are selected by a few dozen easily bribed foreign journalists living in Hollywood. The Academy Awards are completely different, they are voted by about 6000 people who actually work in the industry. You can not simply say that if one award ceremony is a joke than they all are...
    Creasy47 wrote:
    On that topic, how did Deakins manage to lose out on cinematography to 'Life of Pi,' which was mostly CG?

I will tell you how. The nominees in each category are selected by people who are actually familiar with the category. (The cinematography nominees for example are selected only by cinematographers.) The winners on the other hand are selected by the entire membership. Meaning that make up artists, writers, casting directors etc. voted in categories they were not completely familiar with. A non-cinematographer will usually vote for the "prettiest" film in the cinematography category. That's why Life of Pi won the cinematography award.

The American Guild of Cinematographers on the other hand selected Skyfall for ther Best Cinematography winner last year...

(I won't post more Oscar related off-topic thoughts in this thread, I promise! :bz )
    @PanchitoPistoles, don't worry, there are many, many examples of glaringly obvious "WTF" moments in both the Globes (even more irrelevant) and the Academy Awards that have made me less and less interested as the years have gone by. Never honed in on it, but I'm glad that Deakins won through a nomination by lots of other cinematographers! It was well deserved.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 2,015
    The nominees in each category are selected by people who are actually familiar with the category.
    Or even who are familiar with the nominees, but ssshhh :)

More seriously : here in France, we could watch some documentaries and reports on how The Artist ended with 10 nominations (include the DOP one) and 5 Oscars. Sorry for all the Academy Awards fans who think it's a kind of panel of experts, but the truth is that the core of the voters are quite old or very old, 9 out of 10 of the voters are more than 50yo, half are more than 65yo, some have a very thin link to the movie industry, they were member of a guild a long time ago and have not necessarily worked on a set a single day for decades... and many simply don't watch the movies they vote for at the nomination stages, unless Harvey Weinstein send them a chauffeur to go at a private screening near their house.

I can't prove it obviously, but I think many voters never listened to Skyfall's score for instance. I think they voted for the son of Alfred Newman, 9 Oscars wins, and 35 or so nominations.

Also back to the topic : I think Adele is a very important reason why Skyfall ended #1 movie at the French box office. The song was played all over the radios, I heard it several times while buying some foie gras in the shops, it never happened to the other fellows. There are not that many ways to promote movies for a very large audience here, this song was important for that.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I don't want Adele to return for Bond 24 because we've never had an artist/band do two title songs in a row and I don't want them to break the tradition. I wouldn't mind if she returned later on down the line.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I like the SF theme, but it seemed pretty by-the-numbers. I'd rather not have Adele return for Bond24 for (as Mallory would put it) 'the sake of variety'. She is welcome to return down the track, however- and then, I'd like her to deliver something more upbeat and dynamic like a modern GF. Whether the artist or band is male or female, I don't care- but something rockier would be cool. \m/
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, I agree with much of what I am reading. However, if you are the producers it really must be very tempting to go the obvious route of wanting to repeat success and therefore have Adele do the next one. She won an Oscar and other awards and it was a great asset for the film.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 5,767
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    The only thing is the whole 'One Sony' goal where the company would want to use one of the artists they own the label to. Adele matches that. Arctic Monkeys, unfortunately, don't.
    At the time of From Dusk till Dawn, ZZ Top released their song She´s just killing me under two different companies, once on their own album, and once on the film soundtrack. So, where there´s a will, there´s the money.

JWESTBROOK wrote:
    To reiterate that list:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Adele
    Alicia Keys
    Ariana Grande
    Beyonce
    Celine Dion
    Chris Daughtry
    Christina Aguilera
    Daft Punk (likely would be paired with another artist)
    Demi Lovato
    Duran Duran
    Foo Fighters
    Gloria Estefan
    George Michael
    Jennifer Lopez
    John Legend
    John Mayer
    Justin Timberlake
    Katy Perry
    Kings Of Leon
    Leona Lewis
    Mariah Carey
    Natasha Bedingfield
    R. Kelly
    Sade
    Santana (likely would be paired with another artist)
    Shakira
    The Strokes
    Usher

Those were the likely possibilities I picked from the full list, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony_Music_artists
    I´d still take DD any day. Plus, they could use a decent challenge, they´ve been releasing mostly boring stuff on their last two albums.
  • Paloma Faith would be a better bet.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Paloma Faith would be a better bet.

Paloma Faith would be epic!
    On the topic of Deakins, I think the man is a genius. Skyfall has some of the best cinematography in a film ever, and is probably in my ten most aesthetically pleasing films ever. Deakins was robbed of that Oscar.
    I would be surprised if Adele were to return for Bond 24? However I would not object to it, although I fancy a more upbeat kind of tune for the next movie!
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 4,619
    This isn't directly Bond 24 related but it's still something new from Sam Mendes:

Sam Mendes’s 25 Rules for Directors

Funny bits:
    Sam Mendes wrote:
    19. Please remember the Oscars are a TV show.
    and
    Sam Mendes wrote:
    23. On screen, your hero can blow away 500 bad guys, but if he smokes one fucking cigarette, you’re in deep shit.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Exactly. You can also slit a throat, but showing boobs is a nono.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 381
    Foo Fighters would actually be pretty cool.

Van Halen would be great too. I'm pretty sure that DLR is a Bond fan.
    Agreed on the cigarette thing!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Some good tips here, from Mendes.

Others I like include:

"Learn to say, “I don’t know the answer.” It could be the beginning of a very good day’s rehearsal."

"Go to the ancient amphitheater at Epidaurus, in Greece. It makes you realize what you are a part of, and it will change the way you look at the world. If you’re an artist, you will feel central, and you will never feel peripheral again."

and

"Confidence is essential, but ego is not."

Could Epidaurus and other areas in Greece be featured in the next Bond film?
    Could be interesting if those areas were featured in 'Bond 24,' but I wouldn't really go as far as questioning that based off of an unrelated quote.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited March 2014 Posts: 3,157
    If that's true than the producers are complete morons when it comes to the soundtrack. How much of the GE theme was incorporated in the soundtrack of the movie? How about DAD, QOS, TND etc. etc.??? How much James Bond theme did CR or QOS have??? Do the producers have selective memories or are they getting senile? I love what they have done with the Bond franchise since 2006 but that doesn't mean I will agree with their every decision.

TND, DAD and CR used Bond theme a lot; Arnold did a great job with CR because he used the theme many times (eight if I recall well), and yet you can barely notice, and each time at the right moment, until the full orchestral theme at the end .
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Could be interesting if those areas were featured in 'Bond 24,' but I wouldn't really go as far as questioning that based off of an unrelated quote.

If it means something to Mendes it makes sense for him to perhaps feature it in a film. That was my thinking. There is no saying which film that would be or even if it would at all, though.
    This isn't directly Bond 24 related but it's still something new from Sam Mendes:

Sam Mendes’s 25 Rules for Directors

Funny bits:
    Sam Mendes wrote:
    19. Please remember the Oscars are a TV show.
    and
    Sam Mendes wrote:
    23. On screen, your hero can blow away 500 bad guys, but if he smokes one fucking cigarette, you’re in deep shit.

Daniel Craig and Judi Dench singing "Cabaret", I would pay to see that!

Did anyone notice he has recently learned how to ski /:) A lot of people seem to be going on ski trips lately.
    Ski Trips and Greece... I would be fine with both...

However and I KNOW this is a huge stretch but how would people here react to Bond 24 being an adaption of Colonel Sun... I know so close after Skyfall however Logan has said the themes of Skyfall will crop up again and Mallory was kidnaped by the IRA perhaps these elments plus quantum = Colonel Sun in 2015????

I doubt this is the case but I would love it.
    Just for the record, and no offense to the quite honorable @Samuel001, but the Greece feature is too far a stretch for even me to make it the topic of discussion. It would be a great idea similar to what we last saw with Craig at the Opera in QOS. But its a quote from something completely unrelated to Bond.

Besides, Greece doesn't really have any glamor or charm to attract a Bond film these days.

Skiing on the other hand.. it is quite interesting for Craig to take up the sport just as he is likely to start getting back into his 'Bond regimen' diet and exercise.
    @KWESTBROOK I'm afraid I wasn't clear in my comment, Mendes recently took to skiing, not Craig (at least not that I know of).
    Sandy wrote:
    @KWESTBROOK I'm afraid I wasn't clear in my comment, Mendes recently took to skiing, not Craig (at least not that I know of).

DAMN!
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 9,694
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Some good tips here, from Mendes.

Others I like include:

"Learn to say, “I don’t know the answer.” It could be the beginning of a very good day’s rehearsal."

"Go to the ancient amphitheater at Epidaurus, in Greece. It makes you realize what you are a part of, and it will change the way you look at the world. If you’re an artist, you will feel central, and you will never feel peripheral again."

and

"Confidence is essential, but ego is not."

Could Epidaurus and other areas in Greece be featured in the next Bond film?

With the current political and economic situation, I am not sure it is feasible. I'd love to see it though.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    That was a brilliant list by Mendes! The man has quite a mind.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 203
    Great list by Mendes! I wonder if cricket would be featured in Bond 24? It almost made it to CR. Also, how do you guys think Bond 24 will be personal for Mendes ... i.e. Skyfall - about his middle age and mortality? Could Bond 24 be about his retirement? falling in love? ... interesting times ahead!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Retirement for Bond? No. Craig is still going on to do at least one more after Bond 24. As for falling in love, again no. 2 out of the 3 movies Craig has done has been based on the fact that he fell in love and the ramifications of him doing so. The man needs to breathe, strut and have some fun.