Rank the Spielbergs

edited March 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,400
This is fairly simple: rank Steven Spielberg's 33 directorial works (or the ones you've seen, at least). Surprised nobody's done a thread like this for Spielberg, Kubrick, Hitchcock, et al.

My ranking:

33: Firelight (the three minutes of it that exists, at least)
32: Slipstream
31: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
30: Always
29: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
28: Something Evil
27: War of the Worlds
26: 1941
25: Amblin'
24: The Lost World: Jurassic Park
23: Twilight Zone: The Movie
22: Hook
21: The Adventures of Tintin
20: War Horse
19: A.I.: Artificial Intelligence
18: Amistad
17: Close Encounters of the Third Kind
16: The Terminal
15: E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
14: Catch Me if You Can
13: The Color Purple
12: Lincoln
11: Duel
10: Jurassic Park
9: Empire of the Sun
8: Jaws
7: Saving Private Ryan
6: The Sugarland Express
5: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
4: Schindler's List
3: Munich*
2: Minority Report
1: Raiders of the Lost Ark*

An * indicates a film I would call the best of its' year.

27 - 33 range from bad to abysmal.

20 - 26 range from good to mediocre.

12 - 19 range from excellent to great.

7 - 11 are all heavily inspired pieces of cinema.

1 - 6 are among the most artistically fulfilled pieces of film in the history of the medium.

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited March 2014 Posts: 40,372
    Sadly, I've seen a little under half of his work.

15.) 'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull'
    14.) 'The Lost World: Jurassic Park'
    13.) 'A.I.: Artificial Intelligence'
    12.) 'Jurassic Park'
    11.) 'Minority Report'
    10.) 'War of the Worlds'
    9.) 'The Terminal'
    8.) 'Lincoln'
    7.) 'Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom'
    6.) 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade'
    5.) 'Schindler's List'
    4.) 'Raiders of the Last Ark'
    3.) 'Jaws'
    2.) 'Saving Private Ryan'
    1.) 'Munich' (My favorite film of all time.)
    To be honest, I am cheating with Slipstream, which I only saw about a third of before giving up on it.
    At least you've seen a lot more than I have! There's still a few of his films I've really meant to get around to, like 'The Adventures of Tintin,' 'War Horse,' and 'Amadeus.'
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    1. Jurassic Park
    2. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    3. Saving Private Ryan

I'm indifferent and enjoy the rest.
    I don't think we will ever get another war film the likes of 'Saving Private Ryan' gave us.
    I don't think Spielberg had any involvement in Amadeus, did he?

Well, in any case, I made this thread for only films that he directed; he certainly has been producer or writer on countless more than just 33 films.
    I meant 'Amistad.' I read so many 'A-' titles in the past few minutes that I didn't mean to type that, haha.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I meant 'Amistad.' I read so many 'A-' titles in the past few minutes that I didn't mean to type that, haha.

that said Amadeus is still worth watching. ;)

Amistad is a very unSpielberg kind of movie and has some moments that are really hard to look at.

I have seen most of the Spielberg and most never failed to entertain me or woo me.

I'm happy to see at least one ranking that puts 'Munich' high up on the list. That movie is total perfection to my eyes.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I often forget Amistad is a Spielberg film, actually. There are times I want to forget that Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a Spielberg film.
    LIKE:
    War of the Worlds
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    Always
    Jurassic Park
    The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    Hook
    The Adventures of Tintin
    Amistad
    A.I.: Artificial Intelligence
    War Horse
    Schindler's List
    Minority Report
    Munich
    Saving Private Ryan
    Jaws
    Empire of the Sun
    Duel
    E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
    Catch Me if You Can
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    The Color Purple
    The Terminal
    The Sugarland Express

HAVE SEEN ONCE & HAS BEEN ENOUGH
    Twilight Zone: The Movie

NEVER EVEN HEARD OF
    Firelight (the three minutes of it that exists, at least)
    Slipstream
    Something Evil
    Amblin'

YET TOO SEE
    Lincoln

I haven't seen most of his films, but my favorites that I have include Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Last Crusade, Hook (sue me), Jurassic Park, A.I., and Lincoln.
    I often forget Amistad is a Spielberg film, actually. There are times I want to forget that Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a Spielberg film.

There are times I want to forget that 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' was a film.
    From best to worst:

THE GREAT
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Schindler's List
    Jurassic Park
    Catch Me If You Can
    Empire of the Sun

THE GOOD
    Munich
    Saving Private Ryan
    Minority Report
    War of the Worlds
    The Adventures of Tintin
    Amistad

THE MEDIOCRE
    Lincoln
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
    Jaws
    The Color Purple

THE BAD
    War Horse
    The Terminal
    Duel
    Always
    The Sugarland Express

THE UGLY
    Hook
    A.I. Artificial Intelligence
    @PanchitoPistoles, 'the good' = 'Munich'? Tsk tsk tsk...
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 4,619
    Creasy47 wrote:

Well, it's at the top of "THE GOOD" list which means I think Munich is nearly great. ;) It's definitely a very strong movie and a bit unusual for Spielberg.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Well, it's at the top of "THE GOOD" list which means I think Munich is nearly great. ;)

Well, I suppose that's good enough for me :-).

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    LOVE:
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Jurassic Park
    Hook
    Jaws
    Duel

That's all I'll say.

• RC7RC7
    I don't rank films, but I'll always put Jaws as his best. It's a work of genius. I think Jurassic Park is one of the most underrated films of all time, most directors will never ever reach the heights of this film.
    RC7 wrote:
    I don't rank films, but I'll always put Jaws as his best. It's a work of genius. I think Jurassic Park is one of the most underrated films of all time, most directors will never ever reach the heights of this film.

I hadn't seen 'Jaws' since I was a kid until about six months ago, and after I rewatched it with an older mind, I fell in love. It stands the test of time and still manages to scare the hell out of me.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,687
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I hadn't seen 'Jaws' since I was a kid until about six months ago, and after I rewatched it with an older mind, I fell in love. It stands the test of time and still manages to scare the hell out of me.
    And like Brosnan, Spielberg thought his work flawed.

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I haven't seen them all but the only ones that I didn't like were The Lost World and Crystal Skull. The rest range from absolutely brilliant to average. Raiders will always be my all time favorite Spielberg film.
    Perhaps I'm being unfair with The Lost World. I've only seen it once and I was so disappointed that I've never given it another chance.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    RC7 wrote:

Wholeheartedly agree with you on that one @RC7. I've always put 'Jaws' as a personal favourite, and struggle to choose between this and Lawrence Of Arabia.
    Spielberg's Jaws is a near perfect film (imo). A truly remarkable film that I can enjoy again and again. I still jump when the head pops out of the sunken boat, even though I know it's coming. The casting, the music, the pacing, the characters. I love this film so much.
    Duel is a worthy mention, and is hugely enjoyable. Raiders, Saving Private Ryan, Last Crusade, Schindler's List, Munich, ET and Catch Me If You Can are my Spielberg favourites. And the aforementioned Jurassic Park. I think only Steven Spielberg could've done that film justice. It's an epic movie, with similar tension to Jaws, but not quite as good. Almost though.

@Benny, the head popping out of the sunken boat always gets me, too, but I think the subtle scares are what really frighten me, like when the instructor who's in the water with Brody's kids gets knocked off his raft, and as he swims back, you see Jaws swimming sideways towards him. It's just so creepy to me.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I really liked War of the Worlds. I've always felt that it is underrated. Perhaps it's just the ending (as it feels very, uhm, abrupt) that has any kind of tainting effect...

But overall, it stays true to the source, and it's great Spielberg entertainment as always.
    Jaws and Raiders will always be the best of Spielberg's films IMO. They're both as close to perfection as possible.
    Jaws and Raiders will always be the best of Spielberg's films IMO. They're both as close to perfection as possible.

...and 'Munich'!!! I would wholeheartedly suggest this movie to anyone who has yet to see it.

ET & Close Encounters do rate just as high for me.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Call me sentimental but, being a child of the 80s, ET is my favourite Spielberg. I may not necessarily be the best Spielberg ever, but it's the one for which I have the warmest sympathies. Truth be told, ET always puts tears in my eyes.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Call me sentimental but, being a child of the 80s, ET is my favourite Spielberg. I may not necessarily be the best Spielberg ever, but it's the one for which I have the warmest sympathies. Truth be told, ET always puts tears in my eyes.

I do second that sentiment, but I consider it one of Spielbergs better movies and certainly very influential in the scifi genre.