Liam Neeson as 007

edited March 2014 in News Posts: 7,653
Liam Neeson Almost Played James Bond, But Natasha Richardson Wanted To Get Married Instead

Liam Neeson seems like an obvious choice to play James Bond: He's searing but likable, rugged but dapper -- everything we associate with the likes of Sean Connery and Daniel Craig. So why didn't he ever portray 007? Because Natasha Richardson wanted to get married.

Neeson told the U.K.'s Hull Daily Mail that the late actress, to whom he was married for 15 years before her untimely death in 2009, told him he could either take the role as Bond or they could get hitched. It must have been true love, because Neeson chose the latter.

“It was about 18 or 19 years ago and my wife-to-be said, ‘If you play James Bond we’re not getting married!’ And I had to take that on board, because I did want to marry her," he said.

That time frame would have put him in consideration for 1995's "GoldenEye," the first of four Bond installments that instead starred Pierce Brosnan. Neeson didn't explain exactly why Richardson wasn't okay with them getting married and Neeson playing Bond (men can lean in, too, you know?), but at least it didn't require him to be away from his family for the multiple arcs that Bond actors often devote to the franchise. And we know it didn't harm his career -- he'd just come off an Oscar nomination for "Schindler's List," and he's since become a box office star with roles in "Star Wars," "The Chronicles of Narnia" and the sleeper hit "Taken."

Other actors considered for Bond have included Josh Brolin, Mel Gibson, Sam Neill and Sean Bean.
(hull daily mail)

Not sure If I would have liked it had Brosnan never played 007, but Neeson would have been an interesting choice.

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Feinnes would have been better. Just imagine him with the look he had for the English patient, coupled with his comparatively superior acting skills to both Brosnan and Neeson. Maybe the casting if Feinnes would have facilitated the involvement of better writers and directors too. Maybe.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    doubleoego wrote:
    Feinnes would have been better. Just imagine him with the look he had for the English patient, coupled with his comparatively superior acting skills to both Brosnan and Neeson. Maybe the casting if Feinnes would have facilitated the involvement of better writers and directors too. Maybe.

http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=11280&t=mi6&s=news ;)
    I loved Feinnes in The English Patient, and that portrayal did raise my interest in him as the Harry Potters tore it down again.

But indeed he was once considered for the role.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Murdock wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=11280&t=mi6&s=news ;)

I don't believe that for a second. Feinnes is just being diplomatic and respectful. In fact, out of all the 6 actors to have been cast as Bond I think Connery is the only one who hasn't criticised, critiqued or questioned his own performances in the role.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Feinnes and Neeson would have been great but then so would many actors.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think Liam would have made a fine Bond. But it was not to be. I wouldn't want Goldeneye or TND with anyone but Pierce, though. So I am happy with how it turned out. I can picture Liam as Bond; but I really cannot picture Feinnes as Bond, no.
    Gibson as James Bond... I could use a laugh...

Not too keen on Neeson ever appearing as the great iconic character. Just doesn't feel right..

Although Ralph Fiennes is a good shout, and even then, made his way into the franchise in another capacity..

But as others have stated, wouldn't swap with Brosnan for the time of Goldeneye

Not sure If I would have liked it had Brosnan never played 007, but Neeson would have been an interesting choice.[/quote]
    I agree with you with that.
    Liam Neeson could had play it will great. I remember before LTK he appeared in Clint Eastwood last Dirty Harry Movie Dead Pool. Remember Him in the A-Team. He was rumoured for The Equalizer but never was approached. He rumoured to be contender of the movie version The Professionals where Jason Straham The Transporter/Italian Job but nothing said about that movie yet.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    He would have been a great choice for The Equalizer.
  • Liam Neeson was still considered by Kevin McClory for playing 007 in his proposed Thunderball re-remake, according to an article online which argued that Timothy Dalton was too close to the Broccoli family to choose to play Bond again in a rival film. I can't post the link right now but the article narrowed it down to Jason Connery and Neeson as the most likely to play 007 and with Sean Connery playing Blofeld.

Never say McClory again...he's the reason why OHMSS was not made first instead of YOLT....oh the agony! OHMSS has not had it's closure or justice done for it to this day!
    I think Feinnes would have made a great Bond and I wish he had gotten the role instead of the "People's Choice" Brosnan.

Now, I think he will do just fine as the new "M".

• Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm not sure if Neeson has the Bond in him. Or I might be wrong.
  • Forget Neeson. He's got his movies which many people like. Good. But I hope the producers learned not to use People's Choice anymore after Brosnan. His own career suffered too.
    Liam Neeson as the Bond? I cannot conjure up that image! He has been a good actor, but as the Bond?
    Neeson would have been a great Bond. Dalton obviously would have been my first choice for the role in GE, but Neeson has always been one of the small handful of actors I would have preferred to see take over the role back in the 1990s.
  • Some things I've just happened to find in common with many active members here which I wouldn't have expected but agree with:

GE would have been better with Dalton and was not a serious film.

GF and TB are somewhat overrated in their humble opinions.

Pierce Brosnan was simply the People's Choice but not a professionally fit choice. Most Bonds are lesser known actors who are undiscovered but talented (Moore and Brosnan fall into the same exception category).

I should speak for myself but I feep that these facts are overlooked by the overhyping media. Then the producers have to put many of their original ideas on hold because they think audiences want a completely formulated film. Craig was supposed to be his own Bond, not a Connery clone.
    He might have been able to pull it off, but I can't imagine it myself. I think Neeson is an excellent actor and I enjoy a lot of his work, but I don't necessarily think he would have been a great Bond.
  • XXXXXX Banned
    He would of been a brillaint Bond
    ^^^Nice video. I remember watching Taken the first time and thinking throughout that Neeson would have done rather well as Bond.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I think that he would have made a better Bond villain than 007 himself but he's a great actor and probably could have pulled it off.
  • pachazo wrote:
    I think that he would have made a better Bond villain than 007 himself but he's a great actor and probably could have pulled it off.

No scar or glass jaw needed to boost his talent as a villain.
    XXX wrote:
    He would of been a brillaint Bond

Great trailer! I think if Neeson had have landed the 007 role? I think they would have still chosen the more serious tone that Dalton went down the road with.
    Neeson would be a 50/50 choice for me,i just dont think he has the Bond presence or look to me.
  • XXXXXX Banned
    edited March 2014 Posts: 132
    Is there still time for Neeson to do it? Bond at twilight years, finding a new wife, cello, violen, piano, ancient flute-busting tunes while he tortures his way to the truth, Any one else see it so clearly as me?
    XXX wrote:
    Is there still time for Neeson to do it? Bond at twilight years, finding a new wife, cello, violen, piano, ancient flute-busting tunes while he tortures his way to the truth, Any one else see it so clearly as me?

Nope,i dont think he would have been right in the first place.