Goofs/Mistakes in the Bond Movies

edited August 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 4,762
After watching Thunderball, I noticed many goofs throughout, mostly dealing with audio problems, like voice dubbing. For instance, when Bond and Felix are flying around over Palmyra in the helicopter, Bond says, "We don't have much time." Felix replies, "No, James, we haven't." However, when he says "haven't", his mouth moves "don't." And another one comes when Largo boards the Disco Volante and says, "At least we've still got one bomb aboard." His mouth practically never moves, except for maybe two words. Anyway, what are some you've noticed?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Goofs like these are all throughout the earlier films, even later ones in places I'm sure. I always enjoy seeing them because it gives the film charm and sticks with you.
    Goofs like these are all throughout the earlier films, even later ones in places I'm sure. I always enjoy seeing them because it gives the film charm and sticks with you.
    Yeah, the '60s Bond movies are notorious for audio/dubbing goofs. They're really fun to spot though!
    Bond movie goofs and errors, this could be one hell of a long list :-??

I'd like to start with Moonraker but the Titanic would reach New York before I get to a finish

I always remember years back when I first saw Diamonds are Forever and the car goes through a one way street on two wheels and comes out the other side on the other set, haven't seen that scene for ages now but apparently it does make sense, Connery went over another bit and swapped sides or something

got to, have to, mention the start of Moonraker and having a fully fuelled shuttle on the back of a 747 being carried in mid air

One or two of the guards killed in Goldeneye seemed to make a appearance later in the film

Jack Wade warns Bond about Trevelyan knowing that he is coming, since Bond and Natalya blew up with the armored train (or so he believed) , how could be possibly be expecting him

the lists are endless
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    The grand daddy of them all.

GF - "Three more ticks..."

007 is showing on the bomb.
    The pen explosive seems an obvious bit when the actions on but not to many people are going to notice it, anyone with a keen eye for detail will instantly recognize that both Q and the computer nerd spend more than three/four seconds between clicks and the pen stays in one piece

The grand daddy of them all.

GF - "Three more ticks..."

007 is showing on the bomb.
    Yes, that one puzzeled me for some time, until one of the members here cleared it up in another thread sitting around here somewhere. Apparently the bomb was to originally stop at 003 seconds, but the directors wanted to change it to 007, of course. However, they accidently left Connery's line in the finished film.
    Also the DN cock-up when the SPECTRE agents in the boat are shouting at Bond to give himself up through the loudspeaker,and when he finishes he turns to his men and says 'full steam ahead' still in the loudspeaker voice when he isn't even using it anymore.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2011 Posts: 15,686
    Severnaya is not located where the map in the facility indicates. (GE)
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 11,189
    There are quite a lot of goofs in GE (none of them are THAT obtrusive though IMO).

Adding to the GF goof the number of ticks the timer makes vs what the clock actually says makes no sense what so ever.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    There are quite a lot of goofs in GE (none of them are THAT obtrusive though IMO).
    I didn't say that - I enjoy GE a lot ( or is it alot ?).
    It's "a lot" ;)
    Thanks. :) Another goof would be the entire Ouromov/Alec thing in the facility... The blank bullet makes no sense.
  • One from DN, after 007 has been taken "For a ride" by Mr Jones. Anyway they are having a scuffle, Bond goes to give him a right hander, quick change of angle and hits him with his left.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 4,813
    The pen explosive seems an obvious bit when the actions on but not to many people are going to notice it, anyone with a keen eye for detail will instantly recognize that both Q and the computer nerd spend more than three/four seconds between clicks and the pen stays in one piece

That always bugged me-particularly in Q's lab
    'three clicks arms the fuse' so Bond sits there and clicks it three times! What the hell are you doing, Bond??? I didn't even see them click it again- that's the weird part. Was Bond using one of his own regular pens perhaps just to scare Q? Wouldn't put it past him...

That always bugged me-particularly in Q's lab
    'three clicks arms the fuse' so Bond sits there and clicks it three times! What the hell are you doing, Bond??? I didn't even see them click it again- that's the weird part. Was Bond using one of his own regular pens perhaps just to scare Q? Wouldn't put it past him...

No, it's the explosive pen. Q clicks it 3 times to disarm it when he grabs it from Bond's hand. But you are correct - there is more than 3 seconds from the moment Bond clicks 3 times and Q disarms it.
  • Bond movie goofs and errors, this could be one hell of a long list :-??

I always remember years back when I first saw Diamonds are Forever and the car goes through a one way street on two wheels and comes out the other side on the other set, haven't seen that scene for ages now but apparently it does make sense, Connery went over another bit and swapped sides or something
    Yeah, it does switch sides, it drives up a second ramp not long after the first one (Although this could just be on the Ultimate Edition Dvd's or something, because i have noticed people mentioning the same "mistake" several times...)

• ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    How about the Russians using the American Hercules in TLD?

DN: 'You've had your six.' Apparently Dent fires more than 6 shots? Plus earlier in that scene when Connery is putting the silencer on his gun his tie disappears.

Also the shadow of the tarantula on the piece of glass as it crawls over his shoulder.

I have an issue with Moonraker. The glass blowing place in Venice is assembling the poison capsules that are shipped to the secret launch facility in South America. Bond gets a sample of the poison and it leads him to the area where the rare plant is found. In south america.

So if the plant is in south America and the shuttles are in south America then why the hell ship the plants all the way to europe to put them in the glass things? Why not just do it all in south America?!!! If you have the infrastructure to secretly launch multiple space shuttles from a jungle I think you could do the plant-glass assembly there as well!
    One from DN, after 007 has been taken "For a ride" by Mr Jones. Anyway they are having a scuffle, Bond goes to give him a right hander, quick change of angle and hits him with his left.
    Yes, this one is pretty funny! It's so obvious, you'd think they would have edited that.
    I just remembered from AVTAK when Moore is attacked by Mayday and put in the back with Tibbitt and pushed into the lake the windows are rolled down, but when Moore comes to in the submerged car the windows are closed and he makes his escape, sure that's how it was, haven't seen the film for a while.

And it's blatantly not Moore who jumps on to the Eiffel Tower elevator or lands on the wedding boat on the Seine river, or is even seen in that half car wreck. I realize Rog was 57 years old at the time of filming but the stunt doubles did seem a bit obvious

• Can I nominate the GE soundtrack except for the title song? Never mind...

Tough call because both the Bond/Jones fight and the OO7/3 seconds line are pretty glaring. I'll go with Bond vs Jones because I expect more from Terence Young than from Guy Hamilton.
    I just remembered from AVTAK when Moore is attacked by Mayday and put in the back with Tibbitt and pushed into the lake the windows are rolled down, but when Moore comes to in the submerged car the windows are closed and he makes his escape, sure that's how it was, haven't seen the film for a while.

And it's blatantly not Moore who jumps on to the Eiffel Tower elevator or lands on the wedding boat on the Seine river, or is even seen in that half car wreck. I realize Rog was 57 years old at the time of filming but the stunt doubles did seem a bit obvious

Yeah, throughout that whole scene, I could visibly pick out Roger's stunt double, especially when the taxi gets cut in half. It's most obvious on that part!
    From the outset the series was rife with goofs and editing issues. For example in FRWL, after the truck Bond hides in is damaged by a grenade, in a later shot the front end is completely clean. Oddjob's Lincoln has no motor when it is hoisted into the car crusher.
    Tires squeal when Lazenby races his Aston across the beach.
    I seem to remember in 69's On Her Majestys Secret Service during the pre credits, that Lazenby follows Rigg to the beach, she goes into the sea, Bond is a fair distance away and starts running and in the very next shot he's in the water also

haven't seen this movie in a while but it's one bit I can recall

Also, when Bond and one of the other guys are fighting they are on the water line and next moment about ten meters out into the ocean

I hold my hands up and say I watched Moonraker again recently from start to finish, asking to point out errors in this episode in a tall order but I was wondering why Bond was wearing his wrist dart in outer space, I'm certain he wasn't in possession of it once he left earth, i.e. before the shuttle took off, he just seemed to conveniently have it on at the exact moment it was necessary, and how did Bond know that Drax was in one of the shuttles taking off when it was never mentioned to him, he just seemed to take Goodhead with him and blast off for no apparent reason

Maybe I've missed something after the beatings my senses took after so many viewings, but I still enjoy watching, so much going on and it is a fun ride if totally inplausible

Another one I noticed is in OHMSS when Tracy and Bond are driving in the car race trying to escape Irma Bunt, and Tracy says, "James, how do we get out?" When she says this, her mouth never even moves.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 612
    Huge mistake in Die Another Day - Frost cuts Jinx in the stomach during the sword fight, yet the scar is gone when Jinx and Bond share an intimate moment at the end of the movie, 30 seconds later. Horrible movie, laughable mistake. Noticed it when I saw it in theatres. Jinx must be Jesus.
    @FromCanadaWithLove: Yeah, that one is really pathetic!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yeah, I always watch Boris clicking the pen, trying to count the clicks. Even when Q shows off the pen to Bond, he clicks it three times and waits much longer than needed.

In DAD, the ice chandelier that Bond shoots lands nowhere near Zao, yet it kills him, anyway.
    Thanks. :) Another goof would be the entire Ouromov/Alec thing in the facility... The blank bullet makes no sense.
    I always thought he just shot slightly to the right of Alec's head, to make it appear as though he'd shot him. Not necessarily a blank bullet.

But who knows, one of the best bond movies all around.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 1,817
    I have to say something. Bond films certainly are full of goofs and mistakes. But we - as fans- have to thank EON for their respect to the movies by making no changes in the releases.
    You will know I'm refering to the case of Star Wars and the never-ending and insulting modifications of George Lucas.
    So, thank you, Mr Wilson and Ms Broccoli!