SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

Was Kevin Spacey considered for Skyfall? I thought they wrote the role with Javier Bardem in mind.
    Kevin Spacey has been eyed for a Bond film for many years. Isn't that why there's that line in American Beauty about missing the James Bond marathon?

I think he is far more likely than Beale simply for him being overwhelmingly popular with House Of Cards right now.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Ludovico wrote:
    Was Kevin Spacey considered for Skyfall? I thought they wrote the role with Javier Bardem in mind.

No but this is because the time frames did not match up.

http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/pda/news/index.php3?itemid=9297

In 2009 he said "I would love to play the villain in Bond, but they haven't called yet."

Both could well appear in the next Bond film.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Kevin Spacey has been eyed for a Bond film for many years. Isn't that why there's that line in American Beauty about missing the James Bond marathon?

I think he is far more likely than Beale simply for him being overwhelmingly popular with House Of Cards right now.

Popular and busy. Somehow I don't think he will do it just now. And I know that Spacey wanted to play a Bond villain, but not sure he was in the producers' mind. The American Beauty line is rather thin as evidence.
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/film-tv/news/logan-bond-24-draft-almost-ready-30069042.html

now we have actual new on Bond 24

James Bond screenwriter John Logan has revealed that the draft script for the next film is "almost done".
    Risico007 wrote:
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/film-tv/news/logan-bond-24-draft-almost-ready-30069042.html

now we have actual new on Bond 24

James Bond screenwriter John Logan has revealed that the draft script for the next film is "almost done".

We've been on this from two pages ago. Hence the title. All this article is but a rephrasing of the Empire interview. No real 'real' news.
    I didn't know a Draft was nearly DONE till just now!
    shouldn't we all be excited the draft is nearly done?
    I would have thought Logan would be further on by now as he pitched the idea in June 2012. It's taken him a long time to get around to writing it though he's had Penny Dreadful to write as well.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I would have thought Logan would be further on by now as he pitched the idea in June 2012. It's taken him a long time to get around to writing it though he's had Penny Dreadful to write as well.

"First draft" can mean anything. He obviously has written a treatment and started writing a draft from there. I'm sure he has completed a screenplay but is making it the best he could before turning it in. I'm in film school right now and I'm told the term "first draft" is used only for the draft that the studio execs see first, not necessarily the first draft you've written.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    bondbat007 wrote:
    "First draft" can mean anything. He obviously has written a treatment and started writing a draft from there. I'm sure he has completed a screenplay but is making it the best he could before turning it in. I'm in film school right now and I'm told the term "first draft" is used only for the draft that the studio execs see first, not necessarily the first draft you've written.

Exactly. I finished a script for my movie. As it sits It's currently the rough draft. But once my friends give me feedback on it, I can begin polishing it up. Remove scenes that don't ad to the story, make a few changes to scenes here and there. I'm sure Logan is getting feedback from the EON staff, Mendes and Craig and he's making appropriate changes.
  • RC7RC7
    Risico007 wrote:
    shouldn't we all be excited the draft is nearly done?

No. The first draft will resemble about 10% of the final movie, if he's lucky. Some themes and plot will remain consistent but the script itself will be unrecognisable by the time they shoot.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Not to mention some sort of fashioned script was shopped around in Cannes prior to EoN getting a commitment from Mendes to return.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Was Logan always going to script Bond 24, or did he only do so after Mendes became committed to the project?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    He was always committed.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    doubleoego wrote:
    He was always committed.

Interesting. I wonder how Mendes' involvement altered the script, if at all. Though, isn't the idea they are running with the one Logan and Mendes thought up together?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Seeing how Machiavellian Spacey is in House of Cards I would be most intrigued to see him play a Bond villain.

I know he's a big name but when he's on form he's dynamite, I think it's a possibility after Bardem an Oscar winning actor having been in Skyfall plus his connection with Mendes.
    doubleoego wrote:
    He was always committed.

Interesting. I wonder how Mendes' involvement altered the script, if at all. Though, isn't the idea they are running with the one Logan and Mendes thought up together?

He pitched the story to EON but there is no doubt, Mendes has his say to.

http://m.deadline.com/2012/10/gladiator-scribe-john-logan-to-write-next-two-james-bond-films
    Samuel001 wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    He was always committed.

He pitched the story to EON but there is no doubt, Mendes has his say to.

http://m.deadline.com/2012/10/gladiator-scribe-john-logan-to-write-next-two-james-bond-films

How reliable are the claims that Logan is preparing a two-story arc for Bond 24/25? I know we've discussed the possibility here previously, but I never heard any kind of confirmation about it. I'd love to see a two story arc, as it is basically a fixture of the Craig films at this point to have each film connected to the last (much less so with Skyfall though).
    I'd love to see a two story arc, as it is basically a fixture of the Craig films at this point to have each film connected to the last (much less so with Skyfall though).
    SF isn´t connected at all to CR or QOS, and QOS was only halfway connected to CR (story-wise yes, style-wise not at all).

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2014 Posts: 4,416
    I vergot to say that Mark Sanger who won Oscar for Editing Gravity also work 3 times on James Bond movie earlier. As assistent editor for Tomorrow Never Dies, The World Is Not Enough and as visual effects editor for Die Another Day. Other examples where he work as assistent editor be The Mummy and The Mummy Returns. Stuard Baid return as editor and he return as assistent editor for Bond 24 ?
    boldfinger wrote:
    I'd love to see a two story arc, as it is basically a fixture of the Craig films at this point to have each film connected to the last (much less so with Skyfall though).
    SF isn´t connected at all to CR or QOS, and QOS was only halfway connected to CR (story-wise yes, style-wise not at all).

I think Skyfall is very much linked to CR and QoS, just not in the traditional ways you'd think about. Characters like Bond and M have developed since we saw them in CR, which definitely connects how they develop in Skyfall to their very first introductions (for the era) in CR for me.
    boldfinger wrote:

I think Skyfall is very much linked to CR and QoS, just not in the traditional ways you'd think about. Characters like Bond and M have developed since we saw them in CR, which definitely connects how they develop in Skyfall to their very first introductions (for the era) in CR for me.

In a way, SF, although a standalone story, is more connected to CR and QOS than GF was to the two previous movies.
    M_Balje wrote:
    I vergot to say that Mark Sanger who won Oscar for Editing Gravity also work 3 times on James Bond movie earlier. As assistent editor for Tomorrow Never Dies, The World Is Not Enough and as visual effects editor for Die Another Day. Other examples where he work as assistent editor be The Mummy and The Mummy Returns. Stuard Baid return as editor and he return as assistent editor for Bond 24 ?

People who win an Oscar for Editing don't really go on to work as assistant editors... By the way, I hope the Stuart Baird + Kate Baird team returns.

Shardlake wrote:
    Seeing how Machiavellian Spacey is in House of Cards I would be most intrigued to see him play a Bond villain.

I know he's a big name but when he's on form he's dynamite, I think it's a possibility after Bardem an Oscar winning actor having been in Skyfall plus his connection with Mendes.

SF had probably more A-list talent on board than any other Bond film, and it was arguably the most successful Bond film ever made. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not. But either way, I suspect Miccoli will stick with the formula and pack B24 with A-list talent, too.

• //How reliable are the claims that Logan is preparing a two-story arc for Bond 24/25? I know we've discussed the possibility here previously, but I never heard any kind of confirmation about it. I'd love to see a two story arc, as it is basically a fixture of the Craig films at this point to have each film connected to the last (much less so with Skyfall though).//

MGM's CEO said in November 2012 on an investor call that Logan had been hired to write Bond 24 and 25. Nothing was said that it'd be a two-part story.

In February 2013, some months after the original Deadline story about a two-part story arc was published, Baz B. of the Daily Mail had a story saying the two-part story arc plan "has been jettisoned and Bond 24 and 25 will be stand-alone pictures." according to that story.

As noted previously, both outlets had scoops proven correct about Skyfall.

• RC7RC7
    edited March 2014 Posts: 10,512
    I don't believe 24 & 25 will be connected. There's nothing to suggest Mendes will return for a third time, so it would be peculiar for him to start a story, but not finish it.
    I really could see him returning for a third time - maybe much sooner, in 2017, actually. To me, Logan and Mendes seem a team that won't be broken. Then a new writer and director will be brought on board for the film afterwards.
    I don't mind if Bond 24 and 25 are somewhat connected but I absolutely do want them to work as stand alone movies. A don't want a repeat of a CR&QOS situation.