The Matrix (1999 - present)

QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
edited October 2021 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,812
I figure this could be a thread for all things Matrix, movies, books/comics, video games, etc. This is also for a possible new trilogy that may come in the form of a prequel sometime around 2017.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/03/05/the-new-matrix-trilogy-could-launch-in-2017.aspx

The Wachowskis have stated that they want to return to the Matrix, so this could be it.

***UPDATE***
Dusting off this old thread for the new movie coming out!

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited March 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I loved the first Matrix sooooooo much! It was awesome and innovative and just great. The next two really disappointed me. How can they do a prequel? Well, sure, yeah I guess filmmakers can always do that somehow now. Keanu couldn't reasonably be in it though, unless they explore his character's "normal" life before all that happened.

Not excited. I can understand the filmmakers wanting to go back to that, though. I cannot even remember if they made any good films after the Matrix - did they?
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 4,418
    Interesting. Although after the last two Matrixes films, I won't hold my breath.

@4EverBonded - they wrote "V for Vendetta"
    Sweet deity and some more poor prequels/sequels as if we needed them.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited March 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Well, I just read the article and this part (copied below) interests me - and now I want to see The Animatrix, which I have not (have any of you? I bet you have.)

Tapping into The Animatrix
    Four of the films in The Animatrix were written by the Wachowskis, and featured the animation work of some of the top names in Japanese anime, such as Yoshiaki Kawajiri (Ninja Scroll), Mahiro Maeda (Blue Submarine No. 6), and Shinichirō Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop). The anthology offered a much clearer view of The Matrix universe than the one that was presented in the three main films.

Audiences finally understood why the robots rebelled, how the Earth was plunged into eternal darkness, and the origins of some of the new characters who appear in Zion in the third film. It was essentially The Matrix without the pretentiousness of the second and third live action films, and it has an 88% rating at Rotten Tomatoes -- higher than any of the films of the trilogy.

If the Wachowskis and Warner Bros. are intent on moving forward with a new Matrix film, The Animatrix would be an ideal place to start mining for ideas.

The author of the article makes a point that the Wachowskis would be better off just writing the next stories, or giving the main story ideas, than actually directing it. I don't know. I am so lukewarm on a Matrix prequel because I was sorely disappointed in the 2nd and 3rd films; also prequels in general do not make me have a good feeling. I never think "yay! A prequel" I just think, "Ohhhh .. well, if it's done well, maybe ..."
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    IMHO, I'm actually happy to hear this. I love the first film, the second was good but not great, the third was... well we all know what the third was, but I still didn't hate the film. I think a new film/trilogy could save this franchise.

@4EverBonded as @royale65 stated, the Wachowskis wrote "V For Vendetta", which was a good movie, and they wrote/directed "Speed Racer" and "Cloud Atlas".
    I did see the Animatrix and yes it was great. In my Matrix order it goes...
    The Matrix
    The Animatrix
    The Matrix Reloaded
    The Matrix Revolutions

I think that they should do what the writer in the article said; get the Wachowskis to co-write the stories but have someone else direct them, much like the original Star Wars trilogy.

• Maybe that's why there was a commercial recently with a Matrix character.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    A prequel trilogy? Perhaps they should just focus on making one good Matrix film again and see where it goes from there.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm sorry, but I'm totally excited for the prospect of the Wachowski's doing ANY other film in the Matrix universe. The trilogy is one of my favorites and I would really enjoy a prequel of sorts (perhaps focusing on the other 'The One') or maybe a new trilogy with old characters once more.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm sorry, but I'm totally excited for the prospect of the Wachowski's doing ANY other film in the Matrix universe. The trilogy is one of my favorites and I would really enjoy a prequel of sorts (perhaps focusing on the other 'The One') or maybe a new trilogy with old characters once more.

I'm happy to see that someone else is just as excited about new movies as I am. My hope is that the Matrix franchise will come back and be just as popular as it was back when the trilogy was first coming out.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I would enjoy seeing a new Matrix trilogy, perhaps with a new Animatrix alongside it (I happened to enjoy The Animatrix).
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I revisited this trilogy recently and I actually enjoy Reloaded just as much as the first film - even though I think the first is better written, for sure.
    Not sure if I would prefer 3 prequels? or 3 sequels?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, sometimes, I think 'Reloaded' is my favorite in the trilogy. It has one of the best stretches of action I've ever seen (from Neo fighting the men in the lobby to the finale of that beautiful freeway chase. So lengthy and entertaining.)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I would enjoy seeing a new Matrix trilogy, perhaps with a new Animatrix alongside it (I happened to enjoy The Animatrix).

A full length Animatrix trilogy would be fine by me.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, sometimes, I think 'Reloaded' is my favorite in the trilogy. It has one of the best stretches of action I've ever seen (from Neo fighting the men in the lobby to the finale of that beautiful freeway chase. So lengthy and entertaining.)

Agreed. I love the soundtrack to those sequences, too. Very pumping!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm a Matrix geek / fanboy / apologist / ... you name it. I love all three films - and yes that obviously includes the third film! - as well as the animated shorts and the comics. For years I've been fantasizing about more Matrix films because I for one will happily digest anything the Wachowski's feed me concerning The Matrix.

I'm not going to sit here building a case to defend Revolutions but I can say this: I'm a sucker for those fights. They seem taken straight from the anime / manga tradition and I'm a pretty big fan of those things too. So in a way, The Matrix trilogy delivers the goods as I prefer them.

If there's any truth in these plans to put out more Matrix product, I'm enthused for sure. I think there's a big universe in this series to explore and it can be done in various ways. Comics do the trick; films would be even better. Of course I have standards of quality too so don't worry, I'm not that easy a lay for anything Matrix. I just never understood the massive Revolutions hatred. And if I get another Revolutions, I'd be pleased. Don't hate me for it. :D
    I've never seen The Matrix (or any of it's follow-ups)

I know Reeves was in the original but not aware if he was ever featured again. Are these releases (especially the first) really as awe inspiring as many make out or is it simply too much hype involved ?

Just not a movie release I'd ever want to really see, but feel like I'm in the 1 per cent of the worlds population who's yet to see any of these film titles
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm a little unsure as to why Revolutions gets so much hate. What did people hate about it?

The fight scenes? They weren't the Neo Vs. MultiSmiths-like brawls of Reloaded, but I enjoyed the more personal one-on-ones of the first one, and this gave me what I wanted it.

The Zion scenes? I'm sorry, but I'd rather see mechs fight robo-squids any day than a bunch of people dancing in a cave (because many of us have heard that Morpheus was having an orgy). We got a full-on war in Revolutions, something that hasn't even been hinted at since the Second Renaissance shorts on The Animatrix.

The romance? Eh, it was steadily going downhill since the first one anyway, who cares if it hit rock bottom in the third one.

The music? Neodammerung, the score that plays as Neo and Smith fight their final battle, is one of my favorite pieces of film music, right up there with Battle of the Heroes from Revenge of the Sith.

The effects? No real improvement from Reloaded, but they were filmed at the same damn time, what can you say?

The climax? Yeah, a little anti-climactic, but I'd rather have what the film presented instead of the stupid Mega-Smith fight from The Matrix: Path of Neo (a game I regret buying to this very day).

Again, what was wrong with Revolutions? It was a damn superb film, with damn superb everything.
    I'm a little unsure as to why Revolutions gets so much hate. What did people hate about it?

The fight scenes? They weren't the Neo Vs. MultiSmiths-like brawls of Reloaded, but I enjoyed the more personal one-on-ones of the first one, and this gave me what I wanted it.

The Zion scenes? I'm sorry, but I'd rather see mechs fight robo-squids any day than a bunch of people dancing in a cave (because many of us have heard that Morpheus was having an orgy). We got a full-on war in Revolutions, something that hasn't even been hinted at since the Second Renaissance shorts on The Animatrix.

The romance? Eh, it was steadily going downhill since the first one anyway, who cares if it hit rock bottom in the third one.

The music? Neodammerung, the score that plays as Neo and Smith fight their final battle, is one of my favorite pieces of film music, right up there with Battle of the Heroes from Revenge of the Sith.

The effects? No real improvement from Reloaded, but they were filmed at the same damn time, what can you say?

The climax? Yeah, a little anti-climactic, but I'd rather have what the film presented instead of the stupid Mega-Smith fight from The Matrix: Path of Neo (a game I regret buying to this very day).

Again, what was wrong with Revolutions? It was a damn superb film, with damn superb everything.

I found the story to be lacklustre and too simplistic in comparison with the other two. And the "Bane revelation" amounted to very little considering it was the basis for the cliffhanger in the previous film.

Other than that, all the traits that you mentioned (the fights, the music etc) were all pretty spectacular. It's just not as good as the other two, overall.
    And the "Bane revelation" amounted to very little considering it was the basis for the cliffhanger in the previous film.

I'm not entirely certain what you mean by that. We knew in the second one that Bane had been taken over by Smith, Enter the Matrix showed us that he killed the crew of his ship, it was pretty obvious what he did, who he was, and why he there. It was actually just sort of a coincidence that the Mjolnir (called the Hammer, because people couldn't pronounce the word) picked him up and he ended up with the crew of the Neb.
    And the "Bane revelation" amounted to very little considering it was the basis for the cliffhanger in the previous film.

I'm not entirely certain what you mean by that. We knew in the second one that Bane had been taken over by Smith, Enter the Matrix showed us that he killed the crew of his ship, it was pretty obvious what he did, who he was, and why he there. It was actually just sort of a coincidence that the Mjolnir (called the Hammer, because people couldn't pronounce the word) picked him up and he ended up with the crew of the Neb.

Oh yes I know all that, but there was no major consequence for the actions that Bane/Smith took other than Neo's eyesight loss, which in the end wasn't that big of a deal anyway. It was a case of an interesting set up that seemed to just fizzle out.

Oh yes I know all that, but there was no major consequence for the actions that Bane/Smith took other than Neo's eyesight loss, which in the end wasn't that big of a deal anyway. It was a case of an interesting set up that seemed to just fizzle out.

Oh, I don't know, he destroyed an entire fleet of hovercraft, severely ruining Zion's defense. All of his actions post-fleet destruction are pure happenstance, because the odds that Smith/Bane planned to end up on the Mjonir, planned for the Sentinels to destroy the Neb, are very slim. His goal was destroy a group of hovercraft, pure and simple.
    Bumping this old thread up for the new movie coming out!
  • I think a large part of the problem with the Matrix sequels is that it feels like a really cool 3 hour+ epic that's been split and padded into two 2-hour ones.

A lot of 3, in particular, feels like it has a lot of padding and just restating the themes brought up in part 2 again and again.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    New trailer coming today...

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I can't wait to see the new Matrix film though my gut is telling me to skip this trailer.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I think I'm more excited to see this than I was to see NTTD. It could be because of waiting 18 years since Revolutions and it did underwhelm to an extent. I'm just really excited to see how they move forward. IDC if it gets universally panned, I'll still see it opening weekend.
  • The Matrix is one of the first films I remember watching as a kid. I can't even begin to count the number of times I watched it. I had the action figures and everything.

I'm hoping the new film is a lot better than Revolutions which I didn't like at all. Still love the first two though.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Huge Matrix fan. I love the trilogy (never got the hate towards Revolutions), the Animatrix, the various scores and soundtracks, the comics, ... I've never played the games, though. But I am looking somewhat forward to this new film, even if the director's track record hasn't been that great of late and it has been nearly two decades. (The gap between ROTJ and TPM was smaller. Think about it.)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    The problem with Revolutions is that it's sort of depressing and too much spent in Zion. And there are points in Reloaded that were sort of unnecessary. Neo didn't have to get blinded. Nor did he or Trinity have to die. Smith didn't have to get assimilated into the real world.

I like both films and I do like the version of Smith that allows him to clone himself. Instead of defending Zion, the battle should have been taken directly to the Machine City. However, this would have removed a major plot point from the Animatrix. Reloaded could have stayed mostly the same but rather preparations for an attack to Machine City rather than defense on Zion.

Revolutions could have been the full of assault on Machine City while Neo takes on Smith in the Matrix. The stakes could be the same Ala peace in exchange for ending the war.