SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• edited March 2014 Posts: 5,767
    " I’m constantly going back to Fleming and the other movies – what are the bits and pieces, what are the resonances? One of the things we learned in Skyfall is that the audience really enjoyed those, they enjoyed when they saw the Aston Martin, they enjoyed when we had references to things they grew up with, either from Ian Fleming or from the other movies, and that’s always been a part of my thinking about Bond.”

More bad humor, more lousy self-references, more talking the talk instead of walking the walk. I really don´t know what´s exciting about that. To me it sounds like the worst thing that could happen to Bond. Well, each his own.
  • RC7RC7
    boldfinger wrote:
    " I’m constantly going back to Fleming and the other movies – what are the bits and pieces, what are the resonances? One of the things we learned in Skyfall is that the audience really enjoyed those, they enjoyed when they saw the Aston Martin, they enjoyed when we had references to things they grew up with, either from Ian Fleming or from the other movies, and that’s always been a part of my thinking about Bond.”

More bad humor, more lousy self-references, more talking the talk instead of walking the walk. I really don´t know what´s exciting about that. To me it sounds like the worst thing that could happen to Bond. Well, each his own.

I'm glad he's enthused, but very wary he sees the Aston as a high point of SF. The last thing this series needs is to fall into pastiche. By all means be inspired but they can't lift stuff wholesale, it's pointless, lazy and just serves numbskull punters. I'm still excited, but conscious the pair of them may let nostalgia get the better of them.
    Another translation question "You ain't seen nothing yet" to me means "You haven't seen anything yet" but it makes no sense.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Germanlady wrote:
    Another translation question "You ain't seen nothing yet" to me means "You haven't seen anything yet" but it makes no sense.

It means he has a lot to show, that we haven't seen what he's capable of. Hope this helps.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited March 2014 Posts: 12,459
    That is what it says/translates as, yes. What it means is: "If you thought the last film (whatever) was great, you haven' seen how fantastic this new film (or whatever) will be! Indeed, you have seen nothing to compare with what is coming up next."

Yep; Sandy and I posting at the same time to explain. :)
    Thanks Ladies :-* It did cross my mind, but it seemed a bit "over the top" really. Not that I mind, if its true. ;) This new one has to be fantastic to do at least 900 mill IMO. I don't expect another 1.1 billion.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited March 2014 Posts: 12,459
    It's a common enough English expression. English language - isn't it fun? So many metaphors, idioms, expressions, slang, etc. ;)

I don't think it will be bigger box office but the story might be great - I hope so! I have great confidence in the actors of the main cast. How I would love some real news, though ...
    BTW - short off topic remark. If you haven't seen Philomena with Judi - go see it. My new favourite film. It ticks all the right boxes in a wonderful way.
    boldfinger wrote:

That makes no sense whatsoever.

RC7 wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:

I'm glad he's enthused, but very wary he sees the Aston as a high point of SF. The last thing this series needs is to fall into pastiche. By all means be inspired but they can't lift stuff wholesale, it's pointless, lazy and just serves numbskull punters. I'm still excited, but conscious the pair of them may let nostalgia get the better of them.

I prefer nostalgia that resonates with bona fide Bond to innovation that estranges the films from their essence.

I've said this before but since we're talking about it I'll say it again: the DB5 would've had a much bigger impact for me if we hadn't seen it since the sixties. The appearances in GE, TND and CR sort of ruined it a bit imo, I wasn't as happy to see it again as I would have been.

It was great seeing it with gadgets again though.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,350
    RC7 wrote:
    very wary he sees the Aston as a high point of SF.

I am too and they should be trying to create new iconic elements instead of relying on the past. The only thing I can take this comment to mean in a positive light, is that Logan knows how important what has gone before is.

For past references, I doubt that can't top the DB5 reveal, so I'm not too concerned. Yet.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 5,767
    RC7 wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:

I prefer nostalgia that resonates with bona fide Bond to innovation that estranges the films from their essence.
    In my book, SF is very estranged from the Bond film essence.
    That makes no sense whatsoever.
    Of course it does, why wouldn´t it?

Ralph Fiennes has been talking Bond 24 again. Looks like M may be back in the field:

http://www.hitfix.com/news/ralph-fiennes-stokes-james-bond-rumors-and-talks-about-ms-future#lIblkQSuULZvpfIu.99
    Everyone wants more screen time in these films! I'm sure Logan will disappoint some but make fans happy. The MI6 staff are great minor characters after all and should be nothing more.
    I hate to say it but I wouldn't mind M out in the field if it similar to Lee's M being out in the field
    LeChiffre wrote:
    I hope Mr Mendes brings the old clapperboard out again to tease us all at various stages of production as to what is actually happening. Plus I wonder if the casting call has gone out out yet for a certain white cat?

The clapperboards ruined Skyfall for me so I hope for my own sake that they don't return.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited March 2014 Posts: 16,328
    As long as Fiennes's M doesn't badger Bond about trust and crap then I'm perfectly happy with him in the field. In fact he trusted Bond very early on and let him work unlike Judi's M who was acting like a helicopter parent.
    Really? She was willing to send Bond out even though he wasn't ready. She trusted him, maybe too much!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Really? She was willing to send Bond out even though he wasn't ready. She trusted him, maybe too much!

I'm mainly referring to QoS. She toned it down a lot in SF mainly because she wasn't in Constant contact with him. Cellphones and Bond don't mix.
    off topic but I don't know if there's thread for things like this: http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/muppets-wanted-parody-posters-take-skyfall-faceoff/

on topic: If the production begins in November shouldn't we expect some casting news in April maybe ? For god's sake they announced Batman 2 years before the Batman-Superman movie, so surely MGM will cast a villain or bond girl soon right ?

Also with all this talk about Barkhad Abdi recently I think that he would be nice fit in the Bond universe. Not as a main villain of course but someone who is left hand to the villain. Like Benicio Del Toro for example.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Risico007 wrote:
    I hate to say it but I wouldn't mind M out in the field if it similar to Lee's M being out in the field

That makes us two :) I would love for M and Ms Moneypenny to go out in the field... to brief 007 about his upcoming mission.
    dragonsky wrote:
    If the production begins in November shouldn't we expect some casting news in April maybe ?

Going by Skyfall, we may get the first casting news in June.
    I loved reading that interview. Logan's excitement enhances my own, and the more he puts his heart and soul into the script the better I think the film will be for it. His answers to Quantum related questions were interesting, for sure, and give me a fickle of hope that we'll see the organization again. Quantum's return would really mean the world to me, so much so that it's the only thing I care about being in Bond 24 at this point because I think it's sloppy to leave the arc unfinished as is. If they do feature in the film and their return is signaled in a teaser way down the line of epic proportions, I will scream with such happiness that my voice will give out.

I agree 100% whole heartedly with all the above!

As for M being out in the field? Really not sure? Especially if Moneypenny is going to be out and about again?!!!
    QBranch wrote:
    John Logan: "You ain’t seen nothing yet!"

<a href="http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=40356">John Logan Gives Bond 24 Script Update</a>

Really interesting. Many "no comments", but I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of those turned out to be "yes".
    I don't know where to put it, but as people may know, Sam Mendes is directing King Lear these days at the National Theatre: http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/shows/king-lear

Pure speculation from my part, but Simon Russell Beale is playing Lear and wasn't he rumoured back in 2009-2010 or something to be the next villain for Bond 23? It is a long, long, long shot, but him working with Mendes now, and you know, some rumors end up true.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2014 Posts: 4,415
    I think Simon Russell Beale whas possible a choose for playing Kin Kade and play with Rachel Weisz (Daniel Craig girlfriend) in Deep Blue Sea a movie from 2011. On picture from that movie, he look to much on Mathis.
    Ludovico wrote:
    I don't know where to put it, but as people may know, Sam Mendes is directing King Lear these days at the National Theatre: http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/shows/king-lear

Pure speculation from my part, but Simon Russell Beale is playing Lear and wasn't he rumoured back in 2009-2010 or something to be the next villain for Bond 23? It is a long, long, long shot, but him working with Mendes now, and you know, some rumors end up true.

I would love for that to happen , also kevin spacey was almost cast but had a conflicting project this time maybe
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote:
    Let's hope that we don't have anymore missions that stem from previous grudge. At least for awhile. LTK, GE, TWINE, DAD, QOS and SF all stem from either someone with an unresolved issue coming after Bond, M, MI6 or some combination there of. The only exceptions in that time spread being TND (but even that one had Bond personally invested due to a previous liaison with the villains wife) and CR (and that betrayal sets up the next film). Time for an actual mission.

Yes, well put. I think we are all tired of that theme by now.