Wii Online Servers to shut down in May

edited February 2014 in 007 Gaming Posts: 136
Well, I guess this means goodbye to Goldeneye Wii, put it on and remember it for a while before it's gone for good. :(

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/26/nintendo-japan-wii-ds-multiplayer-3ds-video-shutdown/

Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    An end to an era. I can see why Nintendo are doing it, but...
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I just don't understand why it's only the games that are affected. Services like the WiiShop, or the Internet Channel aren't being shut down.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    I just don't understand why it's only the games that are affected. Services like the WiiShop, or the Internet Channel aren't being shut down.

Because one costs them money, the other two make money.
  • XXXXXX Banned
    edited March 2014 Posts: 132
    Doesn't maintainencing this forum cost money? RIP Wii, my heart, is a wii bit smaller.
    That's a shame. Although I don't play online games at home, my friends and I played many a game online at his house.

Honestly Goldeneye 2010 was the main reason I bought a Wii.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    JamesPage wrote:

Because one costs them money, the other two make money.

No, the WiiShop makes them money. The Internet Channel, the YouTube Channel, I can't see how they can make Nintendo any real money, certainly not more than the News and Weather Channels made them, and those were discontinued a while back.
  • I'm sad, but I'm thinking that Nintendo will release some of the bigger titles on the Wii U shop and probably include mulitplayer on Wii U servers. At least I'm hoping so. There's been no talk, but I'm sure it would be welcome.
  • XXXXXX Banned
    Somethings going to happen I'm sure of it.
  • I found this interesting comment on the page by Magnusmaster

"This is because Wii and DS online are using Gamespy technology for their matchmaking service.

Unfortunately, Gamespy matchmaking was bought by Glu Mobile in August 2012. A bunch of games suddenly lost multiplayer matchmaking (Star Wars: Battlefront, Sniper Elite, Microsoft Flight Simulator X and Neverwinter Nights, etc.) without any notice. I imagine that Nintendo had contracts in place that made sure they couldn't shut down service until the contract had completed. My guess would be that Glu Mobile wanted to stop supporting Nintendo ASAP. I really doubt Nintendo would electively shut down service for Wii and DS unless they really had to."

Wii U and 3DS games aren't affected since those are running on Nintendo's servers.

So it seems the company that is making our new Bond mobile game is also shutting down servers for Goldeneye and the other Wii games... quite interesting.
    What?!?! No.....I love GE on the Wii online.....man, this is awful news. The one game I actually play online, and it's being scrapped. Unbelievable.
  • Yea, we don't all have to blame Nintendo now, we can clearly tell now that it is Glu shutting down all the Gamespy servers, lots more other games are being affected as well now, mostly PC games, but I think I saw a few Ps3 games on the list as well. Most bigger companies will be moving most of their games to different servers, but a lot of games will likely still be lost.
  • Quite strange, but I believe this game is still up, I played about a week ago. None of the other games seem to be up but this one. What's the reason for Goldeneye still being up other than its popularity?