Things you're tired of seeing in movies.

MurdockMurdock The minus world
edited February 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 16,328
I'm tired of seeing movies trying to compete with each other by using trope elements. (villains letting themselves get captured, ect...)

Zombies, vampires and warewolves.

CGI blood in action movies.

Scores being composed by Hans Zimmer.

Reboots/Remakes.

Pop culture spoof movies. (Scary Movie, Epic Movie, Disaster Movie, Starving games...)

Superhero movies that try to Modernize the source material and make it dark and gritty.

Speed editing, Jump cuts and shaky cam.

So as the thread is titled. What are you tired of seeing in movies?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Dude, I think you pretty much nailed it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    CGI blood is one of my biggest issues with films. It just totally takes me out of the experience. That, and CGI car crashes.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Okay, mainly just vampires and werewolves (I write zombie stories, so I have to say I want more of those).

Car chase movies. The Fast and the Furious was okay, Gone in 60 Seconds was okay, but since those two, the car chase genre movie has kind of become dull. I can deal with the Transporter movies, though.

Remakes that are really reimaginings that just completely fail to live up to what the original was. They use the name purely for brand recognition. (Oh, wait, that's pretty much every remake... oops.)
  • CGI

Woody Allen

The lack of directors of diverse backgrounds.

Lack of fresh ideas (see above for remakes/reboots)

The thought that you just paid so much money for movie ticket prices only to be disappointed halfway through that this isn't such a great movie (for most flicks that come out, not all).

The fact that the same actor could have been replaced by someone with lesser pay demands/diva-ness or sometimes no acting experience like the pirate actor from Captain Phillips could have pulled off the same thing.

The use of so many voice actors by people who already make lots of money who take jobs away from dedicated people who master the skill of voice artistry. It's just animation and it needs a voice. If you want to make it marketable, make a good movie that could be marketed with graphics, trailers, commercials, and a good word of mouth potential and then you have a franchise that people can follow.
    Same cheesy unrealistic romance in almost every film.
    Jennifer Lawrence. Seriously. Agree with everything else so far.
  • People who laugh and laugh for some silly thing at the end of an episode series or a movie. I-HATE-IT!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    3D
    Jennifer Lawrence.
    Dude. That's just wrong.

:))
    chrisisall wrote:
    Jennifer Lawrence.
    Dude. That's just wrong.

Wrong? It's completely criminal!
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there

I must agree!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Jennifer Lawrence.
    Dude. That's just wrong.

Wrong? It's completely criminal!
    Maybe he's just tired of seeing her in MY films. ;)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited February 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I pretty much agree with everyone (and the OP was pretty thorough, I must say), though I'm not sick of Jennifer Lawrence yet.
    I definitely have had Woody on my never-want- to-see-again list for years already.

I may add:
    Animals being killed; always, always bothers me. A lot.

• CGI

Woody Allen

The thought that you just paid so much money for movie ticket prices only to be disappointed halfway through that this isn't such a great movie (for most flicks that come out, not all).

The fact that the same actor could have been replaced by someone with lesser pay demands/diva-ness or sometimes no acting experience like the pirate actor from Captain Phillips could have pulled off the same thing.

The use of so many voice actors by people who already make lots of money who take jobs away from dedicated people who master the skill of voice artistry. It's just animation and it needs a voice. If you want to make it marketable, make a good movie that could be marketed with graphics, trailers, commercials, and a good word of mouth potential and then you have a franchise that people can follow.

As far as directors go I don't think it's a matter of lack of diversity but more of a matter of studios only hiring them to film the same old stuff.

As far as voice actors go you're absolutely right. Why is Bradley Cooper voicing Rocket Raccoon? He's not a voice actor and Marvel only cast him to have an A-list name on the cast. Whereas an experienced voice actor could've gotten the break of a lifetime.
    I'm not tired of vampires or werewolves in movies, but I'm tired that vampires are pictured as angsty teenagers or tragic heroes. I'm all for a return in cinema to predatory vampires, pure evil creatures.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Inspirational, statesmanlike speeches in the face of danger.
    Heroes or villains apparently dying, but hey, they are not dead after all.
    Heroes proving their worth after being dismissed by their surroundings.

It is all good, but has been done to death in hundreds if not thousands of films.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I must agree!

Make that three. I don't get the fuss. And I find her "look at me, aren't I goofy" shtick in interviews, even worse.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    These things:
    Murdock wrote:
    Zombies, vampires and warewolves.

CGI blood in action movies.

Reboots/Remakes.

Pop culture spoof movies. (Scary Movie, Epic Movie, Disaster Movie, Starving games...)

Superhero movies that try to Modernize the source material and make it dark and gritty.
    Reboots and thinking that it will change anything at all, and then discovering that the audience was perfectly happy with the older product.

Remakes without some identity of their own { it should be done like Philadephia - High Society, The Bourne Identity miniseries vs The Bourne Identity }

Remaking old tv shows into movies and they they are totally not the same and more often cr*p.
  • Michael f---ing Bay
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    This is probably just nitpicky because I'm a smoker, but I hate when characters smoke in a film and they don't smoke/inhale properly. If it's to be believable, some actors do a very bad job of it.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Comic book/superhero films. I liked the Batman movies but this it's getting ridiculous now. 2013 had new Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine and Superman movies and coming up soon is a new Captain America film, a new Spiderman film, a new X Men film, and that crap looking Guardians thing. Then in 2015 there's a Batman reboot (again) with Superman in it, another Avengers film and an "Ant Man" film (which just sounds naff to me).

I've probably missed a few there as well. At this point I'm just sick of them.
  • Then in 2015 there's a Batman reboot (again) with Superman in it, another Avengers film and an "Ant Man" film (which just sounds naff to me).

But ant-man will be portrayed by the legendary Brian Fantana! (aka Paul Rudd)
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Hmm, I like Paul Rudd, and Ant Man sound like a 50's B movie, so I may have to check it out...
    Yes, the amount of superhero films in line is overwhelming, bordering on ridiculous.
    Yes, the amount of superhero films in line is overwhelming, bordering on ridiculous.
    I would have KILLED for times like these a couple of decades ago!
    chrisisall wrote:
    I would have KILLED for times like these a couple of decades ago!

Overwhelming in a negative way. I can't go to the cinema and not see 5 showings of various superhero movies. ~X(
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 1,280
    Creasy47 wrote:
    This is probably just nitpicky because I'm a smoker, but I hate when characters smoke in a film and they don't smoke/inhale properly. If it's to be believable, some actors do a very bad job of it.

LOL, the only film which I've seen attempt to explain smoking was The Client.

But that was made Joel Schumacher who is responsible for driving Batman into the ground with campiness and causing reboots and now another reboot in 2015. How many times can the movie studios give the middle finger to fans as though they don't matter?

Another ridiculous thing is that some of these famous movie actors are using Kickstarter to fund their own projects and still turn up a profit. Kickstarter was made for fans and up-and-coming directors, not established ones. That's when it becomes e-begging instead of fundraising.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Adam Sandler movies. He stopped being funny back in 2002.
  • CGI

Woody Allen

There is not a single wrong letter in this post!