Most Saddening and Disturbing Death (SPOILERS)

Comments

I've just had a thought !!

Surely one of the most disturbing deaths is the slaughter of all the workers by Zorin and Scarpine in the mine after it has started flooding in AVTAK.

Very heavy for a 1985 PG film and a scene Sir Roger himself didn't like.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I have to mention Mayday's sacrifice. The way she laughs at Zorin when she comes out of the mine just before the explosion...she was a good person really.
  • I have to mention Mayday's sacrifice. The way she laughs at Zorin when she comes out of the mine just before the explosion...she was a good person really.

Like Frans Sanchez was a good person: "I want you to know it's nothing personnal, this is just...business."
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I have to mention Mayday's sacrifice. The way she laughs at Zorin when she comes out of the mine just before the explosion...she was a good person really.

Like Frans Sanchez was a good person: "I want you to know it's nothing personnal, this is just...business."

Or the good nature of Hugo Drax-"Cucumber sandwich?"

Or Blofeld for that matter- "Merry Christmas, 007!"
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    0013 wrote:
    Tracy was the saddest because Vesper was in some part guilty of her own fate and she chose to kill herself. But when Tracy says those words "Now I can have what I always wanted: a future", I struggle to not cry.

Yes, agreed. The saddest ending of them all.
    I feel the more minor character deaths were more touching, the deaths of Tracy and Vesper didn't affect me much as I didn't really believe the love storys, all seemed a bit forced.

Kerim and Aki from the Connery films were definitley very sad.

Vijay, Luigi, Corrine and Tibbet from the Moore era.

can't really think of any from Dalts or Brosnan, definitley Mathis from the Craig films.
    can't really think of any from Dalts or Brosnan, definitley Mathis from the Craig films.

With Dalton it would have to be Saunders from TLD and Della,Sharkey from LTK.

Brosnan i can only think of Mrs Carver in TND but personally if Dr Kaufmann didnt kill her then i would of - what a crap character.

Paris was indeed a poorly written one note figure. The only good thing that came from her presence was the Dr Kaulfman sequence.
  • I have to mention Mayday's sacrifice. The way she laughs at Zorin when she comes out of the mine just before the explosion...she was a good person really.

No, she was a very bad person whose one heroic moment was spurred by a lover's betrayal.

• Bradford4Bradford4 Banned
    edited February 2014 Posts: 152
    Mathis is the most disturbing as well as my earlier choice, Luigi. This is a fan favorite character who was brought back after an extensive letter writing campaign (myself included), and how do they send him off? With his "ally" Bond, dumping him into the rubbish like so much chinese babies. Unacceptable, and I know it has been discussed to death but It bothers me so! Babs Broccoli god bless her brought Mathis back and then shoved him down a flight of stairs! Bloody bitch.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited February 2014 Posts: 16,328
    Bradford4 wrote:
    Babs Broccoli god bless her brought Mathis back and then shoved him down a flight of stairs! Bloody bitch.

Do you know how childish that statement makes you look? Why are you blaming Barbara for killing Mathis? You do know she's the producer and not the writer. Why don't you blame Purvis and Wade or Paul Haggis you know The writers of the story? [-(
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I agree, @Murdock. @Bradford4 reminds me of those people who blame the weather guy on TV for days of cold. Such people also blamed Brosnan for script choices in DAD.

tumblr_me0dalTl6C1rs74mw.gif
    I do blame the writers as well but Babs is complicit. She must approve every little thing including the script/story
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Bradford4 wrote:
    I do blame the writers as well but Babs is complicit. She must approve every little thing including the script/story

Well calling her a Bloody B(%^*& doesn't do you any favors around here.
    Bradford4 wrote:

Then under English criminal law you must prove the defendant's guilt. The onus is on you to do this. Are you up for it?
    Do you know what a producer is?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Bradford4 wrote:

Then under English criminal law you must prove the defendant's guilt. The onus is on you to do this. Are you up for it?

Please stop adding fuel to the fire. It's completely unreasonable to blame one single person for a fans displeasure with the Bond series. The Bond films have always been a team effort. Even from the start.
    Asking a member if they're up for it, isn't going to help.

Bradford4 wrote:
    Do you know what a producer is?

Yes, yes I do. Thanks.

• One or two participants have mentioned Fields from Quantum of Solace as a say, "upsetting and disturbing" death or exit. Sorry, but cannot subscribe to that, as while having your lungs filled with oil is doubtless an unpleasant experience for anyone, I couldn't look beyond it was a blatant rip-off from the iconic Eaton moment from Goldfinger. (Why was it even attempted again, can't they just leave things as they are ? They'll never be able to duplicate the effect of '64 with any other release or any other character). Add to that, Fields was only on screen for a very short time, and was a character I didn't care much for

Better examples of most saddening / disturbing, exits and losses from the James Bond franchise, would have to include

# Corrine Dufour

# Helga Brandt

# Tracy Bond

# Luigi Ferrara

# Vijay

# Stromberg's assistant who was accused of betrayal

# Milton Krest

# Tilly Masterson

# Plenty O Toole

Doubtless there will be others worthy of inclusion, but as a shortlist, it works
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 317
    I couldn't look beyond it was a blatant rip-off from the iconic Eaton moment from Goldfinger. (Why was it even attempted again, can't they just leave things as they are ? They'll never be able to duplicate the effect of '64 with any other release or any other character).

Couldn't disagree more, I thought it was a great tribute to the classic Goldfinger scene and was giddy when I saw it.

• Coldfinger wrote:
    I couldn't look beyond it was a blatant rip-off from the iconic Eaton moment from Goldfinger. (Why was it even attempted again, can't they just leave things as they are ? They'll never be able to duplicate the effect of '64 with any other release or any other character).

Couldn't disagree more, I thought it was a great tribute to the classic Goldfinger scene and was giddy when I saw it.

I agree. Wasn't quite "giddy," but I did think it was clever, appropriate and well executed.

Having Fields laid out in the same position that Shirley Eaton was in GF was interesting. I guess they were paying homage to that great film. Oil being "black gold" and highly sought after these days.

I liked Fields despite the fact she had so little screen time. I felt that her love scene with Bond came out of nowhere. There was no real sexual chemistry between the two and it was hard for me to accept that she would just hop in bed with a brooding Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The ladies listed are quite well and good (and expected), but for me another painfully sad one is Della. Not only is she eventually killed, but it is alluded to that she was raped before her end. That's sickening and just...wrong. The look on Dario's face when he jokes about the honeymoon makes me boil.
  • I was going to include Dario in it, (can only imagine what an unpleasant experience it must be for anyone chopped up in a cocaine grinder regardless of good or bad) but decided to omit the name in the end. What I should of done, was include Vesper Lynd in it, and with this opportunity, she can now be included. Easily one of the most poignant and memorable deaths in the series, and yes, disturbing with it, to a certain extent
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Having Fields laid out in the same position that Shirley Eaton was in GF was interesting. I guess they were paying homage to that great film. Oil being "black gold" and highly sought after these days.

I liked Fields despite the fact she had so little screen time. I felt that her love scene with Bond came out of nowhere. There was no real sexual chemistry between the two and it was hard for me to accept that she would just hop in bed with a brooding Bond.

Yes, it's n economic barometer of the changes roughly fifty years later, you might say. It was also to put there to put MI6 off the scent that it was oil Quantum were after and not the control of Bolivia's water supply instead.
  • The ladies listed are quite well and good (and expected), but for me another painfully sad one is Della. Not only is she eventually killed, but it is alluded to that she was raped before her end. That's sickening and just...wrong. The look on Dario's face when he jokes about the honeymoon makes me boil.

Seemed to have a similar effect on Felix.

I did like Dario as a character,he had genuine nastiness about him,totally believable.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,727
    The ladies listed are quite well and good (and expected), but for me another painfully sad one is Della. Not only is she eventually killed, but it is alluded to that she was raped before her end. That's sickening and just...wrong. The look on Dario's face when he jokes about the honeymoon makes me boil.

Well, it would wouldn't it?
  • Dragonpol wrote:

Well, it would wouldn't it?

Gee, now that you mention it, I suppose it would!

edited February 2014 Posts: 17,727
    ^^ Funny that.
  • 0013 wrote:
    Tracy was the saddest because Vesper was in some part guilty of her own fate and she chose to kill herself. But when Tracy says those words "Now I can have what I always wanted: a future", I struggle to not cry.

Well it was not her fault that movie Vesper was manipulated so horribly by her Quantum handlers and a honey trap and what she did was very brave. Tracy's death was very tragic, but at least she didn't suffer the same kind of prolonged agonising death of Vesper's drowning (or Aki's dry drowning from poison).