Favorite Bond End Song

edited February 2014 in Music Posts: 1,778
There are many threads about the Bond credit themes yet i don't recall one listing your favorite Bond closing credit theme. Let me clarify. What I mean by that is a song over the closing credits song by a singer, not a variation of the Bond theme or the same opening theme. That being the case, what's your favorite and why? Our choices include,

-From Russia with Love by Matt Munroe (FRWL)
-Moonraker Disco Version (MR)
-If there was a man by The Pretenders (TLD)
-If you asked me to by Gloria Estefan (LTK)
-The Experience of Love by Eric Serra (GE)
-Surrender by K.D. Lang (TND)
-Die Another Day Remix by Madonna (DAD)

For me the choice is easily Surrender. It just reeks of Bond and clearly should've been the opening theme.

Comments

7: The Experience of Love
    6: Die Another Day Remix
    5: Moonraker Disco Version
    4: From Russia with Love
    3: If There Was a Man
    2: Surrender
    1: If You Asked Me To
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    If You Asked Me To is sang by Patti LaBelle, no?

I too, would choose Surrender and expect this to be the runaway winner.
  • Matt Monroe (it would seem) wins easily against all other competitors.

Bassey's Moonraker disco version from the ballad intro is not too bad, then you got some truly horrendous 'efforts' from Eric Serra and Madonna's remix

License to Kill was Patty LaBelle, and not Estefan, incidentally

The Pretenders 'If there was a man' is a fine song, but I always prefer A-HA for the main theme, as with Sheryl Crow over K.D Lang
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Surrender and If You Asked Me To are my fav end themes.

Incidentally, I much prefer Where Has Everybody Gone over If There Was A Man.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Matt Monroes From Russia With Love is just amazing!
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    -Bassey's disco Moonraker
    -Surrender, K.D Lang
    -(come at me haters) "Goodnight, goodnight", Lulu for the ending to The Man With the Golden Gun
    -the ending version of Live and Let Die
    -the extended A View to a Kill song
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 1,778
    Samuel001 wrote:

Pattie LaBelle sang the opening theme.

This is how I'd list them.

7)Die Another Day Remix (A crime against human ears)
    6)From Russia With Love (a decent song in its own right, it's just not Bond)
    5)The Experience of Love (see #6)
    4)Moonraker Disco Version (a catchy little tune)
    3)If you asked me to (nice contrast to the intense nature of LTK)
    2)If there was a man (I always liked The Pretenders)
    1)Surrender (like I said before, it's so Bondian it hurts)
    Samuel001 wrote:

2)If there was a man (I always like The Pretenders)
    1)Surrender (like I said before, it's so Bondian hurts)

No, Gladys Knight sang LTK.
  • Surrender, easily. I don't think the Sheryl Crow theme is bad but Surrender is much better. TND should've been the credits song while Surrender should've been the title song.
    Samuel001 wrote:

2)If there was a man (I always like The Pretenders)
    1)Surrender (like I said before, it's so Bondian hurts)

No, Gladys Knight sang LTK.

I stand corrected.
    Surrender, easily. I don't think the Sheryl Crow theme is bad but Surrender is much better. TND should've been the credits song while Surrender should've been the title song.

Agreed. Unfortunatly K.D. Lang isn't as marketable or attractive as Sheryl Crowe. Moreover I always found Surrender to be the superior track.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 2,483
    I know it's not a song per se, but I really dig Crawl, End Crawl, at the end of QOS.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    1) If There Was A Man
    2) If You Asked Me To
    3) Surrender
    4) The rest
    I think they experience of love by eric serra is the most parsimonies pierce of trash i can think off

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone here that likes The Experience of Love?
    I don't mind it, but its hardly a classic
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I don't mind it, but its hardly a classic

I'd agree with that.
    Its liked with ge and stunks with the film.
  • Just out of curiosity, is there anyone here that likes The Experience of Love?

I don't hate it. It's kinda sort of grown on me over the years. It just doesn't function very well as a Bond song and hasn't particularly aged well. It feels like it should've played over the end credits of a 90s romance not the re-introduction of James Bond. The only song that should've played over the end credits of the first Bond film in 6 and a half years was the Bond theme.

I don't hate it. It's kinda sort of grown on me over the years. It just doesn't function very well as a Bond song and hasn't particularly aged well. It feels like it should've played over the end credits of a 90s romance not the re-introduction of James Bond. The only song that should've played over the end credits of the first Bond film in 6 and a half years was the Bond theme.

I think they were trying to go with the same effect of ending GE as a standalone, excellent piece of cinema a la LTK with IYAMT. It just doesn't work the way it did with LTK.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189
    It's got that sleepy feeling to it which both "If there was a man" and " If You Asked Me to" also had.

I think they were trying to go with the same effect of ending GE as a standalone, excellent piece of cinema a la LTK with IYAMT. It just doesn't work the way it did with LTK.

I understand their logic and intent for including other original songs during the Dalton/Brosnan end credits and I wouldn't mind it happening again at all. It's just if there was any film that needed more of the Bond theme it was GE. But I guess Serra thought he was too good for that or something. James Bond was back and we needed to hear it swell as see it.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    It's got that sleepy feeling to it which both "If there was a man" and " If You Asked Me to" also had.

The Experience of Love always made me sleepy too haha. In that respect it's the best lullaby there is.

Well we did get it full blast during the tank chase. Everytime Bond smashes through that walk in the tank I'm like an excited little boy.

All I can say is thank god Serra's music for that scene wasnt in the final film.

Anyway I digress.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Well we did get it full blast during the tank chase. Everytime Bond smashes through that walk in the tank I'm like an excited little boy.

That's not due to Serra though.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    edited February 2014 Posts: 578
    1. Surrender by K.D. Lang (TND)
    2. From Russia with Love by Matt Munroe (FRWL)
    3. If there was a man by The Pretenders (TLD)
    4. Moonraker Disco Version (MR)
    5. If you asked me to by Pattie LaBelle (LTK)
    6. Die Another Day Remix by Madonna (DAD)
    7. The Experience of Love by Eric Serra (GE)
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 6,396
    5. If you asked me to by Gloria Estefan (LTK)

Not another!
  • BAIN123 wrote:

All I can say is thank god Serra's music for that scene wasnt in the final film.

Anyway I digress.

We could've used a little of the Bond guitar rift.

I'm at a bit of a lose. It sounds like there was a story behind the scoring of that scene. Please don't digress. Could you elaborate?
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    5. If you asked me to by Gloria Estefan (LTK)

Not another!

Thanks for the reminder. So tired...
    Well I think Serra had scored his own version of the Bond theme for the tank chase. It's the worst track IMO. Horrid - and I say that as someone who doesn't mind the Serra soundtrack in the film.
    BAIN123 wrote:

Anyway I digress.

We could've used a little of the Bond guitar rift.

I'm at a bit of a lose. It sounds like there was a story behind the scoring of that scene. Please don't digress. Could you elaborate?

In a nutshell, the producers hated Serra's scoring of the tank chase so they brought in John Altman to score a more traditional piece.
  • I just listened to it. Ouch! The right decision was made without a shadow of a doubt.

Interesting that that track made it into the GE dvd menu. I guess someone must've liked it haha.