How should the next actor play Bond and is there anything new he could bring?

Comments

• Demeanor: Suave, more mature, experienced ( I don't want another rookie Bond reboot), witty, shows an artsy side more often, more diplomatic. I prefer a "wilder" and more adventurous Bond again when it comes to women.

Fighting style: Not so deadly and physical, strategic in using environment (remember Brosnan's bank escape), relies more on gadgets like the old, resourceful.

Looks: taller at least 6-foot tall, classically good looking. even though I don't think it's as important as the 2 above.
    I sure don't want the future Bond to use more gadgetry! Bond should rely on his intelligence first and foremost.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 1,009
    Witty, in his thirties, not a Superman, not that bon-vivant, tall and smart-clothing. Something closer to the novels, but adequate to a contemporary audience.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,728
    Ludovico wrote:
    I sure don't want the future Bond to use more gadgetry! Bond should rely on his intelligence first and foremost.

Agree 100%. I do hope those gadget-saturated days of excess are now behind us. Bond being resourceful is much more interesting and adds a greater frisson of danger always necessary for a successful thriller.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Agree 100%. I do hope those gadget-saturated days of excess are now behind us. Bond being resourceful is much more interesting and adds a greater frisson of danger always necessary for a successful thriller.
    Of course but I think that there is a balance that can be maintained. If Bond uses the gadgets every single time that he is in danger then they become boring. I wouldn't mind seeing him use one every once in a while though.
  • Tall, dark and handsome and doesn't look like a petrified block of English Cheddar.

I would love to go for a slightly lighter Bond but still with the acting chops of Daniel and Timothy.

If we get Nolan at some point I know we'll get LTK, TLD style of Bond and film....which is always a good thing.

Actors would determine the route - just watched The Following and Perfume boy was the right actor and the wrong time for Bond casting....someone of that ilk...not young just right.

pachazo wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Of course but I think that there is a balance that can be maintained. If Bond uses the gadgets every single time that he is in danger then they become boring. I wouldn't mind seeing him use one every once in a while though.

Of course, by all means, but I strongly feel that he should not be too reliant on gadgetry (we've had years of that already) and all gadgetry should be believable in nature - no more Bondolas, please.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Of course, by all means, but I strongly feel that he should not be too reliant on gadgetry (we've had years of that already) and all gadgetry should be believable in nature - no more Bondolas, please.
    That sounds quite reasonable to me.
    pachazo wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    That sounds quite reasonable to me.

Well, I'm glad for that. It seems I'm preaching to the converted here.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    doubleoego wrote:
    The next actor should find that middle ground of conveying the best elements of Connery, Dalton and Craig.

Well Brosnan took elements from Moore and Connnery and now everyone slags him off for being the "greatest hits" Bond so I'm not sure that's a good idea.
    doubleoego wrote:
    The next actor should find that middle ground of conveying the best elements of Connery, Dalton and Craig.

Well Brosnan took elements from Moore and Connnery and now everyone slags him off for being the "greatest hits" Bond so I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Indeed, Brosnan Bond was sadly an amalgam at best, with a dash of Lazenby vulnerability thrown in for good measure.
  • Actually I think Brosnan gets a lot of unfair criticism and he did enough to be unique, even if he used elements from past Bonds (he had Roger's humour for example).

Brosnan was a cool, flashy action hero, almost sociopathic, who justified the massive amount of people he killed because it was "for England". You do get moments where he seemed to struggle but overall he's pretty cold blooded because like he said to Natalya, he needs to be so he can survive.
    Actually I think Brosnan gets a lot of unfair criticism and he did enough to be unique, even if he used elements from past Bonds (he had Roger's humour for example).

Brosnan was a cool, flashy action hero, almost sociopathic, who justified the massive amount of people he killed because it was "for England". You do get moments where he seemed to struggle but overall he's pretty cold blooded because like he said to Natalya, he needs to be so he can survive.

Oh yes, I like Brosnan immensely too, and I agree that nowadays he gets a lot of criticism, often unfair in nature, that he did not get t the time, and I lived through that era very much, as he was "my Bond". He was called "the best James Bond of them all" on numerous occasions, something that's not heard of much now in the new Craig Bond era.
  • Dragonpol wrote:
    and I lived through that era very much, as he was "my Bond".

Same here. I saw Dalton first, but it was Brosnan that I grew up with.
    Furthermore, if gadgets defines a character, he's in trouble.
    Actually I think Brosnan gets a lot of unfair criticism and he did enough to be unique, even if he used elements from past Bonds (he had Roger's humour for example).

I wouldn't call any Bond a sociopath. What makes you think Brosnan was? A superspy maybe, far more than Moore actually, but not a sociopath.
    I think I would like to see more gadgets than we've seen in the Craig films but I wouldn't like to see Bond constantly using them to get out of tough situations.

That's one of my hopes for Bond 24: better gadgets. Nothing too OTT but I think they can improve on a gun and a radio. Some simple stuff like a grappling hook.
    Ludovico wrote:

I wouldn't call any Bond a sociopath. What makes you think Brosnan was? A superspy maybe, far more than Moore actually, but not a sociopath.

Sociopath might be too strong a word to use, but he kills loads of people (more than any other Bond), a lot of the time when he doesn't even have to, and isn't affected by it at all. Also found this

"A sociopath is often well liked because of their charm and high charisma, but they do not usually care about other people."

I think that applies to Brosnan's Bond.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 6,396
    I think I would like to see more gadgets than we've seen in the Craig films but I wouldn't like to see Bond constantly using them to get out of tough situations.

That's one of my hopes for Bond 24: better gadgets. Nothing too OTT but I think they can improve on a gun and a radio. Some simple stuff like a grappling hook.
    Ludovico wrote:

Sociopath might be too strong a word to use, but he kills loads of people (more than any other Bond), a lot of the time when he doesn't even have to, and isn't affected by it at all. Also found this

"A sociopath is often well liked because of their charm and high charisma, but they do not usually care about other people."

I think that applies to Brosnan's Bond.

A Sociopath only has his/her best own interests at heart. He/she will not give any thought to the considerations of others.

You cannot apply that to any Bond we've seen so far. Sure, there may be similar traits i.e. the ability to kill in cold blood, but Bond will not compromise and kill innocents just to complete his objectives.

He's is prepared to sacrifice himself for Queen & Country. Those are not the attributes of a Sociopath.
    And a sociopath is selfish and has no empathy, this does not apply to Bond, in any incarnation. Okay, so Brosnan's Bond killed a lot of people. That had more to do with the weapons he used than any sociopathic tendencies.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Speeding and crashing through a packed out restaurant in a speedboat is clearly a perfect example of someone who is a man of the people.
    Something else I noticed that makes Brosnan's Bond stand out: he was a daredevil. This applies to the other Bonds too but none more than Brosnan. He was so confident and cocky that it was almost suicidal. Best example of this is GE, who in their right mind decides that the best course of action would be driving off a cliff to try and catch a plane in mid air?
    doubleoego wrote:
    Speeding and crashing through a packed out restaurant in a speedboat is clearly a perfect example of someone who is a man of the people.

To be fair he's not the only Bond to have done stuff like this. Craig didn't seem to care about all the people desperately trying to get out of the way when he used the bulldozer to chase the bombmaker in CR.

All the Bonds are pretty reckless.
    That wasn't meant as a criticism towards Brosnan but to highlight a point that as you said, is reckless and daredevilish but when one looks so cool and confident doing it, it's difficult to fault the man. After all, he has a license to kill not get killed. He has a job to do and looks so damn cool doing it.

With Craig's bulldozer, the workers at least had some sort of time to realise what was going on and move out the way but with Brosnan, those poor diners didn't see it coming. It's quite funny actually. Maybe Bond had dined there before and new the lay if the land so to speak.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    I personally think gadgets can be used as much as cleverness in a Bond film, and I hope it will be like this. Too many gadgets would make it cartoonish and too much of intelligence make it more of a common spy, if I can say. The films (most of them) showed us both of my first sentence, ideally.

Brosnan did an excellent job and never deserved to be so much discredited. He certainly inspired on both Moore and Connery (even Lazenby and Dalton but this in small quantity) and made of Bond, IMO, a "self-made medley" (so a mix and his own Bond).

To answer the original question, an actor in his 30's could bring some freshness and some let's call it "a few innocence". Meanwhile, still being the character we all know (classy, cold-blooded, womanizer...). A trained Bond and no more rookie. Indeed, a Bond a few missions after his very first.

BTW, I think he should be more attracted by the ladies and that to be shown ; I'd like to see more of the gentleman in the future Bond.
    And get some refusal (remember Brosnan with Wai Lin in TND :"we've developped some kind of attachment to each other => hopefully not for long", with Frost in DAD : "I'm not here to give you pleasure, Mr Bond." or something similar after the fencing scene) and battle to "win" his Bond Girl in spite of all his charms and qualities.

I like my Bond tough and want to see him get down and dirty when it comes to fisticuffs. It just wouldn't do for there to be an absence of this for me. The days of Bond grinning his way out of trouble just won't cut it.
  • I'd like to see a Bond that's sort of a wolf in sheeps clothing. Someone who acts like Roger Moore normally but then suddenly turns into Daniel Craig when he starts fighting.
    As it will be actor number 7 for 007? I would perhaps like to see a Connery type approach? But just seeing the series continue will please me!!! :-bd
    I'd like to see a Bond that's sort of a wolf in sheeps clothing. Someone who acts like Roger Moore normally but then suddenly turns into Daniel Craig when he starts fighting.

Good luck finding the actor for that.
  • Ludovico wrote:
    I'd like to see a Bond that's sort of a wolf in sheeps clothing. Someone who acts like Roger Moore normally but then suddenly turns into Daniel Craig when he starts fighting.

Good luck finding the actor for that.

found him

• Quite honestly I think I'd just like to wait and see how Craig stands after Bond 25, I would hate to see him give up the role too early as I feel was the case with both Dalton and Brosnan, they both deserved at least another film.
    I see a lot of movies and watch a lot of TV and i cant see any British actor out there at the moment that i could point to and say there's your next Bond. I do think that the next incumbant needs to be a little lighter in tone to distance himself from Craig's brooding nature. Also a slightly more sophisticated Bond i think ,someone who revels in the finest food and drink and high class surroundings much like Flemings original creation. Whoever that may be i dont envy him, Craig's going to be a tough act to follow. It's going to have to be someone with real balls to take him on.