My next project: Never say never again rescore

edited February 2014 in Fan Creations Posts: 56
Hi guys,

after successfully rescoring GoldenEye I'm going to tackle my next Bond project:

I'm going to rescore Never say never again.

Check out a little preview clip here:

Stay tuned!

All the best,

GoldenZen

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Oooooh! this is going to be good! :D
    Has been done before If I recall correctly, with Barry music and the movie was indeed more potent.
  • GoldenZen wrote:
    Hi guys,

after successfully rescoring GoldenEye I'm going to tackle my next Bond project:

I'm going to rescore Never say never again.

Check out a little preview clip here:

Stay tuned!

All the best,

GoldenZen

Looking forward to it. Anything will be better than the abomination we got. Cheesy 80s sitcom jazz music and James Bond don't mix. Ever.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 5,767
    I don´t think GE should be re-scored (hence I haven´t heard your version), but I´m all with you on re-scoring NSNA, @GoldenZen!
    That clip sounds fully professional as a piece of film music, but if I may say so, Bond needs to sound a little more aggressive.
  • Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to do this.

Here's the first official rescore part:

You make the point that so many of us knew from the very beginning, music is so important to a Bond film that if done wrong, the film will not succeed. Does anyone know if there is precedent for a film being re-orchestrated years after it's release. With today's technology it could surely be done fairly quickly and inexpensively. I would certainly pay to have a copy for a re-orchestrated film.
  • That would be amazing @CrabKey!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I like where this is going. :)
  • Thanks a lot @DarthDimi

Here's part two:

And here we go with the next clip - hope you enjoy it :)

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I, as well, would definitely buy a dvd of NSNA with THIS score.

Nice job, as usual ;)
    I thank you :)

And here's a little making of:

Great work! The music always killed this movie for me.

Do RoboCop 2 next! :P
  • XXXXXX Banned
    Wow good job wow just wow!
    Thank you so much guys, your feedback really means a lot to me.

Here are two new clips, some holiday feeling for you all :D

• There was that bootleg rescore by Blofeld's Cat a while back. I got hold of a copy, it's okay albeit polishing a turd somewhat. It mostly uses John Barry, but Bond 77, TSWLM pts, for the bike chase, which is nicely done. Also a use of Three Blind Mice to accompany Fatima Blush in the Bahamas.

Oddly, Barbara Carrera's performance comes across as credible, which it didn't in the original, while Brandauer seems a bit hammy in that edition. It still looks like a cheap movie.

Are you using the BluRay edition to score this against, GoldenZen?

I would even more prefer a rescoring of FYEO, and editing out the sillier bits.
    Cool intel, thanks @NapoleonPlural!

No I use the standart DVD version.

And here's the next part:

• SHAME ON ME!

I've forgotten to post updates in a while - I'm terribly sorry.

Anyways, NSNA rescore is going to be done not too late, here's the latest clip, the horse escape:

Cheers,

Yannick "GoldenZen"
    As much as Bond fans universally diss Madonna's Die Another Day, Never Say Never Again must be one of the most utterly boring songs of all time. It's lightweight 70s TV theme stuff cut from the same cloth as The Greatest American Hero. Today NASA is largely forgotten, but wouldn't it be great if it could be resurrected with a real Bond soundtrack. I get it. Copyrights. Ownership. And all the rest, but I'd pay to see NSNA with a real Bond score. If the studios won't do it, then someone who loves Bond and thinks NSNA could be the film Bond fans hoped it would be. Reworking a film isn't unprecedented.
    It already exists.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I'm pretty sure it's been rescored by someone on YouTube. I remember seeing the opening sequence rescored anyway.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2022 Posts: 14,861
    I must admit that I think I'd prefer it if they'd just limited themselves to using Barry's scores from around that time roughly. The version they did has Barry's style wildly veering from his 60s brassy style to his 80s symphonic style, and then adding Arnold in on top of that, which I find a bit distracting and not really sympathetic. If the choice were restricted from, say, Golden Gun to Daylights, I think it would feel more like an 80s film.

I think I probably prefer the Phyllis Hyman song too, although I do wonder why they didn't brass it up a bit. It's not actually all that dissimilar in feel to Licence To Kill.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Can we have the new thread merged in?
    I was working on that but it's a little harder to do so via phone. 😉
    Blofelds Cat aka Drummond Grieve did Never Say McClory Again, a fan edit of NSNA with music taken from the scores of EON Bond films. It's damned good for the most part, though of a couple of techno pieces feel out of place. The film was also reedited with a gunbarrel, PTS, title sequence, etc. Cleverly, the title song used was "History Repeating" by Shirley Bassey and Propellerheads. That edit was only released in SD. I understand he did another version of his edit in HD, but he used another title song and made further changes. I'm used to the original version he did so I don't particularly wish to see the newer one. I consider "McClory Again" an essential companion piece to the original NSNA cut.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    It already exists.

Good grief. I commented on this so long ago I forgot I'd posted something about it and actually remember seeing the You Tube version. It was good. The PTS with the GF score was quite clever. Also liked Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang title sequence. As redundant as I now sound, I would like to see the entire film rescored.