Mr Whites return

Comments

• Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    edited February 2014 Posts: 432
    RC7 wrote:

I've no idea whether Quantum will return in some capacity or not, whether fleetingly referenced or integral to the story. My reply was in reference to your question about the deleted QoS scene being canon. My answer to which would be, no.

Ok. thanks.
    Risico007 wrote:
    If quantum doesn't comeback yet Blofeld does it will make Diamonds Are a forever A view to a Kill and Die another day look like the godfather trilogy compared to the stupidity of that move.

quantum runs the world essentially they should get a few more films

Well said Risico007! Could not agree more! Give Quantum the opportunity to strike fear and chaos around the globe!
  • RC7RC7
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    If quantum doesn't comeback yet Blofeld does it will make Diamonds Are a forever A view to a Kill and Die another day look like the godfather trilogy compared to the stupidity of that move.

quantum runs the world essentially they should get a few more films

Well said Risico007! Could not agree more! Give Quantum the opportunity to strike fear and chaos around the globe!

Maybe next time they'll be the shadowy heathens behind the privatisation of a public service. The BBC, the NHS etc. Soon they'll control our water supply, our television, our hospitals. On Her Majesty's Secret Health Service, now that's a film I want to see.
  • If EON had the rights to use SPECTRE in 2008, I wonder if they would have used that instead of Quantum? Now that EON can use SPECTRE, I hope that they do--just have Quantum morph into it.
    If EON had the rights to use SPECTRE in 2008, I wonder if they would have used that instead of Quantum? Now that EON can use SPECTRE, I hope that they do--just have Quantum morph into it.

I think they would. The intention had to have been to have a replacement for SPECTRE.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited February 2014 Posts: 3,157
    I'd like to have the PTS of Bond 24 set between QoS and Skyfall; Bond kills the head of Quantum; song.
    Then the movie goes back to present time, a new mysterious organization surfaces, and - plot twist - it's either Quantum's head, this time heading a new organization named SPECTRE or someone really close to Quantum's head who brought the organization back.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    There is nothing stopping Quantum or other aspects from the series returning at some point. Of course the film happened, it was just not referenced in the last film. Except one line from M.

Which line?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Her "regret would be unprofessional" line when talking with Silva.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Her "regret would be unprofessional" line when talking with Silva.

I had never noticed that before. That's interesting. That was a very minor reference though.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Very minor but I liked it a lot. A nice touch.
    I also like how Bond uses the same sunglasses from QoS.
    That's Tom Ford for you. They may appear again later this year.
    I didn't know they were called Tom Ford. It seems like Mr. Craig likes using that kind.

QoS:
    Tom_Ford_sunglasses_quantum-564x640.jpg

SF:
    james-bond-skyfall-sunglasses-1.jpg
    Marko is their name.

Anyway, back to Mr. White.
    It's funny how a subject can change like that.
    So, after the opera scene Mr. White didn't seem to care about Bond anymore. Bond did shoot him and put him in the back of his car.
    Bond knows the secrets of his organization. I assume that's what Greene told him. So, Mr. White should go after him and take his revenge,
  • I would be surprised if Quantum or White returns for Bond 24. I for one love QOS and it was left open, but I'm betting that EON just moves on.
    I would be surprised if Quantum or White returns for Bond 24. I for one love QOS and it was left open, but I'm betting that EON just moves on.

With all due respect? I hope your instinct is wrong! I am hoping for a return of them both! [-O<
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 381
    QOS has its fans, but compared to Craig's other two films, I think that the general perception is that it was a misfire, despite doing very well at the box office. I doubt that the general movie going public cares about Quantum at this point. The way to go, IMHO, is just morph Quantum into SPECTRE. That would prevent QOS and Quantum from being just a dead-end and it would allow the film-makers a chance to bring in the iconic organization and retroactively link it to Craig's first two films.
  • RC7RC7
    QOS has its fans, but compared to Craig's other two films, I think that the general perception is that it was a misfire, despite doing very well at the box office. I doubt that the general movie going public cares about Quantum at this point. The way to go, IMHO, is just morph Quantum into SPECTRE. That would prevent QOS and Quantum from being just a dead-end and it would allow the film-makers a chance to bring in the iconic organization and retroactively link it to Craig's first two films.

Or simply leave Quantum, SPECTRE, White etc and give us something brand new and fresh. That's personally what I'm angling for. I'm hoping to be surprised by B24 and I have no doubt Logan and Mendes can deliver on that front. I just pray they don't feel obliged to include silly little nods like the gadget laden Aston. No sodding anniversaries this time around so hopefully we can get on with creating a few new icons.
  • A new Bond film is always going to be a catch 22. If they do something fresh and new and deviate from the Bond formula, people will say "That's not really a Bond film," but if they do stick to a tried-and-true formula, as they did for the Brosnan-era, people will call it 'patchwork," "tired," etc.
  • RC7RC7
    A new Bond film is always going to be a catch 22. If they do something fresh and new and deviate from the Bond formula, people will say "That's not really a Bond film," but if they do stick to a tried-and-true formula, as they did for the Brosnan-era, people will call it 'patchwork," "tired," etc.

I'd rather take the chance on something new than play it safe, wouldn't you?

• edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I think a SPECTRE return is just as likely as a Quantum one at the moment. They've got the Blofeld/SPECTRE rights back now and what'd be the point in that if they weren't even considering using them?
  • RC7 wrote:
    A new Bond film is always going to be a catch 22. If they do something fresh and new and deviate from the Bond formula, people will say "That's not really a Bond film," but if they do stick to a tried-and-true formula, as they did for the Brosnan-era, people will call it 'patchwork," "tired," etc.

I'd rather take the chance on something new than play it safe, wouldn't you?

I'm easy to please and think that it could work either way, or work with a happy medium.

edited February 2014 Posts: 13,350
    I think a SPECTRE return is just as likely as a Quantum one at the moment. They've got the Blofeld/SPECTRE rights back now and what'd be the point in that if they weren't even considering using them?

If EON have them, no one else can use them. That is why you'd want them back. They don't want another Never Say Never Again possibility.
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2014 Posts: 10,512

I'm not sure having the rights to Blofeld has instigated a kick bollocks scramble to immediately parachute him into the franchise. Having them back just covers EON against any further litigation. My gut feeling is that they won't do it, unless Logan/Mendes are absolutely adamant they have the perfect story to tell. Mendes seemed very reverent in the way he went about making SF, I just don't get the impression he's the type of director who would bring such a monumental icon of the series back to the fore without really serious consideration. Would you want to give yourself the extra headache, on top of knowing you have to somehow match or better a film that grossed $1bn and smashed the UK BO?

Maybe some would see it as the answer, but I don't think this is an Abrams/Kahn situation. I don't for one minute believe Mendes has any real interest in appeasing the apparent whims of fans. The only way this happens is if Logan has been mulling a Blofeld reboot for the past 3 years and has convinced Barbara, Michael and Mendes that this is the Bond film people need to see. They certainly won't be shoe-horning anything in.
    RC7 wrote:

I'm not sure having the rights to Blofeld has instigated a kick bollocks scramble to immediately parachute him into the franchise. Having them back just covers EON against any further litigation. My gut feeling is that they won't do it, unless Logan/Mendes are absolutely adamant they have the perfect story to tell. Mendes seemed very reverent in the way he went about making SF, I just don't get the impression he's the type of director who would bring such a monumental icon of the series back to the fore without really serious consideration. Would you want to give yourself the extra headache, on top of knowing you have to somehow match or better a film that grossed $1bn and smashed the UK BO?

Maybe some would see it as the answer, but I don't think this is an Abrams/Kahn situation. I don't for one minute believe Mendes has any real interest in appeasing the apparent whims of fans. The only way this happens is if Logan has been mulling a Blofeld reboot for the past 3 years and has convinced Barbara, Michael and Mendes that this is the Bond film people need to see. They certainly won't be shoe-horning anything in.

I agree. Although characters like Q and Moneypenny were brought back thanks to the fan service. Even M's classic office at the end of SF. Craig did say he wanted the old irony to return. So, it's hard to tell if they are going to go back with SPECTRE.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I don't see the point of bringing Blofeld back. At this point it would just be predictable fan service. at least the new Q was a new character and Moneypenny has a new nationality and new role.

Just because Blofeld wasn't translated perfectly in the Connery/Lazenby films doesn't mean he should be brought back. Doctor No of the film wasn't the same as the Novel Doctor no. He didn't like like a stereotypical Asian samurai or got killed by Bird guano. Mister Big was never called Doctor Kananga. LeChiffre wasn't thin or had a weird eye that wept blood. Hugo Drax of the book wasn't Space Hitler or pressed for cucumber sandwiches. So many of the iconic Bond villains were never translated page for page onto the screen Are we going to reboot them all so they were exact copies of their literary counterparts?
    Murdock wrote:
    So many of the iconic Bond villains were never translated page for page onto the screen Are we going to reboot them all so they were exact copies of their literary counterparts?

That's interesting.
    I think that it's best if they use original villains. Although I like the theatricality of the older ones. That's what makes them stand out. They did go back to the more traditional style with Silva. With creating a more memorable character. Because let's be honest, you don't remember much about villains like Kristatos or Koskov.