Bourne Continuation Books VS Bond Continuation Books

edited February 2014 in General Discussion Posts: 52
This is a discussion that I'm intrigued by: how do Lustbader's Bourne books compare to all the Bond Continuation books? I have a few categories we could use.
- Which one represents each character better? (Written better, stays true to character)
- How they compare to the original authors novels?
- Which one is better? (Quality wise)
- Which one is selling better? (Sales wise)

Opinions?

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I've only read a couple of Bourne books by Lustbader, but those that I did read were pretty damn good. They were faithful to the Ludlum originals, which I appreciated. Comparing their faithfulness to the Bond continuations... that's a little bit of a mixed bag. Early Gardner and the first couple Benson novels were faithful to Fleming, but later novels by each author were not (though I do appreciate Benson turning a decent piece of fiction out of that POS that is Die Another Day). I personally find the Bond continuations better (they're good novels, even if they're not good Bond novels), but that's just me. As far as selling better goes... You've got thirty-some-odd years of Bond continuations compared to ten years of Bourne continuations. Bond will probably always be selling better no matter what.
  • I guess when I mean sales I mean on a average not a overall measurement but just the average sales per book
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    That would probably be Bond anyway. Bond fandom has existed since at least 1962, and so the popularity of his brand would be higher, and more people would be buying the books whether they're good or not (I myself have fallen prey to this... Devil May Care). People have only cared about Bourne since roughly 2001/2002, and so whether or not his book are good, there's probably still a smaller fanbase, and as such, not as many people buying his books.