Sir Henrys passing

edited January 2014 in News Posts: 3,494
Alex Ferrell here. I regret to inform you of my father's (SirHenryLeeChaChing's) passing. He died two weeks ago due to hardening of the arteries. I know some of you got to know him as a friend, and a close friend. Greg Ferrell was a great man. And im sure I (and others) will miss him, as he loved you all.

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Thank you for informing us Alex and I am sorry to hear of your loss. Know that this forum mourns with you, for we have lost one of our greatest members.

Only three days before he died Greg sent me this message:

"Sam, I've been busy with other matters and just read of your father's passing. My deepest and sincerest condolences, I know how you feel. Almost 22 years later, I am still keenly aware of the day my Dad passed and some songs and movies I still can't listen to or watch without lots of tears because I miss him still. I'll be here for you if you ever need to talk, and will send healing energies your way as well."

Now, I will do the same.

Stay strong in the days ahead, Alex
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss Alex. My thoughts go out to you and your family. As someone who lost my own father recently, I can say. Stay strong and keep him in your heart as shall we.

Thanks for letting us know in this difficult of time.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited January 2014 Posts: 17,687
    oh no....

Thank you Alex.
    The greatest Bond fan ever has left. We will all be with him shortly...

crying now
    Very sorry to hear that! Thinking about you and your family.
  • Good grief. What awful news. I'd corresponded some with Mr. Ferrell but had no idea that he was ill, let alone terminally. Christ, I wish I could have told him goodbye.

Alex, I wish you the very best, and as someone who has recently lost not only my father, but my mother and brother too, I can assure you that there is life after death--in more ways than one.
  • Sorry to hear about that. My thoughts go out you and your family :(
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I may not have known @SirHenry as well as other members here, but I could tell he was a kind and knowledgeable man. I am sorry for your loss, Alex. You and your family have my condolences.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Oh, heavens...

This kind of stuff isn't meant to happen. I'm never good with these sorts of things, and this news just feels like a bad dream I will wake up from, if only that were true. No words could ever do the man proper justice, but SirHenry was one of the defining members of this forum, one of Bond's greatest fans, and a hell of a man in every shape of the imagination. I can't imagine this place without him, and feel more than a little sick over it to be honest. His insight, cheery demeanor and sharp as a tack wit will be severely missed around this old place. There are people born every day, but there was only one SirHenry, and he was my friend. I only hope he realized just how loved, appreciated and respected he was while on this earth. To SirHenry, a man whose legend will outlive us all...
    @};- @};- @};-
    This are really sad news... I'm shocked and really don't know what to say... My sincere condolences to you Alex and your family. @SirHenry, you will be deeply missed.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 3,236
    We'll all miss you, Sir Henry. You're with your wife now, so enjoy that. My sincere condolences to your whole family, Alex.

You're loved and will be missed, @SirHenryLeeChaChing. There's a reason you were picked to be the first ever honoree in the Friday salute, and you know that now better than ever. Until we're all reunited, then, life at MI6 will never be the same without you.
  • Very sorry to hear that... One really great member lost :(
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    life at MI6 will never be the same without you.
    ^ this
  • There's been too many deaths with regards to members on these pages just recently and this is another instance of sad news to learn of. Can be hard to find the right words at times like these, but can only offer condolences to yourself and other loved ones at this difficult time. Sir Henry was a valuable member of the MI6 pages and his absence will be felt by many. Sorry once again to hear of this news
  • My condolences Alex. Your father seemed like a really good guy.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 6,601
    All I can say is - I am shocked. We were not the deepest of friends, but he was such a big part of this forum and wasn't he having hope for a new love etc just recently? Very sad. My condolences to you, Alex and your family.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    This is shocking news. @SirHenry was a funny guy and one of Connery's biggest defenders. His posts were always a joy to read. He's definitely going to be missed. Thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones.
    I'm absolutely bloody stunned. Cannot believe it. I was only chatting with him on Jan 10. He was so happy about his life, the future that lay ahead. He was one of the first people on here to warmly welcome me and I probably got to know him better than anyone else.

I'm devastated for his family. Such a tragic loss and he's going to be missed by us all.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I just got home and am reading this news. I do not know what to say, but I will try say more later.

I am truly and deeply shocked and so very saddened. There are no words. I counted Greg as a friend, one I was so looking forward to meeting in person some day.

You have my thoughts and prayers, Alex, for you and all of your family. Please feel free to send me, or any of us who knew him, a PM. No matter how great a contributor he was here, or how big a Bond fan, he was far greater as a person and father.

He will be missed always. Please take care of yourself in every way, Alex. I know this is only an online community, but we are so sincere in what we are saying to you about your wonderful dad.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Thank you for telling us. I started crying the minute I read about it.

Your father was one of the kindest members we had here. When I joined here in September and told that I had lost my wife to cancer in 2011, he was so sympathetic and supportive, and not just because he was a widower himself, but because he was just a wonderful human being.

I thought he was absent because he was busy with the new lady in his life. I even congratulated him on his page a week ago, not knowing he had left this world by then.

I am not religious, but I genuinely believe that consciousness is what builds this universe, and that it can never disappear any more than space or time can disappear.
    There are members all over the world here who will miss him deeply. I hope you and the rest of the family will cope with it and be there for each other.

Love and sympathy from Norway.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    At this time I don't seem to be able to find the right words
    I've lost a Brother in Sir Henry's passing and I start today with a broken heart
    Rest quietly my old mate with all my love Coggins.
  • RC7RC7
    This is absolutely dreadful. His wit and knowledge will be missed around these parts. I'm deeply saddened. RIP Sir.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear this Alex. My condolences go to you and your family in what must be a horrible time. Greg seemed like a great individual and I can assure you that his passion about all things Bond was evident in his detailed posts. I never met him in person but I had a few discussions with him on here and you could tell he was an articulate, interesting man. He appeared to have a knowledge of the ups and downs of life that I could only dream of.

I'm sure he must have been a wonderful father.
  • Dragonpol2Dragonpol2 The Crazy World of Daniel Dragonpol
    edited January 2014 Posts: 145
    I'm shocked and deeply saddened by the loss of your father Greg Ferrell, @SirHenryLeeChaChing's passing. I had thought that he was busy in his own life as I knew he had a new love in his life. I corresponded many times with Sir Henry during my short time here and he advised me over the BaB recriutment affair. He was a staunch friend and ally when I happened to need one and I enjoyed all of his contributions to this community. He was like one of our extended family and though I never met him in person, I extend my deepest sympathy to you and your family for this terrible loss of a great human being. Sir Henry will be greatly missed on this community - he was one of its leading lights that has now been extinguished, but he will live on in our hearts and minds forever. His Originals thread was of legendary status and he put so much work into it. If you need any support we are only a PM away, Alex, so don't hesitate to get in touch. Thank you for taking the time to get in touch with us - we really appreciate it at this difficult time.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Alex, my deepest condolences to you and your family. As has been said before your father was one of the greatest members on this forum. Always there to help members in a dificult time, always there with humour and wit to entertain and always there with insights none of us had thought of before. As I understand he's lead a joyfull life. He often remembered his wife in so many positive ways.

He will indeed be missed.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Dear God. I am truly stunned. His warmth and wit will be sorely missed. I counted SirHenry as a friend. Outstanding member and an even better person. Thank you for informing us about your fathers passing Alex. My condolences to you and to your family.

Greg Ferrell was a legend. Here's to you, sir.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I'm in a bit of a shock right now. I heard about it from @4EverBonded, I had discussed with her that I was worried he hadn't made contact for a while. I want to thank Alex for having come here to tell us what happened.
    I had the priviledge to get to know Greg/SirHenry on a more personal level and I counted him as a friend. The news of his passing leave me speachless. The only thing I can do is to offer my deepest condolences to his family and to say that he will always be remembered as one of the very best.
    My sincere condolences to you, @Alex. You father was one of the most-valued members of this community. His entries were always of the most respectable sort. May he live on by keeping inspiring the rest of us!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I have just learned of the sad passing of @SirHenryLeeChaChing I am truly saddened to learn this. He was always such a happy member, with as far as I recall not a bad word to say about anyone. Unless of course they deserved it. He suffered no fools I know that from his occasional PM's to me. But he was a loyal member who I remember from the old site and made the transition to this new community. His posts were always worth reading, and he brought not only a great Bondian knowledge, but also the world knowledge that he could share as well.
    I feel very grateful to have known him if only through this site. He was a very kind and generous person who will be sorely missed from these pages. I know from our conversations that he was very proud of you @Alex, and I am truly sorry for your loss.
    Please let me know if there is anyway I can be of help to you and your family at this sad time.
    May a great member rest in peace.

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited January 2014 Posts: 7,314
    This is just terrible. I can't find the words. I just logged in and was just blown away to read this. I'm so sorry for your loss Alex. Also, for everyone here who was really close to him, you have my condolences. I will miss him a lot and I haven't even known him for half as long as some of you. Very sad indeed.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,350
    @SirHenryLeeChaChing often spoke of his own son, recently turned 13, joining the forum at some stage. Does anyone know if this happened, will happen, or is that person Alex?