What if George Lazenby had been in Diamonds Are Forever?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2013 Posts: 28,694
    0013 wrote:
    I agree with the degeneration in the character personality but I have not problem with his changes in physical appearance as it is in the novels.
    But you're right, it's so inconsistent that the theories proposed by some members are requiered (like the two clones hyphothesis and the two timelines lemma).

I have even heard some people say that placing FYEO before DAF yet right after OHMSS in the timeline makes more sense than what we got, and it does because at least in the FYEO PTS there is a sense of anger and revenge from Bond, though small. Now, how Blofeld survived the fall (if it was him) I have no idea.
    If I remember correctly, the two timelines lemma says that TB diverges in two temporal narratives: (1) TB - OHMSS - FYEO and (2) TB - YOLT - DAF
    Others have said that YOLT's was a clone of Blofeld.
    I'm sorry that I have payed credit to the people that propose this but I can't remember who was exactly...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    0013 wrote:
    If I remember correctly, the two timelines lemma says that TB diverges in two temporal narratives: (1) TB - OHMSS - FYEO and (2) TB - YOLT - DAF
    I'm sorry that I have payed credit to the people that propose this but I can't remember who was exactly...

I am an advocate of the former, since the latter means no Tracy and we lose a lot of who Bond is by getting rid of OHMSS in the timeline of events. I haven't seen YOLT in ages, something that needs remedied, but has it ever been explained why Blofeld has a scar?
    Perhaps he lost the scar with the operations in DAF, assuming the former timeline.
    edited May 2013 Posts: 28,694
    0013 wrote:
    Perhaps he lost the scar with the operations in DAF, assuming the former timeline.

Maybe, but why does he have the scar in the first place? Is it in the novels or something, or even explained in the films why he has it?? I can't recall any instances where it is discovered or even hinted at why he does.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 388
    Maybe, but why does he have the scar in the first place? Is it in the novels or something, or even explained in the films why he has it?? I can't recall any instances where it is discovered or even hinted at why he does.

It's not mentioned in the novels and not mentioned in the film either.

The real-life reason is that Jan Werich was cast as Blofeld and dismissed after a week's filming for not being threatening enough. Donald Pleasance was brought in as a replacement and experimented with various physical defects to give the character some menace. They included things like a hunchback and a lame hand but Pleasance settled on a scar.

I wonder if they would have put something in the script if the scar hadn't been such a late addition to the character?
    I recently found these photos in the Terry O'Neill's book "All About Bond," which helps in speculating, "What if George Lazenby had been in Diamonds Are Forever." Interestingly, Lazenby really was the perfect Bond, he even dated a Bond girl, before she was a Bond girl! I wonder how Lazenby felt when he found out that his current girlfriend Jill St John had become the next Bond leading lady? Rumor has it, that Connery had an affair with her on the set of Diamonds Are Forever. Ouch, that's gotta hurt!

Scan_29.jpg

Scan_30.jpg
    Also, I recently found this artwork by Steve Sistilli that captures the essence of what I was trying to achieve with my trailer.

diamonds_are_forever_art_tribute.jpg
    online photo storage
    What a fantastic find that is. Love it.
    A couple of more Lazenby photos from Terry O'Neill's book "All About Bond."

Scan_32.jpg

Scan_33.jpg
    Jarrod wrote:
    Also, I recently found this artwork by Steve Sistilli that captures the essence of what I was trying to achieve with my trailer.

diamonds_are_forever_art_tribute.jpg
    online photo storage

That is incredible! Awesome picture!!! :O
    I decided to take it even a step further. What if George Lazenby had been in Live And Let Die?

Wow I really love that- as much as your DAF one from before!
    I especially love how you took advantage of David Hedison's footage from LALD & LTK to make the story the way it should have been in the first place! And by avoiding the closeups, Roger Moore & Carole Bouquet could easily be Lazenby and Seymour in the water.
    Well done indeed!
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    @Jarrod, very nice work there. I concur that it was a nice touch by adding in the lost parts of the novel. I now know how much less I would like that film without Sir Roger in it!
    Thanks guys, for watching! Really appreciate it. Yeah, seeing that OHMSS, stayed pretty close to the original novel, I thought Lazenby's LALD should as well (especially since his DAF was turned into a revenge film after Tracy's death). Where I find Connery's DAF to be an unsuccessful follow-up for OHMSS' conclusion, I find LALD a real nice introduction for Moore. This trailer was much more of a "what if?" scenario, rather than suggesting "this is how it should of been." I'd been working (slowly) on this for months, and just forced myself to finish it, late last night. Again, thanks for watching and your comments!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Fun watch, @Jarrod. Thanks! Planning to do any more what if trailers?
    Hmmm, well, different ideas have crossed my mind. Like John Gavin in DAF, Dalton in OHMSS, Lazenby in TLD or AVTAK, etc, etc. But no plans just yet, since I just finished this one.
    Would love to see the one with Dalton in OHMSS. Make it the 1980s if so. Bond should not be in his 20s.
    If you make Dalton in GoldenEye I'll buy you a house
    If you make Dalton in GoldenEye I'll buy you a house

Will you buy him Goldeneye?
    Yeah, Dalton in Goldeneye, I've thought about that one as well. One of the problems with making "what if" trailers, is finding the right amount of footage that can be squeezed into a Bond framework. Problem with Dalton, is that he mostly did a lot of costume/ period pieces that don't necessarily fit into the Bond mold. Lazenby and his 70s mustache appearances caused me the same problem.
    Roger Moore in DAF should not be so hard to do, then? Perhaps. Another good what if scenario.
    Yeah, Roger Moore in DAF could definitely be done. But since he was already in seven Bond films, it may come across as overkill. Lazenby and Dalton make for a more fascinating "what if" since they were in such few films.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 45,489
    Lazenby in TB (edit: 1983, instead of NSNA) or Dalton in TSWLM would be fascinating to see. If you want suggestions that are not decades apart.
    Yeah, those are all great. Thanks for the suggestions! :)
  • If George Lazenby had been in Diamonds Are Forever it would make the 2014 Mid-Atlantic Nostalgia Convention an even better Bond-themed event. This year, both George Lazenby and Lana Wood are scheduled to be there for photos, autographs and special screenings. Lazenby is attending a special screening of On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Wood is going to be present for screenings of some of her television appearances early in her career. The event is set to take place at the Hunt Valley Wyndham Hotel, Hunt Valley, Md., Sept. 18-20. All the info is here: http://midatlanticnostalgiaconvention.com
    As one reads the various posts speculating as to "what if," I can't help but reflect on a series that despite having given fans so much pleasure its missteps and inconsistencies have been a continual source of irritation. Had the series had been filmed in the order the books were published, so many of the irritating inconsistencies would have been eliminated.

I wouldn't have minded GL taking on DAF. It couldn't have been any worse.
    What if George Lazenby's career as Bond had lasted as far up to 1989 with License To Kill? Lazenby would have been 50 years of age, a pretty good time to retire an actor playing Bond. This teaser trailer I made, suggests this notion.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    0013 wrote: »

I appreciate the effort, but it really is just a terrible lapse in continuity that cannot be explained logically (not for the first time in the Bond films). It would have made more sense if OHMSS had opened with plastic surgery on Bond, but then that would have made Connery's return in DAF the new continuity error.

Moore and Dalton's Bonds reference Tracy enough that it is clear that Tracy carries through the '70s and the '80s.
  • Jarrod wrote: »
    What if George Lazenby's career as Bond had lasted as far up to 1989 with License To Kill? Lazenby would have been 50 years of age, a pretty good time to retire an actor playing Bond. This teaser trailer I made, suggests this notion.

I'm dying to watch that, but I tried on my computer and iPhone and both times it said 'private video' :(
    I bet it's awesome though like the others. What a different direction those movies could have gone- and I agree 50 would have been a great age to retire. Having George as Bond from age 29-50.... it would have almost been like we followed "James Bond's" career from beginning to end. A unique and vastly different take on the Bond movies, no doubt.

I remember throwing together a Lazenby LTK poster a few years back and he didn't age well I'm afraid, lol
    Not that I'm saying this would have worked in a million years- but I just happened to come across Lazenby's 1989 acting headshot and thought 'what the hell'!

LazenbyLTK.jpg