George Lazenby and Pierce Brosnan's War of Words

Comments

• Bradford4 wrote:
    Doubtful... with his recent problems there would probably be two hits. Laz hitting the whiskey bottle, and Laz hitting his wife.

First of all I'm not sure what that has to do with Lazenby/Brosnan. Secondly why is it that people rag on Lazenby for supposedly hitting his wife but when Connery not only admits it but sort of glorifies it people cheer him on?
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Bradford4 wrote:
    Doubtful... with his recent problems there would probably be two hits. Laz hitting the whiskey bottle, and Laz hitting his wife.

First of all I'm not sure what that has to do with Lazenby/Brosnan. Secondly why is it that people rag on Lazenby for supposedly hitting his wife but when Connery not only admits it but sort of glorifies it people cheer him on?

Has Connery admitted to hitting his wife? I've never heard that. Yes I've heard the whole "slapping" issue but thats about it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited January 2014 Posts: 45,489
    :)) Please Marduk! Make this Bros/Laz fight happen! This thread is becoming my favourite.
    Broz isn't a particularly tough figure agreed but I do get the feeling that, overall, he is the nicer bloke in real life - despite his misjudged comments while being Bond (and afterwards).

Also, apparently Broz did play Rugby while at school according to his own admission so don't rule him out entirely either ;)

(whether he's telling the truth or not who knows)
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 5
    Really? You got that impression with Brosnan more than Connery, Lazenby, and to a lesser extent Dalton?

I'm not saying Brosnan was the first tough Bond in history, I'm saying he was the first tough Bond in my history. I grew up watching Moore. Connery was my dad's boring Bond. Dalton wasn't Moore so I skipped him. Brosnan brought me back and opened my eyes to the idea that Bond is a highly trained individual. I'm not saying Brosnan is the toughest, or that he would beat all the other actors in a real or fictional fight, I was just commenting that I think it's funny many consider him the "pansy" Bond when it was the opposite for me. But everyone has a different timeline, eh?

To each his own. After all, coffee isnt my cup of tea.
  • RC7RC7
    I was just commenting that I think it's funny many consider him the "pansy" Bond when it was the opposite for me.

Some people just have an agenda. Brosnan is fucking brilliant. He nursed his wife through cancer, watched his son almost die and then witnessed his adopted daughter succumb to the disease that took his wife. All the while he has maintained a level of humility, respect, but also passion for Bond. His reaction to being 'let go' exemplifies how passionate he was about the character and the movies. He was bitter, but then if you really care about something, you'd do the same. You certainly wouldn't display the level of ambivalence exhibited by Lazenby. For the record, I think Brosnan would absolutely kick the shit out of Lazenby. He's a weak old man who married a woman and then took her money. That in my book is the action of pussy.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    RC7 wrote:
    I was just commenting that I think it's funny many consider him the "pansy" Bond when it was the opposite for me.

Some people just have an agenda. Brosnan is fucking brilliant. He nursed his wife through cancer, watched his son almost die and then witnessed his adopted daughter succumb to the disease that took his wife. All the while he has maintained a level of humility, respect, but also passion for Bond. His reaction to being 'let go' exemplifies how passionate he was about the character and the movies. He was bitter, but then if you really care about something, you'd do the same. You certainly wouldn't display the level of ambivalence exhibited by Lazenby. For the record, I think Brosnan would absolutely kick the shit out of Lazenby. He's a weak old man who married a woman and then took her money. That in my book is the action of pussy.

Post of the Day sir. ^:)^
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 1,778
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Bradford4 wrote:

Has Connery admitted to hitting his wife? I've never heard that. Yes I've heard the whole "slapping" issue but thats about it.

With all due respect @Bain123 I don't think a man who responds to questions about hitting woman with "They have to learn" and "It's best to do it with an open hand" has too much respect for the opposite sex. Connery has done pretty much everything to confirm it except say "Yesh dear boy. I give my wife a good thrashing every now and then".
    RC7 wrote:

I don't doubt that Brosnan is emotionally strong as he has lost alot in life but I don't see how that would aid him in a physical altercation. Emotionally tough, Yes. But physically he's a fee fee boy. In a fist fight the advantage would go to the man who has more experience and is bigger, stronger, faster, and tougher and that's easily Lazenby. Let's not romanticize it.

And while Brosnan most definitely has my sympathy as a human being that doesn't mean I'm going to overlook his obvious weaknesses as an actor and the childish and immature manner he responded to EON moving on with the franchise without him for what ended up being several years. The man just wouldn't give it a rest and came off like a spoiled little child who didn't get what he wanted for Christmas and was going to let everyone know.
  • Bradford4Bradford4 Banned
    Here, Here, RC7! Pierce is truly a delightful man in real life I think that's clear from all reports.
    I just have to say this. Brosnan gets much more sympathy from me on a personal level, OTOH Lazenby and OHMSS is 1000 times better than Brosnan and his four films combined. This whole thread amuses me to death and I hope they both read it, who knows what will come of it?
    I've never really cared if Bond looked tough, I like the idea of Bond being underestimated by his enemies.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Bradford4 wrote:

With all due respect @Bain123 I don't think a man who responds to questions about hitting woman with "They have to learn" and "It's best to do it with an open hand" has too much respect for the opposite sex. Connery has done pretty much everything to confirm it except say "Yesh dear boy. I give my wife a good thrashing every now and then".

Good point :p

• edited January 2014 Posts: 11,425
    I've never really cared if Bond looked tough, I like the idea of Bond being underestimated by his enemies.

Absolutely. I also like the sense of Bond being physically vulnerable. I actually think Roger was very good at that. Not because he looked like a wimp, but because you didn't feel he was necessarily going to come out on top in a fight. Brosnan I felt was not just physically underwhelming (which was the main problem) but had so little presence - you felt no one would look twice if he walked into a room. He always has to strut/swagger around to emphasise how important he is.

One of Craig's drawbacks for me is that he looks like a bruiser and you always sense he's going to win a fight. Even Connery conveyed fear and a sense of being on the back foot better than DC.

• edited January 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Jarrod wrote:
    I kinda have a feeling that Pierce Brosnan was kind of just parroting the general consensus of George Lazenby at the time. He was known as the one film, one time Bond that was buried in an unloved Bond film (at the time). I'm not sure his comment was meant to be a personal one, but for all intentions it came off that way. George Lazenby has always been outspoken about his feelings about Bond, which can be pretty funny at times. But I kinda wonder if Lazenby had any run-ins with Brosnan (before he was Bond), because they were both pretty locked into TV land in the early 80s. I think the rivalry they have is kind of hilarious, still love them both! Sort of felt Craig Ferguson was winding him up a bit, as well as bringing up Lazenby at all. The media is trying to keep the rivalry alive.
    Yes I do think Broz is guilty of having looked for the safe answer regarding Laz - that safe talk-show answer.
    But as someone else pointed out Broz's comments do underscore how clueless he was regarding the actual rep of OHMSS and Lazenby within the educated (Bond educated) global community.
    Broz does seem like a decent sort, but he misspoke regarding the Bond legend that is Laz, and the Bond brilliance that is the Peter Hunt masterpiece OHMSS.

Despite this he still refuses to live like anything less than a multi-millionaire so he marries a rich woman, divorces her, takes half her money, and is now presently worth well over $30 million.

Wow! Laz is worth $30 million. That is nuts! He has done exceptionally well for having starred in only one major film.
  • RC7RC7
    edited January 2014 Posts: 10,512
    Getafix wrote:
    Brosnan I felt was not just physically underwhelming (which was the main problem) but had so little presence - you felt no one would look twice if he walked into a room. He always has to strut/swagger around to emphasise how important he is.

Personally, I would contest this. Having met several people who have met Brosnan - an exec producer on Parkinson, a consultant based at Pinewood and a friend who produced the 2002 BAFTA special, they all commented on how magnetic he was. They said it was amusing to watch the reaction of both men and women whenever he was in the room. The BAFTA producer said the only other person she'd met who was as captivating and magnetic was Alan Rickman. A close friend who recently worked with Mendes said he had a particularly magnetic aura. I wouldn't say this necessarily translates to screen, although it's hard to tell from a simple Mendes interview.
    Perhaps this 'presence' doesn't translate to screen for certain people, but I always found Brosnan to be a slick performer who had a certain assuredness that only Connery and Moore could compete with.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 4,622
    I didn't find Broz's presence translated well onto screen, at least not in tux, formal attire and such. He couldn't move like Laz or Sean. He lacked their natural athleticism and panther gait. He lacked an aura of danger. Really, too much Remington Steele coming through and not enough deadly 00 agent.
    Broz was more convincing when running around in combat gear, blasting away with his guns, and passable in some fight scenes that weren't too obviously choreographed, ie acting as action hero, with the full support of the production company.
    Connnery and Laz also had the advantage of being young men, which is why I have always said, cast the new Bonds young, so we can get some prime years out of them.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 12,837
    According to multiple sources, The Night of the Doctor is a supplemental episode of Series 7. Like most things released officially by the BBC, we have to accept it into Who canon, but in terms of what makes something a full length episode, TNotD is not. In your theory, we would have to count Good as Gold and the Pond Life as part of Series 7, or the comic relief shorts as official episodes.

It's still an official performance. It was five minutes long and put on Youtube but he was playing the part again in a proper, BBC produced short (rather than him just making his own film or something) written by Steven Moffat, so it counts. So he's played the part more than once.

Plus it's a bit more important than the comic relief and children in need stuff given that it showed him die and turn into John Hurt, which set up the 50th.
    RC7 wrote:

Well said.
    RC7 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Brosnan I felt was not just physically underwhelming (which was the main problem) but had so little presence - you felt no one would look twice if he walked into a room. He always has to strut/swagger around to emphasise how important he is.

Personally, I would contest this. Having met several people who have met Brosnan - an exec producer on Parkinson, a consultant based at Pinewood and a friend who produced the 2002 BAFTA special, they all commented on how magnetic he was. They said it was amusing to watch the reaction of both men and women whenever he was in the room. The BAFTA producer said the only other person she'd met who was as captivating and magnetic was Alan Rickman. A close friend who recently worked with Mendes said he had a particularly magnetic aura. I wouldn't say this necessarily translates to screen, although it's hard to tell from a simple Mendes interview.
    Perhaps this 'presence' doesn't translate to screen for certain people, but I always found Brosnan to be a slick performer who had a certain assuredness that only Connery and Moore could compete with.

As Timmer says, I don't think Brosnan projects well as Bond on screen. I don't doubt he's charming in person or even that he's much better in a number of other films and roles. I just always felt his performances felt very small and weedy as Bond - he brings that light TV show quality with him. For me he has the air of a catalogue model - obviously good looking, but perhaps not particularly interesting or charismatic. Entirely subjective view on my part of course and clearly millions disagreed. His female following still seems to be absolutely huge.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Brosnan taking on Lazenby in a real physical altercation would get his behind handed to him. Never mind the professional training Laz has as a fighter but as a young lad the guy grew up as a rough and tough rascal. Laz may showcase some despicable qualities as a person at times but in no way would he suffer any kind of physical defeat from Brosnan. Not in a million years.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Lazenby in his prime would win but he's 74 and he looks well past it. Brosnan is 60 but he looks pretty good for his age, he could beat Laz easily now. Here's both of them circa 2013

1-wm90015.jpg

George%2BLazenby%2BCelebs%2B7th%2BAnnual%2BBritWeek%2B3O5ekg9TbnDl.jpg

If they were both young then yeah Lazenby would win easily but Brosnan could beat the sh*t out of him now.
    Personally I think Brosnan has a fairly decent presence onscreen. Yes he is a bit lightweight sometimes and not as physicallyimposing as Laz or Connery but I always thought he was still pretty slick and I'm quite certain I'd notice him if he walked into a room.

I remember seeing this old review of GE and I think it sums things up nicely:

The new 007, Pierce Brosnan, hasn't the rugged virility of Sean Connery, and there are moments early on when you half-expect him to produce a box of Milk Tray instead of a gun. But he settles into the role - he has the authority, "straight" good looks of an old-fashioned matinee idol and a self-mocking Englishness which brings him close to the sophisticated Old Etonian Ian Fleming had in mind

I more or less agree. Even if it is from The Daily Mail
  • Brosnan has the best gun barrel.
    Both pale in comparison to Dan Craig anyway.
    I heard of at least one incident where Connery punched his wife in the back of her head (she had been out dancing with some men) when she came in thru the door , Connery was waiting in the dark so as to surprise her (and teach her a lesson I guess).
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 1,778
    Lazenby in his prime would win but he's 74 and he looks well past it. Brosnan is 60 but he looks pretty good for his age, he could beat Laz easily now. Here's both of them circa 2013

1-wm90015.jpg

George%2BLazenby%2BCelebs%2B7th%2BAnnual%2BBritWeek%2B3O5ekg9TbnDl.jpg

If they were both young then yeah Lazenby would win easily but Brosnan could beat the sh*t out of him now.

Don't let age fool you. The term "Old Man Strength" exists for a reason. My grandfather was in his late 70s and was still deceptively strong. He'd challenge people to arm wrestling and they'd think it was just a joke until the realized that the old man still had alot of upper body strength. And take into account Brosnan, as a young man, was still probably a feefee boy. Now only more so. I'd still give the edge to a 74 year old Lazenby over a 60 year old Brosnan. They're both older so the odds stay the same.

On a side note I think it's hilarious that we're discussing this. In a good way. Kind of like the old "My dad can beat the hell out of your dad" schoolyard debate.
    Tracy wrote:
    I heard of at least one incident where Connery punched his wife in the back of her head (she had been out dancing with some men) when she came in thru the door , Connery was waiting in the dark so as to surprise her (and teach her a lesson I guess).

The Kevin and Bean show had some great Connery impersonations on their show. They've since been taken down but this one is still up.

For me I like my Bond atleast a little physically imposing. He's a former SAS operative meaning he's a badass. He should never come off as a light-weight. Maybe if he's trying to lull his enemies into a false sense of security but just given the fact that he's a double oh agent and his opponent knows it that would seem kind of pointless. Besides Brosnan always came off as a lightweight. I never once bought him going through rigorous and intense military combat training like I did with Connery, Craig, and Lazenby. And to a lesser extent Dalton.
    Brosnan has the best gun barrel.

To me his was always the worst. He looked like he was walking down a fashion model walkway. Even Brosnan said in one of his commentaries that he wished he could re-do it.
    I don't want to sound like a Brozzer basher but I can only remember one fight where Brosnan actually looked good, and that's the first one he was involved in as 007.
    I'm refering to the fight on the boat after the Goldeneye PTS where he litteraly throws his unsuspecting opponent down a flight of stairs. The fight versus 006 isn't bad either.

However, every fight Lazenby was a part of was absolute mayhem. You must know, as I found out reading "The making of On her majesty secret service" that he actually fought for real while rehearsing the hotel fight. USRR wrestler Yuri Borienko (who played Gunther in the film) teached George the fine points of film fighting, a little too roughly for Lazenby's taste. Result? A real fight broke out and wrestler Borienko got his nose broken. Talk about being and playing it tough...

Bottom line, I would have LOVED to see Big George smash more bodies for a few more films...

• RC7RC7
    edited January 2014 Posts: 10,512
    Sure, Lazenby was a thug in the 60's. The poor guy couldn't fight off a cold these days, though.
    Is Bond really supposed to have been in the SAS? I never heard that before. I thought he was ex Royal Navy.