Austin Powers (1997 - 2002)

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
edited October 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,380
New Line Cinema and Mike Myers are reportedly close to a deal that would bring the comedian's spy spoof Austin Powers back for a fourth installment.

Movie blog HitFlix claimed that the deal was sealed yesterday, but <a href="http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/13/idUS414987361120110813"; target="_blank">trade press</a> and sources from within the production said the final details had yet to be worked out (HitFlix jumped the gun), although all signs were pointing to an agreement soon. Negotiations were said to have been taking place for over a year.

The Austin Powers series has been a tremendous success at the box-office. The first film, "Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery", clocked up $67.6m from just a $16.5m budget in 1997. The 1999 sequel, "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me," brought in an astonishing $312, from a $33m budget, before the third outing "Austin Powers in Goldmember" tapered off slightly with $296m from a $63m budget in 2002. "Goldmember" opened 5 months ahead of Pierce Brosnan's swansong as 007 in "Die Another Day".

The success of Austin Powers, which lampooned the classic James Bond films, was partly responsible for the lack of gadgets and one-liners in the Daniel Craig era so far.

If the fourth film is green-lit, it is expected to be released sometime in 2013.

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Here's my post from the 'Upcoming Films' thread, on the subject:

Well, as the web goes crazy with this AP news, here's what the ever reliable Deadline has to say: http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/whats-really-happening-with-mike-myers-and-austin-powers-4/

In short, no deal has been done yet though one had been put out to Myres - six months ago - and only now is he showing interest in it. Weird.

Also it seems a signed 2008 deal for a fouth film didn't happen, so no wonder New Line seem to have given up on the idea and aren't holding their breath this time round.

You've also got to ask after 10+ years is there any point to bringing it back? Myres will soon be 50 and honestly how many of these "resurrected" franchises have really worked? I count one: Die Hard.

I reckon there's a strong chance of a(nother) signed deal going nowhere - we'll see.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I think three was enough. Goldmember was recycled material from The Spy Who Shagged Me.

I call Austin Powers: Thunderballs
  • Does anyone else find it ironic that a film series that poked fun at how "predictable" the Bond series ended up in just 3 films being just as "predictable" and "tired" as the films they were poking fun at? Sure it'd be one thing if the story flowed in the same formula but all of the jokes used in Goldmember were almost exactly the same as the previous two. Atleast Bond took 7 or 8 films before they started recyling their material.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Being a Bond spoof, this is somewhat more meaningful ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    A new one? It's missed it's target by 12 years. I thought the first one was quite good, but I was about 14 when I saw it. If you ask me, I think the joke has long worn thin.
    Cant say I am looking forward. It wasnt so much Bourne but Austin Powers which did damage to the Bond franchise by getting into the producers psyche so they wont do a Stromberg or Drax type tale ever again.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 11,189
    The third Austin Powers film Goldmember came out in 2002 - the same year as DAD. AP didn't stop EON from approving of characters like Mr Kil and they effectively damaged their own credibility.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 2,107
    You could say that "Kil" was murder for Bond. You know because his name is Kil and he murders people and franchises.
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,350
    In the 'new' Bond era, beginning next year will Austin Powers even be relevant? It'll still be parodieing long gone Bond films in the eyes of the public, from over a decade ago. Hell, I'd argue it's not relevant for the last two films' 'Bond Begins' arc!
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 503
    A new one? It's missed it's target by 12 years.
    Possibly, but I think it's a great opportunity for them to parody the newly rebooted Craig era Bond, which would not have been possible had they done a 4th film soon after their 2002 entry. I think we'll be seeing a lot of references to the gritty Craig era in AP4, just like we're seeing in Johnny English 2.
  • A new one? It's missed it's target by 12 years.
    Possibly, but I think it's a great opportunity for them to parody the newly rebooted Craig era Bond, which would not have been possible had they done a 4th film soon after their 2002 entry. I think we'll be seeing a lot of references to the gritty Craig era in AP4, just like we're seeing in Johnny English 2.
    How could possibly parody the new Craig era? James Bond can change and people will accept as they're action films. But comedies can't stray too far from what got them laughs in the first place. And why do all these films have to parody Bond? Can't they think of there own stuff. Mike Myers is probably pushing this considering how he hasn't had any live-action hits since his Austin Powers films. Yeah he was the voice of Shreck but that was just his voice. The Love Guru flopped pretty badly.
  • This is a classic case of a fading star desperately hoping that a return to a popular former character will bring back his box office mojo (pun intended). Like Stallone with Rocky and Rambo, Ford with Indiana Jones, Myers with Shrek...

I think that Austin Powers' time is past unless they do a fish out of water comedy with him lost inside a gritty Bourne-style film. Which may not be as funny as it sounds...
    A new one? It's missed it's target by 12 years.
    How could possibly parody the new Craig era? James Bond can change and people will accept as they're action films. But comedies can't stray too far from what got them laughs in the first place. And why do all these films have to parody Bond? Can't they think of there own stuff. Mike Myers is probably pushing this considering how he hasn't had any live-action hits since his Austin Powers films. Yeah he was the voice of Shreck but that was just his voice. The Love Guru flopped pretty badly.
    Nail. On. The. Head.

That's the issue with doing another film. One, what would you do? Two, will the audience be there over ten years later?

Even if a deal is done I could still see this fading away. It just seems to be the "in thing" of the last few days.
  • Ghost of Cubby help us all. However, the Moore and Brosnan eras should provide Myers with plenty of material.
  • This is a classic case of a fading star desperately hoping that a return to a popular former character will bring back his box office mojo (pun intended). Like Stallone with Rocky and Rambo, Ford with Indiana Jones, Myers with Shrek...

I think that Austin Powers' time is past unless they do a fish out of water comedy with him lost inside a gritty Bourne-style film. Which may not be as funny as it sounds...
    I completley agree. Austin Powers isn't a timeless character and really belongs in the 90s. Yes, the last one came out in 2002 but by then the series felt tired and worn out. It was kinda original when the first one came out but honestly I don't think there should have been any more after the first movie. I never thought they were that funny to begin with and were a one-trick pony that for some reason became the flavor of the month.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 2,107
    My hunch is that if this gets made during this time period, it would spoof re-boots. You know, because there's all these re-boots / beginning stories these days and Austin Powers 4, after a decade, would be a reboot / beginning story itself, which would mean that it would also spoof itself spoofing all these... Oh, no, I've gone cross-eyed

Anyway, Dr. Evil was much better character than Austin. Much funnier.
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,350
    My hunch is that if this gets made during this time period, it would spoof re-boots. You know, because there's all these re-boots / beginning stories these days and Austin Powers 4, after a decade, would be a reboot / beginning story itself, which would mean that it would also spoof itself spoofing all these... Oh, no, I've gone cross-eyed
    It could be a reboot but just look at your post @SharkBait, right there are the reasons why this wouldn't work. AP already spoofed itself by the third film anyway, so another would, wow, be an absolute mess. Imagine working out those plot points...

Anyone attempting to write such a thing would go cross eyed at the prospect of a spoof reboot spoof! ;-)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited August 2011 Posts: 4,415
    Enough things to spoof:

No gunbarrel.
    No Q
    No Moneypenny.

Movie starts of in toilet/Black & White

Blond Bond discussion when Daniel Craig be introduced.

Daniel Craig his ''Monkey'' behaviour and body in CR. (Or the other way around: Cowboys & Aliens) If there wil with a reference to DAD when Bond enter the hotel. Of course Johnny English 2 spoof a part of this hairy Bond already.

End the movie with: Powers Austin Powers. A small gun insteed of a big one or mabey the one from CR whasn't big enough.

We have people everywhere.

Camile don't end with Bond: The spy who NOT shagged me

Title sugestion. The Austin Powerless of Solace.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Austin Powerless of Solace.
    I said it before and I'll say it again: Balje, you are a genius! :)

• j7wildj7wild Suspended

they can use that YouTube video parody of QoS opening soundtrack!!
    ohhh the one I posted on the utube thread
    Enough things to spoof:

No gunbarrel.
    No Q
    No Moneypenny.

Movie starts of in toilet/Black & White

Blond Bond discussion when Daniel Craig be introduced.

Daniel Craig his ''Monkey'' behaviour and body in CR. (Or the other way around: Cowboys & Aliens) If there wil with a reference to DAD when Bond enter the hotel. Of course Johnny English 2 spoof a part of this hairy Bond already.

End the movie with: Powers Austin Powers. A small gun insteed of a big one or mabey the one from CR whasn't big enough.

We have people everywhere.

Camile don't end with Bond: The spy who NOT shagged me

Awesome, I love this! There is ofcourse, many things to parody about any Bond film, but this is genius!
    I must say, I`m a little suprised that some people here are unwilling to have the mickey taken out of our favourite franchise....? Lighten up guys, it`s just the movies!

• j7wildj7wild Suspended
    ohhh the one I posted on the utube thread
    yes, that one

that was funny

the Solace of Quantum... the Quantum of whatever

LOL!

IMO, one of the worst James Bond film title!!
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 2,593
    Looking forward to another Austin Powers flick. I just hope it isn't full of annoying cameos again. I don't like how all the former girls are returning. That Liz Hurley really gets around! It makes sense to have a fourth film. We need to see what becomes of Scott.

FOR YOUR THIGHS ONLY!

Myers should audition for some serious roles. I thought he was quite good in Studio 54. Didn't like the film though.

He should parody that movie Salt with Angelina Jolie.

Are there any news about this ? Did the filming start or ?
    edited May 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Just like in 2008, it went no where. I doubt if it will ever happen.
    I think Mike Myers' days as something else than a voice actor may be over. Going back to an old character that was overused to begin with in two unimaginative sequels and being unable to have the project lift the ground is not a good sign. And what more can we really do with Austin Powers? Or Dr. Evil?
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Plus Myers is supposedly one of the most difficult actors to work with. He hasn't done a whole lot other than voiceovers since Goldmember came out.
    Love Guru killed his live action career. Besides his cameo in Inglorious Basterds and voice work, Love Guru was like Myers' 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen'