'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

Think Capaldi is gonna have the essence of Tom Baker about his DR?!!! Those bulging eyes and frenetic chitter chatter! Look forward to the adventures that he will bring us!!! Think he will also be very funny and yet very very serious too! :-bd
    Poor Handles !

Great episode all around. Now, I can't wait for series 8.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Maybe it wanted to pack in slightly too much in but it was a great send off for Matt Smith. No idea what to make of the new Doctor yet.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    He sure didn't like the color of his kidney's. :))
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 12,837
    tumblr_mydxfh4VBK1rzoch0o2_250.gif
    Samuel001 wrote:
    No idea what to make of the new Doctor yet.

So far I like him more than I did Tennant did after Eccleston regenerated, and Smith after Tennant regenerated. Thought it was funny when he asked Clara if she knew how to fly the Tardis and I like how mental he seems.

Looking forward to seeing his costume.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,894
    I've only just discovered that The Moonbase is coming to DVD this month. 2014 is off to a good Troughton era start with the The Moonbase, followed by The Web Of Fear next month.
    Virage wrote:

Will not happen as PJ is still busy with The Hobbit this coming year, for series 9 he might be available.

SaintMark wrote:
    Virage wrote:

Will not happen as PJ is still busy with The Hobbit this coming year, for series 9 he might be available.
    Not from the way the BBC are acting.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    It's good PR for both parties so they'll keep flirting even if there is no chance of it happening.
    Shooting in NZ would put a big hole in the budget (just on travel alone) so it would have to be planned a season in advance with other episodes cutting costs.
  • So he does he flat out refuse to film anything outside of New Zealand? Could he not come down to Cardiff or anywhere else to film an episode?

If not then I don't think they should bother. It wouldn't be worth spending a massive amount of the budget just to travel to New Zealand for him.
    JamesPage wrote:
    It's good PR for both parties so they'll keep flirting even if there is no chance of it happening.
    Shooting in NZ would put a big hole in the budget (just on travel alone) so it would have to be planned a season in advance with other episodes cutting costs.
    You've never seen the NZ Government. They'll give tax breaks to anyone. Especially after an actors union none of the cast members are on, and not even based in NZ, go on strike over a certain prequel duo of films trilogy. There's also a lot of people with in the industry who don't have jobs at the moment, that means more tax breaks to give people work. It would probably just as expensive as the US shoot for Series 6. Plus Jacksons Fee is a Dalek, thats a bargain for a director with his calibre.
    DOCTOR WHO: First Official Image Of Peter Capaldi As 'The Doctor' Released
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=92546#pUJEpoPVpHs6DFBf.99
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I just read this on DWO, it's good to hear that filming is now underway.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I'm guessing it'll be like Matt Smith's first episode and he'll spend most of it running around in the last doctors outfit.

"The first episode of series 8 has been written by Steven Moffat with the second episode penned by Phil Ford"

So no two parters again then? I don't care but that seems to be an issue many people had with the last series.
    I'm guessing it'll be like Matt Smith's first episode and he'll spend most of it running around in the last doctors outfit.

"The first episode of series 8 has been written by Steven Moffat with the second episode penned by Phil Ford"

So no two parters again then? I don't care but that seems to be an issue many people had with the last series.

To be fair, the first episodes of each series until the sixth one had always been single ones. In the first series, we got three singles before having the first two-parter.
  • Oh yeah, good point. I suppose I just assumed that if Wheatley was directing two episodes then it'd be the same story.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited January 2014 Posts: 5,080
    I consider myself a Whovian and I thought that The Time of the Doctor was atrocious, and my other fellow Whovians agree. IMO,we've not had a decent Christmas special since The Voyage of the Damned. I am not a big Matt Smith fan at all, but I am pleased that Moffat has said things are going to have a change around for the Capaldi series, even though I think we should get a new writer. After the success of the 50th, The Time of the Doctor was a disappointment.
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Good to have things underway and with filming only lasting until August I wonder if they will film overseas after that.

Hopefully we'll get a look at the outfit soon.
    I consider myself a Whovian and I thought that The Time of the Doctor was atrocious, and my other fellow Whovians agree.

What was atrocious about it?
    Samuel001 wrote:

I think they probably won't announce it until they have to. So they'll wait until just before he starts filming in it, then they'll do a press release showing it off.
    Right. It was just lucky that Matt wore his from day one. Sometime in July 2009.
    I have to say that it has a Peter Cushing touch about his look! And that was the vibe I put down on this forum on the reveal night of Matt Smiths replacement! Sometimes I scare myself! ;))
    I consider myself a Whovian and I thought that The Time of the Doctor was atrocious, and my other fellow Whovians agree.

What was atrocious about it?
    Samuel001 wrote:

I think they probably won't announce it until they have to. So they'll wait until just before he starts filming in it, then they'll do a press release showing it off.

I was going to do a full review of this episode.

In brief; The regeneration (clumsy, so say the least), an aged Matt Smith (need I say more), plot holes galore(I.e. Total disregard for the truth field on Trenzalore, The Doctor was asked by the Time Lords his name, which he didn't answer even though the field prevents someone from answering falsely or not giving an answer), the inclusion of the weeping angels, again, the "explain later" Moffat approach, the revelation about the Silence, Moffat, Handles (as if his "death" was meant to provoke some kind of emotion), kidneys, the naked church (perhaps featured for laughs), a bland character in Barnabus and the wooden cyberman.

IMO, this is one of the worst episodes in the rebooted series.
    The Weeping Angels only had a short cameo and they've only been in 3 stories before. If you're going to complain about a villain being overused, complain about the Daleks.

"Aged Matt Smith". Yes, there was an aged Matt Smith. Now if you could point out what exactly was wrong with that then maybe we'd get somewhere.

The revelation about The Silence: he managed to tie that story up nicely. Everyone was constantly asking for answers so they got them. What was wrong with that?

I don't know who Barnabus was.

"Kidneys" you're grasping at straws here. How is that any worse than David Tennant popping up and doing a cheesey grin or Matt Smith complaining about not being ginger?

Handles- so because you personally didn't find his death sad, that's a criticism of the episode. Right. Makes no sense but ok.

Wooden cybermen- yes, there was a wooden cyberman. Again, you haven't actually said what was wrong with that.

"The naked church (perhaps featured for laughs)" That was literally the entire point of the naked church. God forbid they should try and add some comedy.

And finally "Moffat". See, that's the main problem and it's your problem rather than the hows. You were always going to hate it because you don't like Moffat. You went into the episode biased.

To say this is one of the worst episodes of the series is stupid when you look at some of the shite we've had before (farting aliens, the doctor turning into some sparkling God because people said his name, etc) is stupid imo.
    The Weeping Angels only had a short cameo and they've only been in 3 stories before. If you're going to complain about a villain being overused, complain about the Daleks.

As with everything on this list, it is a matter of opinion. I feel that the angels should have been left as a one hit wonder, in Blink. As for the daleks, they are part of British culture and Russel and Moffat have always done something different and unexpected (human dalek) with every episode in which they feature.

"Aged Matt Smith". Yes, there was an aged Matt Smith. Now if you could point out what exactly was wrong with that then maybe we'd get somewhere.

It looked stupid and incredibly cringeworthy. When Tennant did it in The Last of the Time Lords, it was believable and a very strong performance, as if he really was aged by a thousand years. The same cannot be said with Matt's.

The revelation about The Silence: he managed to tie that story up nicely. Everyone was constantly asking for answers so they got them. What was wrong with that?

It was disappointing revelation. I dislike the idea of them turning to the "good side" (reminiscent of Jaws). A great creation, gone to waste.

I don't know who Barnabus was.

Ah, forgive me, I was referring to Barnaby, but not a small difference? Anyhow, it shows much I care for the episode. Again, the casting of child actors, whose acting is wooden (I.e. Nightmare in Silver).

"Kidneys" you're grasping at straws here. How is that any worse than David Tennant popping up and doing a cheesey grin or Matt Smith complaining about not being ginger?

Maybe for Tennant and Smith, but not so much for Capaldi.

Handles- so because you personally didn't find his death sad, that's a criticism of the episode. Right. Makes no sense but ok.

It seemed that Handles was just thrown into the episode as an after thought. There was no explanation as to how he came across it, and no character development.

"The naked church (perhaps featured for laughs)" That was literally the entire point of the naked church. God forbid they should try and add some comedy.

The comedy in the Smith era is childish and OTT, as apparent in an intergalactic church whose member are naked.

And finally "Moffat". See, that's the main problem and it's your problem rather than the hows. You were always going to hate it because you don't like Moffat. You went into the episode biased.

I was completely the opposite. After the success of both The Name and the Day of the Doctor, I was enthusiastic and hopeful that this episode too would be a cracker. Instead, it was rushed, riddled with plot holes and, yes, poorly written.

To say this is one of the worst episodes of the series is stupid when you look at some of the shite we've had before (farting aliens, the doctor turning into some sparkling God because people said his name, etc) is stupid imo.

Exactly, "one of".
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I once ventured on to A Dr Who discussion forum and after about 20 minutes I had to get out. The bile, the venom, the spite, it was palpable and slightly scary.
    How people could dissect a TV programme and attack it so ruthlessly when it's supposed to be something they enjoy!

I didn't get it.

We get a little of it here with Bond, but Dr Who fandom is quite bonkers. Reading some of you guys who care so passionately...I'm nearly as impressed as I am disturbed. ;-)

Anyway, I have always loved the show and have watched it from back in the 70s. However I have never been precious about it, never condemned NewWho as losing sight of what the 'classic' series was about (DT is my favourite Doctor despite having watched the likes of Tom Baker). I actually prefer NewWho, loved the comedy element we saw come in with DT. And I'm excited about PC, regardless of what he wears.

I couldn't care less if things aren't explained properly as long as the show excites, amuses and entertains me. But that's just me. :-)

A relative of mine went to great trouble at Christmas telling me what was wrong with the 50th anniversary special, and where it made no sense at all. Then he criticised Matt Smith for being almost identical to David Tennant. At that point I realised he was someone who could pull the fine detail of the plot apart with a scalpel, but couldn't somehow distinguish between Tennant's flirty, cocky, self confident Doctor and Smith's socially awkward, bumbly, asexual Doctor. Weird.
    FEATURE: DOCTOR WHO Infographic Features The First And Last Lines Of Every Doctor
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/starksnewsandreviews/news/?a=92606#Mm17Fkj38psgmJ6p.99
    NicNac wrote:
    I couldn't care less if things aren't explained properly as long as the show excites, amuses and entertains me. But that's just me. :-)

Same here.
    It looked stupid and incredibly cringeworthy. When Tennant did it in The Last of the Time Lords, it was believable and a very strong performance, as if he really was aged by a thousand years. The same cannot be said with Matt's.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140101232142/tardis/images/4/49/TheDoctorReallyOld.JPG&imgrefurl=http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Last_of_the_Time_Lords_TV_story_images&docid=EV8nORkVFgk4eM&tbnid=wiIie0EiNLmUwM:&w=400&h=262&ei=dXHNUuXpEarI0wXyrIBI&ved=0CAIQxiAwAA&iact=c

How believable.
    It seemed that Handles was just thrown into the episode as an after thought. There was no explanation as to how he came across it, and no character development.

Not everything needs character development. Did the robot dog in the old ones get character development? Handles was in the episode to spout some exposition and have a touching death scene. And I'm pretty sure they mentioned that he got it from an alien shop or something but why does it matter? Who really cares?
    As with everything on this list, it is a matter of opinion. I feel that the angels should have been left as a one hit wonder, in Blink. As for the daleks, they are part of British culture and Russel and Moffat have always done something different and unexpected (human dalek) with every episode in which they feature.

And how do you think the daleks became so iconic? They were bought back after they were popular. Same with the Angels. Blink got so much praise and they were such a brilliant invention, it would've been a bad idea to not bring them back.

And they have added stuff to them. In the Matt Smith two parter, they were snapping peoples necks and taking over bodies if you looked them in the eye. In the one where Amy and Rory left, they'd invented the farm and the statue of liberty was an angel.
    The comedy in the Smith era is childish and OTT

The comedy in the show has always been childish and OTT, right from Ecclestons first episode. Unless you think a burping wheelie bin isn't childish?

And why is this? Because at the end of the day it is a kids show. It's not meant to be adult, it's meant to be something the whole family can watch. So yeah there's going to be childish stuff.
    Instead, it was rushed, riddled with plot holes and, yes, poorly written.

You're confusing something being poorly written with you not liking it.

Same here.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140101232142/tardis/images/4/49/TheDoctorReallyOld.JPG&imgrefurl=http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Last_of_the_Time_Lords_TV_story_images&docid=EV8nORkVFgk4eM&tbnid=wiIie0EiNLmUwM:&w=400&h=262&ei=dXHNUuXpEarI0wXyrIBI&ved=0CAIQxiAwAA&iact=c

How believable.
    http://www.radiotimes.com/namedimage/Matt_Smith_grows_old_before_his_time_in_Doctor_Who_Christmas_special_2013.jpg?quality=85&mode=crop&width=620&height=374&404=tv&url=/uploads/images/original/44001.jpg

Not everything needs character development. Did the robot dog in the old ones get character development? Handles was in the episode to spout some exposition and have a touching death scene. And I'm pretty sure they mentioned that he got it from an alien shop or something but why does it matter? Who really cares?

Handles was as good a character as Wilson from Castaway...

And how do you think the daleks became so iconic? They were bought back after they were popular. Same with the Angels. Blink got so much praise and they were such a brilliant invention, it would've been a bad idea to not bring them back.

And they have added stuff to them. In the Matt Smith two parter, they were snapping peoples necks and taking over bodies if you looked them in the eye. In the one where Amy and Rory left, they'd invented the farm and the statue of liberty was an angel.

The magic of the weeping angels disappeared when they starting snapping peoples necks...
    The comedy in the Smith era is childish and OTT

The comedy in the show has always been childish and OTT, right from Ecclestons first episode. Unless you think a burping wheelie bin isn't childish?

And why is this? Because at the end of the day it is a kids show. It's not meant to be adult, it's meant to be something the whole family can watch. So yeah there's going to be childish stuff.
    Instead, it was rushed, riddled with plot holes and, yes, poorly written.

You're confusing something being poorly written with you not liking it.
    I was asked why I thought The Time of the Doctor was atrocious, and I have explained why. And I have been immediately jumped on by voicing my opinion, so as Nic Nac has said, I'll back out.