Fun with Bond Titles

edited December 2013 in Trivia & Games Posts: 5,772
In the fifty-one years that movie Bond has been active, there have been lots of references in various places about the titles of his movies. The aim of this thread is to list the most titles that "tributed" James Bond over the years, in various countries. And I will begin by mine, France.

Believe it or not, the main culprit was the the second publisher of Bond novels, Plon. As you know, FRWL was translated in France as "Bons Baisers de Russie" in its second printing. So, Plon decided to use the same formula for two other books. So, FYEO was translated as "Bons Baisers de Paris" (the first story taking place you know where", and TLD (the short story) as "Bons Baisers de Berlin". BTW, the title of the short story collection in which TLD appears is "Meilleurs Voeux de la Jamaïque", which is close enough.

After that, other people jumped on the "Bons Baisers..." badwagon, and we saw "Bons Baisers de Partout" (Frome Everywhere with Love), a radio serial featuring the comical adventures of a group of secret agents, with lots of puns (given that the writer, and main actor, was Pierre Dac, it was expected), "Bons Baiser, à Lundi" (Till Monday, with Love), a gangster movie by Michel Audiard, and the infamous "Bons Baisers de Hong Kong", starring les Chrlots, Bernard Lee, Lois Maxwell, Clifton James, Mickey Rooney, and Her Majesty herself (she never knew) and her double, Huguette Funfrock. During my time in Germany, I discovered that FRWL was translated as "Liebesgrüsse aus Moskau", and that Bruce Lee's second movie, "Fist of Fury/The Chinese Connection" had received the german title "Todesgrüsse aus Shanghai".

A french/belgian parody of James Bond, Steve Pops, a british secret agent whose beard had a very rapid growth, and who had a very sweet tooth, appeared in the 60s in two graphic novels, "Steve Pops contre Dr. Yes", and "Opération Éclair". The second is notable for being a pun. "Éclair" is the french name for flash, but also the name of a pastry, which, given Steve's fondness for cakes of all descriptions, fits him perfectly.

SteevePops1_04042004.jpg

20080305162134_t2.jpg

In France, the title for "You Don't Mess with the Zohan" is "Rien que pour vos Cheveux" (For you Hair only)

Of course, we have Austin Powers to thank for "The Spy who Shagged Me" and "Goldmember". Or maybe not.

Other variation of TSWLM, "The Spy who Laughed at Danger", the "movie in a movie" filmed in the Burt Reynolds vehicle "Hooper".

And the Israeli recreation of the famous raid on Entebbe, Entebbe : Operation Thunderbolt, but I don't think it really counts, as it was the real name of the operation. Still, a french cinema magazine thought it was the James Bond movie when it aired on french television, and advertised it as such (I was disappointed it turned out not to be the case, as it could have been the first time an official Bond movie aired on french TV)

Any others ? Note : Special Agent Oso doesn't count, so no digimedal for you if you mention it.

Comments

• edited December 2013 Posts: 401
    http://www.universalexports.net/00Titles.shtml

Here's a massive list of international titles for Bond films, I don't know if some of them are actually real, but if they are, they're hilarious. "007 Against the Satanic Dr. No" and "Die, But Not Today" are my personal favorites.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Some of the international titles are really, really cool, and then you have some like 'The Satanic Dr. No,' which make me wonder.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 1,817
    I've always liked the Italian DAF Una cascata di diamanti (a diamonds cascade) and Latin American TLD Su nombre es peligro (his name is danger).
    Also take notice that in Italy CR is called Casinò Royale with the accent, otherwise it means "royal brothel".
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 51
    A lot of the Bond titles in Chinese end with 危机 (wēi jī, crisis) or 杀机 (shā jī, intent to kill). But then again, a lot of action movie titles in Chinese seem to have that, as well as something with 王 (wáng, king) or 城 (chéng, city) or 帝国 (dì guó, empire)....

《雷霆杀机》A View to A Kill ("Thunderous Intent to Kill")
    《黎明杀机》The Living Daylights ("Daybreak Intent to Kill")
    《黑日危机》The World is Not Enough ("Black Day Crisis")
    《量子危机》Quantum of Solace ("Quantum Crisis")
    《空降危机》Skyfall ("Sky Fall Crisis")

Many of the [url="http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/詹姆斯·邦德系列电影"]translations for the earlier films[/url] are pretty good, though.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 5,772
    Not exactly what I was going after. I'm more interested in non-Bond works with Bond-inspired titles. But nice try !
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    From Paris with Love (2010 film)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I don't know, but I kind of like 'James Bond versus Dr. No' as an alternative (foreign) title. It kind of sums up the fact that he is the epitome of evil as the template James Bond villain. It's so good in fact, that I named an article after it!
    "Diamonds Aren't Forever", an episode of "The New Alfred Hitchcock Presents", featuring... George Lazenby.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    FRWL and DAF are probably the two titles that have been rewritten into most commercials here, as FROM WHEREVER WITH LOVE and WHATEVER IS FOREVER. Not sure that Fleming did not emulate some other well known expressions from the day himself, but no doubt it is the said Bond films that have been the inspiration for those countless advertising slogans. Surely it is not just here in Norway, but all over?
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 5,772
    Two episodes of Son of the Beach had Bond inspire titles :

From Russia, With Johnson

http://www.tv.com/shows/son-of-the-beach/from-russia-with-johnson-38444/

And : You Only Come Once (whose villain was called Stinkfinger, to boot)

http://www.tv.com/shows/son-of-the-beach/you-only-come-once-177177/
  • @linglingqi "did you know that in Chinese the words for crisis and opportunity are the same word?" "So?" "I actually have no idea...that's just what they used to tell us in the mental hospital"

(Archer quote)
    Gerard wrote:
    Two episodes of Son of the Beach had Bond inspire titles :

From Russia, With Johnson

http://www.tv.com/shows/son-of-the-beach/from-russia-with-johnson-38444/

And : You Only Come Once (whose villain was called Stinkfinger, to boot)

http://www.tv.com/shows/son-of-the-beach/you-only-come-once-177177/

That was an excellent show, almost forgot about that. How could I forget the beautiful Porcelain Bidet?
    And there is of course THE MAN WITH THE NAKED GUN.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    0013 wrote:
    I've always liked the Italian DAF Una cascata di diamanti (a diamonds cascade) and Latin American TLD Su nombre es peligro (his name is danger).
    Also take notice that in Italy CR is called Casinò Royale with the accent, otherwise it means "royal brothel".

In Italy we also have "Moving Target" for "A View to a Kill" and "Danger Zone" for The Living Daylights.

And "Licence to Kill" is the italian title for "Dr. No", while "Licence to Kill" is "Private Revenge" instead.
  • @linglingqi "did you know that in Chinese the words for crisis and opportunity are the same word?" "So?" "I actually have no idea...that's just what they used to tell us in the mental hospital"

(Archer quote)

Haha sorry, I just saw this! Technically, [part of] the word for "opportunity" is in the word for "crisis" ;)
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    Going back to foreign titles a minute, my personal fave is the Denmark title for FRWL '007 Is Being Chased'
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    In Italian, Thunderball, Moonraker and Octopussy have the following subtitles:

Operazione Tuono (Thunder operation); Operazione Spazio (Space Operation) and Operazione Piovra (Octopus Operation)
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 5,772
    From the action adventure (and sex) series "The Baroness", this little gem :

baroness2.jpg

And from the similar series "The Lady from L.U.S.T." by Rod Gray (Gardner Fox) :

22847082-4744151539_63263a286c_o1.jpg
    Well, the new 24 mini-series has a name. It's "Live Another Day" :

24_LAD_Poster.jpg
    Gerard wrote:
    Well, the new 24 mini-series has a name. It's "Live Another Day" :

24_LAD_Poster.jpg

It's had that name since last year.
    Pffft... Die, Live Another Day. This series has become a spoof, like Bond in the seventies, sans the charm.
    They realize the implications that has, right? Same genre of show, following one secret agent type man, set in London, with a title one word off of a Bond movie?

There's no way that's an accident. They do realize DAD was a disaster, right? It caused the entire Bond world to start over.. but then again.. maybe that's what they want.

Make this one terrible so they can bring it back to TV as a *new* thing.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 5,772
    In France, the movie "Escape to Athena" was known as :

bons-baisers-d-athenes.jpg

Which means "From Athens with Love"
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Cool, two Bonds, a Bond villain and Sonny Bono. This must be great.
    Kerim wrote:
    Cool, two Bonds, a Bond villain and Sonny Bono. This must be great.

You forgot Shaft !

Another (short lived) series : B.L.I.S.S.

bliss1.jpg

bliss2.jpg

bliss3.jpg

The fact that one of the agents has 36DD as a codename should tell you all you need to know about the series.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 13,879
    Interesting stuff there, @Gerard. I can see the illustrations are also highly inspired by the Bond posters. We have Plenty O'Toole playing craps, the woman's pose in TLD mirrors that of <a href="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51kgkmmgMyL._SY445_.jpg">Dalton's</a>, and Dr. Yes is very similar to this one of <a href="http://img3.findthebest.com/sites/default/files/704/media/images/Dr._No_57275.jpg">DN</a>, right down to the near-nude character.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 5,772
    And here's another one, courtesy of webcomic "The Non-Adventures of Wonderella" :

http://nonadventures.com/2010/05/08/die-a-mothers-day/

Feel free to groan.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 5,772
    Frankly, I'm unforgivable for having forgotten these two gems :

0028e6d3_medium.jpeg

Unforgivable, because both mini-series are in my collection.
    Died Again Today!
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 5,772
    The first episode of the second season of "The Suite Life on Deck" was named : "The Spy who Shoved Me". Now that's a double entendre for you, but Disney's series are known for "getting crap past the radar", as TVTropes would say.