James Bond Podcast Discussion Thread

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Any suggestions for immediate episodes?
    Just make sure the gun barrel's at the start.

Whoops, wrong discussion. ;)
  • Maybe discuss the evolution of the bond actors and how they changed over their tenures.
  • QBranch wrote:
    Any suggestions for immediate episodes?
    Just make sure the gun barrel's at the start.

Whoops, wrong discussion. ;)

Haha, and minimal CGI!
    Maybe discuss the evolution of the bond actors and how they changed over their tenures.

Great one, that's on the list!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    OK, I've thought of another one. As a Never Send Flowers fanatic, I'd like to hear your radio panel's views on this 1993 John Gardner Bond continuation novel and especially on James Bond having previously admitted being to Disneyland in Orlando and the ending of the novel being set at Euro Disney and whether this was consisatent with the Bond of the Fleming novels.
  • Dragonpol wrote:
    OK, I've thought of another one. As a Never Send Flowers fanatic, I'd like to hear your radio panel's views on this 1993 John Gardner Bond continuation novel and especially on James Bond having previously admitted being to Disneyland in Orlando and the ending of the novel being set at Euro Disney and whether this was consisatent with the Bond of the Fleming novels.

Good one! A great excuse to re-read some Gardner.
  • Hi Jake, love the podcast! As an idea, perhaps we could discuss ways we as fans could have improved the films- for example, I had never heard of Dame Shirley's "No Good About Goodbye" until your podcast, and what an improvement that would have made over "Another Way to Die!" Recasting Paris Carver, erasing any existence of Christmas Jones and JW Pepper and keeping TND's original title of "Tomorrow Never Lies" - which makes a lot more sense- as other examples. With 23 films it would keep you and David busy for years!
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 97
    Hi Jake, love the podcast! As an idea, perhaps we could discuss ways we as fans could have improved the films- for example, I had never heard of Dame Shirley's "No Good About Goodbye" until your podcast, and what an improvement that would have made over "Another Way to Die!" Recasting Paris Carver, erasing any existence of Christmas Jones and JW Pepper and keeping TND's original title of "Tomorrow Never Lies" - which makes a lot more sense- as other examples. With 23 films it would keep you and David busy for years!

Hi There,

Thanks for your suggestions but you've got me confused with another Bond podcast ;-)

James Bond Radio is a new podcast launching towards the end of this month. I think you're probably referring to the Q-Branch podcast? I've been tuning into that one too. They're doing great work! The way I see it, there's room for a ton of Bond related podcasts, the more, the merrier I say.

Feel free to head over to...

http://jamesbondradio.com

...and register, and I'll let you know when we launch each episode.

All the best!

Tom
    James Bond Radio
  • Apologies to you and Q-Branch- but as you say the more the merrier! Looking forward to JBR :)
  • It would be good to have a feature which picks out the parts of the later films which draw inspiration from Fleming's books - especially when things started to get thin on the ground as far as adapting existing text went. Thinking things like the parts of Licence to Kill taken from the Live and Let Die novel or Die Another Day from Moonraker. I'm not sure if there are enough instances to warrant a huge discussion but it's something I'd be interested in hearing more about.

Also you could mention the ridiculousness of Felix getting his false leg bitten off in the novelisation of Licence to Kill and them leaving the same note as in the book Live and Let Die (He disagreed with something that ate him). And also there being no mention of Krest already having been killed in the novel world continuity. Maybe the problems with novelisations trying to fit into book continuity is another topic altogether though!
  • It would be good to have a feature which picks out the parts of the later films which draw inspiration from Fleming's books - especially when things started to get thin on the ground as far as adapting existing text went. Thinking things like the parts of Licence to Kill taken from the Live and Let Die novel or Die Another Day from Moonraker. I'm not sure if there are enough instances to warrant a huge discussion but it's something I'd be interested in hearing more about.

Also you could mention the ridiculousness of Felix getting his false leg bitten off in the novelisation of Licence to Kill and them leaving the same note as in the book Live and Let Die (He disagreed with something that ate him). And also there being no mention of Krest already having been killed in the novel world continuity. Maybe the problems with novelisations trying to fit into book continuity is another topic altogether though!

Some very good points there Daltonisbond! They're going on the list :-)

We actually recorded the first episode today. We had a great time and can't wait to release it at the end of the month. Be sure to keep the ideas flowing guys. We realised today that there is literally an endless amount of subject material to talk about when it comes to Bond, and we want you guys to be involved.

If you have something interesting to talk about and want to be a guest on the show, drop us a line and we'll get you booked in.

• edited January 2014 Posts: 4,622
    What I would want would be a radio Bond-news segment to start things off, with soundbites etc. Just like a good radio newscast. Then into discussion segments, much like talk radio.
    And much like the way its done here. I always read the new Mi6 homepage articles before I start reading discussion threads.
    Also lots of Bond bumper music, in and out of the segments. Rights shouldn't be an issue unless the program makes money in which case you would have the money to pay for the rights anyway.
  • timmer wrote:
    What I would want would be a radio Bond-news segment to start things off, with soundbites etc. Just like a good radio newscast. Then into discussion segments, much like talk radio.
    And much like the way its done here. I always read the new Mi6 homepage articles before I start reading discussion threads.
    Also lots of Bond bumper music, in and out of the segments. Rights shouldn't be an issue unless the program makes money in which case you would have the money to pay for the rights anyway.

Awesome idea. A news section would be good at the start of each episode!
    edited January 2014 Posts: 17,727
    I take it that all of the podcast broadcasts be archived? Sorry, I'm new to the whole podcast thingy.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 97
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I takwe it that all of the podcast broadcasts be archived? Sorry, I'm new to the whole podcast thingy.

Yep, absolutely, we'll have links to all episodes on the website and archived on itunes too.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I takwe it that all of the podcast broadcasts be archived? Sorry, I'm new to the whole podcast thingy.

Yep, absolutely, we'll have links to all episodes on the website and archived on itunes too.

Oh, great! That's really good to know.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 1
    I've listened to a lot of podcasts on James Bond and the thing I want more then anything is in depth discussions on the continuation novels and the comics. Everyone rushes to do the movies and the Fleming books but John Gardner and Raymond Bensons' tenures are almost never discussed. I'd particularly love a discussion on The Union trilogy and how it stands as Bensons' attempt to do a SPECTER trilogy.

The comics are never mentioned and given that most of them (at least the strips) are readily available some talk about them would be great too. Maybe even talk about how there's been so few Bond comics and how perfect he is for the medium. But outside of Permission to Die American comics have barely ever touched him. I mean this is a James Bond podcast. I'd hate to see you put yourself in a corner of just the Fleming Books and movies like every podcast that wants to talk about James Bond does. I'd love for you to really get into the other Bond Stuff that no one ever talks about.
  • I've listened to a lot of podcasts on James Bond and the thing I want more then anything is in depth discussions on the continuation novels and the comics. Everyone rushes to do the movies and the Fleming books but John Gardner and Raymond Bensons' tenures are almost never discussed. I'd particularly love a discussion on The Union trilogy and how it stands as Bensons' attempt to do a SPECTER trilogy.

The comics are never mentioned and given that most of them (at least the strips) are readily available some talk about them would be great too. Maybe even talk about how there's been so few Bond comics and how perfect he is for the medium. But outside of Permission to Die American comics have barely ever touched him. I mean this is a James Bond podcast. I'd hate to see you put yourself in a corner of just the Fleming Books and movies like every podcast that wants to talk about James Bond does. I'd love for you to really get into the other Bond Stuff that no one ever talks about.

That's a cool idea, Eric. I think from my perspective those things are really niche to the superfans. I have to admit, there are two or three Benson's I never got around to reading...and I've never read any of the comics...so I guess this would be a perfect way to explore that stuff for the first time.

We had such a great time on the first episode, we're going to record every 2 weeks. So, there'll be plenty of room for this stuff. We'll certainly be kicking things off with the bigger broader subjects, like the movies/actors etc, but this is definitely going on the list :-)

Great idea!
    I've listened to a lot of podcasts on James Bond and the thing I want more then anything is in depth discussions on the continuation novels and the comics. Everyone rushes to do the movies and the Fleming books but John Gardner and Raymond Bensons' tenures are almost never discussed. I'd particularly love a discussion on The Union trilogy and how it stands as Bensons' attempt to do a SPECTER trilogy.

I can only agree, as The Bondologist Blogger should.
  • JakeDelToroJakeDelToro Universal Exports
    edited February 2014 Posts: 28
    Hi Jake, love the podcast! As an idea, perhaps we could discuss ways we as fans could have improved the films- for example, I had never heard of Dame Shirley's "No Good About Goodbye" until your podcast, and what an improvement that would have made over "Another Way to Die!" Recasting Paris Carver, erasing any existence of Christmas Jones and JW Pepper and keeping TND's original title of "Tomorrow Never Lies" - which makes a lot more sense- as other examples. With 23 films it would keep you and David busy for years!

Hi There,

Thanks for your suggestions but you've got me confused with another Bond podcast ;-)

James Bond Radio is a new podcast launching towards the end of this month. I think you're probably referring to the Q-Branch podcast? I've been tuning into that one too. They're doing great work! The way I see it, there's room for a ton of Bond related podcasts, the more, the merrier I say.

Feel free to head over to...

http://jamesbondradio.com

...and register, and I'll let you know when we launch each episode.

All the best!

Tom
    James Bond Radio

Hi chaps.

It appears you have got your podcasts crossed, RegentsPark. David Leigh and myself at Q Branch are indeed a separate entity to James Bond Radio. No worries though.

I'm glad you're both enjoying Q-Branch and I'm glad I stumbled across this post as now I have another Bond podcast to listen to. As JamesBondRadio say's there's more than enough room for numerous Bond podcasts and I'm looking forward to checking out James Bond Radio.
  • Hi chaps.

It appears you have got your podcasts crossed, RegentsPark. David Leigh and myself at Q Branch are indeed a separate entity to James Bond Radio. No worries though.

I'm glad you're both enjoying Q-Branch and I'm glad I stumbled across this post as now I have another Bond podcast to listen to. As JamesBondRadio say's there's more than enough room for numerous Bond podcasts and I'm looking forward to checking out James Bond Radio.

When do we get to hear episode 3 of Q-Branch, Jake? I still haven't got around to reading Solo, so I've had to skip #2 for the moment.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 97
    So, here it is guys. Episode #1 of James Bond Radio, just uploaded. We're stuck in limbo waiting for the approval process for the podcast to be listed on itunes, so for now, we're launching on youtube.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0QViffuPIHs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0QViffuPIHs"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Please be aware, we do get very passionate at times, which can occasionally result in mild profanity (especially when the subject of Die Another Day comes up), so cover your ears if easily offended :-)
  • Dragonpol2Dragonpol2 The Crazy World of Daniel Dragonpol
    Great news! I'll certainly give it a listen.
  • Can you make this available on Windows Phone? Very interested to listen to it
    TheBondFan wrote:
    Can you make this available on Windows Phone? Very interested to listen to it

Sure, you can download the podcast at:

Http://jamesbondradio.com

Is there an equivalent of iTunes for windows phones? We're still learning about all the various platforms at the moment, so if there's somewhere we should be listed let is know :-)
    Hey guys,

Just letting you know we're now available on itunes here...

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/james-bond-radio/id816222534?mt=2

Or there's a direct download link to episode 1 here...

http://jamesbondradio.com/podcast-1-for-the-love-of-bond/

• edited February 2014 Posts: 317
    Great episode, I nearly turned it off in disgust when one of the casters jokingly said that Daniel Craig was a horrible bond. Then he's like "just kidding". lol
  • JakeDelToroJakeDelToro Universal Exports

When do we get to hear episode 3 of Q-Branch, Jake? I still haven't got around to reading Solo, so I've had to skip #2 for the moment.

Episode 4 will be out on Friday.

Great to see you've got your first episode out. Looking forward to listening to it!

• Excellent! Listening now!
  • Coldfinger wrote:
    Great episode, I nearly turned it off in disgust when one of the casters jokingly said that Daniel Craig was a horrible bond. Then he's like "just kidding". lol

Haha, I'll have to warn Chris to be careful of his faux Daniel bashing :-)

Episode 4 will be out on Friday.

Great to see you've got your first episode out. Looking forward to listening to it!

Oh yes, I meant episode 4, sorry. I've already listened to 1 & 3. :-)
    Excellent! Listening now!

Cool, let me know what you think!

---

It'd be great if you guys could leave us some reviews on the itunes page. That really helps us to rank higher in the itunes podcast list. Here's the link...

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/james-bond-radio/id816222534?mt=2
  • I thought it was great! I'll post a review now!