Would you like a Moneypenny Diaries BBC Miniseries?

edited December 2013 in Actors Posts: 170
I think it would be a nice tie-in to the film series, with Naomie Harris as Moneypenny. Your thoughts?
«1

Comments

  • I never read those books. Are they any good?
  • No I haven't, but from what I've heard, their not bad
  • Posts: 7,653
    Yes, they could be potentially brilliant.
  • Posts: 267
    Having read the books and much touted this very idea, I can only agree.
    That said, unfortunately the delightful Ms.Harris wouldn't be right for the role as the Diaries are a complete retrospective of Moneypenny's career that terminate with her post retirement death off the coast of Scotland.
    Helen Mirren would be perfect for the role with a younger look alike taking the young Money penny role.
    The books are terrific!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 18,006
    Bentley wrote:
    Having read the books and much touted this very idea, I can only agree.
    That said, unfortunately the delightful Ms.Harris wouldn't be right for the role as the Diaries are a complete retrospective of Moneypenny's career that terminate with her post retirement death off the coast of Scotland.
    Helen Mirren would be perfect for the role with a younger look alike taking the young Money penny role.
    The books are terrific!

    That sounds rather a splendid idea to me. Wasn't Moneypenny's career linked in with areas of the Cold War, too?
  • Bentley wrote:
    the Diaries are a complete retrospective of Moneypenny's career that terminate with her post retirement death off the coast of Scotland.
    The books are terrific!

    Aaaaand thank you for spoiling the end :-(

  • What does Moneypenny do in the book series? I suppose she could provide an interesting fly-on-the-wall perspective of things in the upper level of British intelligence, being M's personal secretary, but it would rather clearly be M's story, only told through the lens of Moneypenny.
  • Posts: 7,653
    What does Moneypenny do in the book series? I suppose she could provide an interesting fly-on-the-wall perspective of things in the upper level of British intelligence, being M's personal secretary, but it would rather clearly be M's story, only told through the lens of Moneypenny.

    Get them and read them, they are well worth your time if you enjoyed the Fleming novels. Samantha Weinberg and Higson are the few writers that really nailed the tone and era of the original 007.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Posts: 7,854
    This could hold merit, but could it really last very long? Maybe a few episodes every film, but I doubt they could go any further than that.
  • Posts: 7,653
    There are three books and all a certain British agent does have his part to play.
  • This would actually be a very good drama if in the right hands. Maybe the BBC or HBO? Both coming together possibly.

    It would have to be set in the Cold War and I don't think that Bond should appear. It should focus solely on Moneypenny and her role as the head of Mi6's assistant. There are a lot of dramatic opportunities that could be mined. It would need a great writer to put together a miniseries. And that's what it should be, there shouldn't be talk of any kind of sequel it should be it's own thing that exists outside the EON Bond continuity and series.

    Who could play Moneypenny?

    Keeley Hawes?
    article-1302875398723-0b86ca3900000578-341333_223x335.jpg

    Michelle Dockery?
    081712-michelle-dockery-makeup-340.jpg

    Ruth Wilson?
    Ruth+Wilson+Olivier+Awards+2012+g5SHsicsQZgl.jpg

    Jessica Raine?
    1348127342_jessica-raine-post.jpg

  • This would actually be a very good drama if in the right hands. Maybe the BBC or HBO? Both coming together possibly.

    It would have to be set in the Cold War and I don't think that Bond should appear. It should focus solely on Moneypenny and her role as the head of Mi6's assistant. There are a lot of dramatic opportunities that could be mined. It would need a great writer to put together a miniseries. And that's what it should be, there shouldn't be talk of any kind of sequel it should be it's own thing that exists outside the EON Bond continuity and series.

    Who could play Moneypenny?

    Keeley Hawes?
    article-1302875398723-0b86ca3900000578-341333_223x335.jpg

    Michelle Dockery?
    081712-michelle-dockery-makeup-340.jpg

    Ruth Wilson?
    Ruth+Wilson+Olivier+Awards+2012+g5SHsicsQZgl.jpg

    Jessica Raine?
    1348127342_jessica-raine-post.jpg
    Great suggestions @Pierce2Daniel, Keeley Hawes and Jessica are my top ones.

  • Posts: 5,904
    Jessica Raine, no doubt. I loved her in Doctor Who and An Adventure in Space and Time. She would be perfect for an adaptation of the Novels.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I love Keeley Hawes - she would be my top choice. :)

    Yeah, I haven't read the books and now have the ended spoiled for me, too.
    I'm trying not to have a nagging downer feeling about knowing that ending in general. I will read them and I feel sure enjoy them. But please remember to use the spoiler tags. Thanks.
  • Posts: 267
    By the looks of these posts the majority of these punters haven't read these great novels.
    For their benefit, the production would actually require would 3 female leads:
    1) The older Moneypenny pre/post retirement. Minimum age sixty.
    2) The younger Moneypenny (capable of passing for 30 thru' 50)
    3) Somebody to play Moneypenny's niece, Kate Westrbrook.
    With modern prosthetics, it's possible that 1 & 2 could be played by the same actress albeit given the importance and gravitas of the older Moneypenny, I would vote for Helen Mirren in that role and find a lookalike to play her in her younger days.
  • Posts: 267
    Bentley wrote:
    the Diaries are a complete retrospective of Moneypenny's career that terminate with her post retirement death off the coast of Scotland.
    The books are terrific!

    Aaaaand thank you for spoiling the end :-(
    Sorry old chap but given that the last of the trilogy was published in 2008 and this is a discussion about adapting them for the screen I rather thought we'd all read them!

  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Posts: 1,400
    No I haven't, but from what I've heard, their not bad

    really good. highly recommend.
  • Posts: 1,817
    Sounds good to me, as long as there is a quality production and a fine actress for Moneypenny. Also would be nice to have Ralph Fiennes as M but not showing Bond even if they speak a lot of him (but maybe have an unexpected cameo by Craig.)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I've heard of them but of course not ALL of us have read them, no. Spoiler tags for major spoilers are appreciated. Late for this thread, but still, just keep it in mind please. Thanks.

    Does anybody know if BBC or anybody else has considered doing this? I do think it's a great idea.
  • Posts: 12,511
    Unable to say as I have not read the diaries? From my own point of view I think I would prefer all Bond related material to remain on the silver screen only.
  • Posts: 267
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Unable to say as I have not read the diaries? From my own point of view I think I would prefer all Bond related material to remain on the silver screen only.
    Bit late for that old chap, the first screen Bond was CBS's 1954 TV version of Casino Royale with one Barry Nelson as Jimmy Bond!
    Nothing wrong with TV if it's done well. The BBC did a fabulous version of Alan Furst's "The Spies Of Warsaw". The quality was amazing and "The Moneypenny Diaries" would be a perfect vehicle for such a treatment.
    Those of you that haven't read them are missing a huge treat.

  • Bradford4Bradford4 Banned
    Posts: 152
    Theres potential for a TV show but not with any of those mingers pictured above. we need a fresh
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Posts: 3,144
    Bradford4 wrote:
    Theres potential for a TV show but not with any of those mingers pictured above. we need a fresh

    I hope you get an eye test for Christmas @Bradford4
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 23,836
    Initiatives like these serve only one purpose, to dilute a franchise.

    People seem so focused on putting out more product, they forget that in the end the smart thing is to simply make a bloody good film every once in a while.

    We have 14 great Fleming novels, 23 (or 25) films among which true jewels can be found. And we have the soundtracks and tons of books on the subject of James Bond and the James Bond films. Isn't that enough?

    Seriously, a series from the perspective of Moneypenny? Another member recently suggested a series from the perspective of Q. What's next? The Adventures of 008? The Young Ernst Stavro Blofeld Chronicles? The Quantum Files: Prequel To Casino Royale? Comedy Hour With Boris Grishenko? The Jinx And Zao Show? Cooking With Stacey? The Annual Victor Tournjanski "Man-With-Bottle" Awards? Oddjob Goes To Camp? Herr Stamper's House Of Pain (adult entertainment)? May Day: The Animated Series?

    Please, just give me one good film every two or three years. EON isn't Marvel.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Posts: 3,144
    Dimi I could not agree more well said.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Posts: 7,314
    I think the bottom line is that Moneypenny is just not an interesting enough character to carry a story much less an entire series. We got to see more of her than we ever have before in SF and the results were disappointing. Just keep her as the minor character that she was intended to be.
  • Uhmmm. you mean more "close shaves"

    Seriously No. What material will EON get the concept and character development from?

    And a tv series can't afford the expense of a "Bond production."
  • Posts: 7,653
    pachazo wrote:
    I think the bottom line is that Moneypenny is just not an interesting enough character to carry a story much less an entire series. We got to see more of her than we ever have before in SF and the results were disappointing. Just keep her as the minor character that she was intended to be.

    At least read the books and recognise that they were done brilliantly and easily put all the recent 007 novels in the shadow.

    The Moneypenny diaries shows a far better Moneypenny than that Mendes generated person.

    I would love seeing the moneypenny diaries but faithfull to the books, as a period piece mostly.

  • SaintMark wrote:
    pachazo wrote:
    I think the bottom line is that Moneypenny is just not an interesting enough character to carry a story much less an entire series. We got to see more of her than we ever have before in SF and the results were disappointing. Just keep her as the minor character that she was intended to be.

    At least read the books and recognise that they were done brilliantly and easily put all the recent 007 novels in the shadow.

    The Moneypenny diaries shows a far better Moneypenny than that Mendes generated person.

    I would love seeing the moneypenny diaries but faithfull to the books, as a period piece mostly.

    Really? I think Moneypenny was done extremely well in SF. It would have been too easy to simply reintroduce her in her first-scene as M's secretary, so I applaud the decision to weave her into the narrative and make her a key component to the story. Not only did Eve help with Bond's character arc (she after all delivered the fatal shot that broke him) but she had her own arc: that of naive field-operative who comes to realise that she may not be cut out for the job. The great thing about SF's ending and Mendes's return is that the possibilities for Bond 24 are endless we're just really been introduced to Mallory, Eve and Q so it's going to be a lot of fun re-exploring who those characters are in a modern context. It's one of the reasons the GB at the end works so well: it's a new beginning.

    As for a pitch for the Moneypenny show; I think she could easily be made more 'interesting' to fit say a 4-hour-miniseries. I think it's integral to keep the tone of Westbrook's book but I don't think strict fidelity is necessary. You have to make Moneypenny central to the intrigue and adventure whilst dealing in with the politics of the time. I'm thinking something along the lines of the 'Cambridge Spies' miniseries starring Toby Stephens a few years ago.
  • DarthDimi wrote:
    Initiatives like these serve only one purpose, to dilute a franchise.

    People seem so focused on putting out more product, they forget that in the end the smart thing is to simply make a bloody good film every once in a while.

    We have 14 great Fleming novels, 23 (or 25) films among which true jewels can be found. And we have the soundtracks and tons of books on the subject of James Bond and the James Bond films. Isn't that enough?

    Seriously, a series from the perspective of Moneypenny? Another member recently suggested a series from the perspective of Q. What's next? The Adventures of 008? The Young Ernst Stavro Blofeld Chronicles? The Quantum Files: Prequel To Casino Royale? Comedy Hour With Boris Grishenko? The Jinx And Zao Show? Cooking With Stacey? The Annual Victor Tournjanski "Man-With-Bottle" Awards? Oddjob Goes To Camp? Herr Stamper's House Of Pain (adult entertainment)? May Day: The Animated Series?

    Please, just give me one good film every two or three years. EON isn't Marvel.

    Uh...is it bad if I actually want to see most of those?
Sign In or Register to comment.